News, Updates, and Discussions on next-gen A100 Supra

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Next-gen Supra A100 "could throw tradition out the window"

https://leftlanenews.com/toyota/next-gen-toyota-supra-could-throw-tradition-out-the-window/

And further detail in the source article here (focusing much more on the reasons why the A90 wasn't developed totally in-house due to tightening global regulations):

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/why-toyota-didnt-build-its-own-supra/

This is a way off since the A90 has *just* been released for its first model year but a couple of things in Tetsuya Tada's speculation of what the eventual A100 will become as a radically different car concern and bother me:

1) I fully expect electrification either as a hybrid with any type of engine or just a full electric. No surprises there, by the time we actually get to the point that there is an A100 and the A90 ceases production.

but...

2) Why wouldn't it still be a coupe? That's what a Supra is. It has a distinctive identity and shape as a rear-drive coupe.

3) Why would it be autonomous? Further, how is that even supposed to make sense? What is the point of an autonomous-but-really-believe-me-I'm-still-driver-focused-and-built-to-engage-the-driver sports car? I am honestly having trouble wrapping my head around the concept of why a Supra or any sports car would be autonomous. What is the point of a fast and engaging driver's car that you can no longer go fast in or engage with as a driver?

Everything else related to the traditional drivetrain giving way to a hybrid gas-electric or full electric one is where all cars are going.

But I just don't get why a coupe sportscar can't exist by then or why anyone would want to buy it if they can't actually drive it themselves.

I know he's speculating and this is quite a number of years off but a next generation A100 Supra, despite being electric or electrified, shouldn't cease to be a very emotional coupe design that is very exciting to drive entirely by one's own hands BECAUSE one is driving it with their own hands. AND because it was engineered to satisfy the passionate driver that much.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
https://leftlanenews.com/toyota/next-gen-toyota-supra-could-throw-tradition-out-the-window/

And further detail in the source article here (focusing much more on the reasons why the A90 wasn't developed totally in-house due to tightening global regulations):

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/why-toyota-didnt-build-its-own-supra/

This is a way off since the A90 has *just* been released for its first model year but a couple of things in Tetsuya Tada's speculation of what the eventual A100 will become as a radically different car concern and bother me:

1) I fully expect electrification either as a hybrid with any type of engine or just a full electric. No surprises there, by the time we actually get to the point that there is an A100 and the A90 ceases production.

but...

2) Why wouldn't it still be a coupe? That's what a Supra is. It has a distinctive identity and shape as a rear-drive coupe.

3) Why would it be autonomous? Further, how is that even supposed to make sense? What is the point of an autonomous-but-really-believe-me-I'm-still-driver-focused-and-built-to-engage-the-driver sports car? I am honestly having trouble wrapping my head around the concept of why a Supra or any sports car would be autonomous. What is the point of a fast and engaging driver's car that you can no longer go fast in or engage with as a driver?

Everything else related to the traditional drivetrain giving way to a hybrid gas-electric or full electric one is where all cars are going.

But I just don't get why a coupe sportscar can't exist by then or why anyone would want to buy it if they can't actually drive it themselves.

I know he's speculating and this is quite a number of years off but a next generation A100 Supra, despite being electric or electrified, shouldn't cease to be a very emotional coupe design that is very exciting to drive entirely by one's own hands BECAUSE one is driving it with their own hands. AND because it was engineered to satisfy the passionate driver that much.
I highly doubt that it's going to be electrified or autonomous or anything that we (the driver) will not be in control of anymore. Hybrids (and even normal gas engines especially with how fuel efficient they are) have a very solid future for our world. This is just to appease some higher-ups who want a full electric powertrain but no way in hell would that happen for this car or (to even go on a broader spectrum) this class of car. Hybrids are cool though. They're extremely economical, and there is the opportunity to balance out (and actually goes in favour of the hybrids) the cost/pollution to create the electric motors relative to how many miles they'll be on the road sipping that much less fuel, helping with emissions (we can also recycle these motors and reuse them). Also how electric motors give the car an instant, sporty nature with the torque fill way down low, among the many other amazing things that they provide. The only demerit right now that is a penalty against electric motors is weight.

I highly doubt it's going to be AUTONOMOUS AUTONOMOUS if you know what I mean. I'm pretty damn sure we will still be controlling our cars for many, many, and many more years to come.

Every year we keep saying that it's the end of the analog world, but on the other hand manufacturers release some of the most badass, gas (and hybrid) cars on the planet with all the engine and transmission configurations, driving dynamics and passion that we lust after.

I used to get unnecessarily worried about the future until once I realized that a lot of concepts/plans/projects or sayings from people about the future will either NEVER happen, or it will be tough to implement if they do so.

I'm literally not bothered by this because one, I highly doubt that a lot of the things he says will happen to the Supra or a lot of other cars in general so sudden and so soon. And two, a lot of good and positive change is great, but our cars don't pollute that much anymore and are the best as they can get in terms of technology and performance. I know there is a crusade against fuel usage, but I highly doubt it is feasible at the end. There are a lot of other options to power our cars in this world. This world is full of options on propelling our cars and I genuinely doubt that this is the end of good driving cars. I am genuinely confident that this will never end.

I'm not trying to be overtly positive because a lot of changes will in fact happen for the betterment of our Earth, but there are a lot of other alternative fuels and technologies that will allow us to enjoy our cars and not let things like some full battery electric cars or autonomous driving take all the fun away.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
So many electric and hybrid concepts and still nothing on the roads.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
https://www.motor1.com/news/238161/toyota-ft-hs-concept-we-forgot/

2007 Toyota FT-HS: The Forgotten Supra Concept

Envisioned as a hybrid Supra, the concept was initially approved for production but Toyota ultimately pulled the plug. The styling lived on in the 86.

Name: Toyota FT-HS (Future Toyota Hybrid Sport)
Debuted: 2007 North American International Auto Show in Detroit
Specs: hybridized 3.5-liter V6 with a combined 400 horsepower, four-speed automatic transmission, rear-wheel drive, 2+2 layout, 21-inch carbon fiber wheels

Why We Remember It Now:

While the FT-1 concept from 2014 went on to serve as a preview for the Supra's much-awaited resurrection, today we’re taking a trip down memory lane to 11 years ago when Toyota toyed with the idea of bringing back its beloved sports car.

More than just an interesting appearance at NAIAS, the FT-HS was envisioned with production in mind and it even received the stamp of approval from Toyota’s high-ranked officials. Back in the day, it was described by a Toyota Australia executive as being “a vision for a Toyota Supra of the future.” However, plans were ultimately scrapped within a year after the concept’s debut because of the recession.

Much like the aforementioned FT-1 concept, the FT-HS was styled by Calty Design Research, Toyota’s design studio established back in 1973 in California. The showcar was engineered with a backwards-retractable roof made out of a combination between carbon fiber and Kevlar to turn the concept from a coupe to a convertible in just a few seconds. More carbon fiber was used for the rear diffuser and the 21-inch alloy wheels to keep the weight low.

The FT-HS must’ve made quite the splash in the Motor City back in the day with its wedge shape, “floating” C-pillar, and the absence of a B-pillar. 11 years later, the interior cabin still looks futuristic and has that minimalist approach we’re seeing more and more these days.

“What is a suitable sports car for the 21st century?” Toyota rhetorically asked in the press release. The answer would have to be a rear-wheel drive 2+2 model with a 3.5-liter gasoline engine part of a hybrid powertrain with a combined output of approximately 400 horsepower, good for a run to 60 mph (96 kph) in roughly four seconds. The FT-HS was labeled as being an “attainable exotic” taking the shape of a mid-priced, fun-to-drive sports car with high efficiency granted by the hybrid setup. The four-speed automatic transmission was its Achilles' heel, but surely the production model would’ve received something else.

While the FT-HS never made it to the assembly line, the car’s overall shape and some of the styling did make it to production, just not in the Supra. At the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show, the GT 86 was introduced in road-going specification with most of the concept’s design cues. A new generation of the sports car – now known simply as the “86” – is rumored to arrive in 2021.

As for the revived and much-hyped Supra, the fifth generation will allegedly debut sometime this fall after being previewed once again last month at the Geneva Motor Show by the GR Supra Racing concept.

2007_01_23_FT-HS_Concept-1500x2255.jpg

2007_01_16_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_26_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_17_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_33_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_27_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_30_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_32_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_31_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_29_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_28_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_21_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_23_FT-HS_Concept-1500x2255.jpg

2007_01_20_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_19_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_18_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_04_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_05_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_22_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_FTHS_Concept_006-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_88_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_91_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_86_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_87_FT-HS_Concept-1500x2256.jpg

2007_01_42_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_90_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_84_FT-HS_Concept-1500x2255.jpg

2007_01_41_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_44_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_80_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_79_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg

2007_01_78_FT-HS_Concept-1500x998.jpg
Hybrid Supra?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
The FT-HS was slated to be the new Supra until the economy tanked. According to a few executives I've spoke with about this, it was already in development for production and would have been released sometime around 2011-2012 had the economy not failed. It was designed as 2+2, cockpit interior, and focused more on being a sports car than GT.

2008 is really when much of Toyota lost its soul too. A whole bunch of the OG people were still around before that, many new projects were in the pipeline, and it seemed like the Toyota of the 80s and 90s could make a comeback especially with Akio's rise to power. So for any would-be time travelers out there, if you want to save Toyota and gain the cars you say that you want, then go back and make sure the GFC never happens.

Had the economy not failed, we would likely have an all in-house 86 and an A100 by now. In fact, they started the 86 development in house and the board wouldn't approve the project until the joint venture with Subaru was proposed. Had the board not been terrified of financial losses, that would not have been an issue... And unsurprisingly they still expected the 86 to fail and that they would use that as leverage against Akio and such projects in the future if need be. Thankfully it was a success and did the opposite, but we are still seeing the effects of people worried about profit loss.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
The FT-HS was slated to be the new Supra until the economy tanked. According to a few executives I've spoke with about this, it was already in development for production and would have been released sometime around 2011-2012 had the economy not failed. It was designed as 2+2, cockpit interior, and focused more on being a sports car than GT.

2008 is really when much of Toyota lost its soul too. A whole bunch of the OG people were still around before that, many new projects were in the pipeline, and it seemed like the Toyota of the 80s and 90s could make a comeback especially with Akio's rise to power. So for any would-be time travelers out there, if you want to save Toyota and gain the cars you say that you want, then go back and make sure the GFC never happens.

Had the economy not failed, we would likely have an all in-house 86 and an A100 by now. In fact, they started the 86 development in house and the board wouldn't approve the project until the joint venture with Subaru was proposed. Had the board not been terrified of financial losses, that would not have been an issue... And unsurprisingly they still expected the 86 to fail and that they would use that as leverage against Akio and such projects in the future if need be. Thankfully it was a success and did the opposite, but we are still seeing the effects of people worried about profit loss.
Would have been amazing to see the Rugged Sport Coupe Concept and A-Bat come to production. Really liked the original FT-86 concept as well.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX

As if I needed another reason to hate Bush

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Are you able to get a hold of any blueprints/CAD images, clay models, and specs? I know it doesn't really matter now, but it would be fun to see what could have been. Kinda like how GM released all stuff on all those stillborn engine-mid Corvettes.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I remember the FT-HS very well from the car magazines of the time and I recall strongly not liking its looks compared to the Supra MKIV which was still only recently deceased by a mere 5 years in 2007. The idea of no manual trans and a Prius-like V6 hybrid powertrain with no turbocharging combined with those looks was not appealing to me at all.

Frankly I was very glad at the time to see the Supra not become the FT-HS concept as it was presented, styled and optioned.

Little did I know until now that it would be the last gasp of old Toyota fully in-house sportscar engineering until years later. Wow! Now I am looking back on it with a much more informed perspective. I still feel that especially at that time there is no way a non-turbo automatic only Supra hybrid would have been remotely appealing. With Today's technology and regulatory constraints I now see it as inevitable once this "A90" generation eventually ends (but I'm happy not to have to consider that at the moment).

I have to agree about what could have been if only the economy had not tanked and given rise to a general sense of averting so much risk that almost no performance car passion projects are greenlit any longer.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I saw this in person at one of the Melbourne motor shows

It was truly horrible, the design does not work at all.

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Sti, 2005 Forester XT
the real production will be nothing like that. suprise camry hybrid style..

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Apparently the drivetrain they wanted to use made nowhere near 400hp, so it would have likely been a V8 or V6TT for production.

But yeah, no idea what it would have looked like...

Are you able to get a hold of any blueprints/CAD images, clay models, and specs? I know it doesn't really matter now, but it would be fun to see what could have been. Kinda like how GM released all stuff on all those stillborn engine-mid Corvettes.
Access yes, but not for public consumption.
Sponsored