News, Updates, and Discussions on next-gen A100 Supra

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I think I read Toyota said GA-L couldn't be shortened for the IS, so maybe perhaps GA-N which is used for the Crown and Mirai.
They should just shorten and reskin the LC-F and call it a day.
Why not use the current a90 platform? I donā€™t know what kind of rights Toyota has to the unibody or intellectual property on how it is assembled and manufactured but I am assuming they have rights to it if they helped develop it as much as they claim. Making things bigger is easy (according to Tada San) and it can easily have an extended wheelbase (which CLAR supports) for the next gen to house the battery and extra motors. This would greatly reduce cost along with using a higher output version of a mass produced TNGA drivetrain.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
slightly off topic, but if Toyota is divorcing BMW after the A90 wraps up; it would also give more credence to the reports of BMW killing off Z4 after it runs its course.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/bmw-could-kill-off-z4-after-its-current-gen-life-cycle.2032/
The Z4 was DOA and it is clear BMW has no intentions on supporting it, Iā€™d be surprised if it makes it to 2025. They didnā€™t even find a way to meet emissions in the B58D in European markets with a particle filter like the M340i, nor did they even mention the G29 in the 48v electrical system update

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
The Z4 was DOA and it is clear BMW has no intentions on supporting it, Iā€™d be surprised if it makes it to 2025. They didnā€™t even find a way to meet emissions in the B58D in European markets with a particle filter like the M340i, nor did they even mention the G29 in the 48v electrical system update
Even having read all those details before it's just sad. I of course prefer the Supra twin but the Z4 isn't a bad car at all. More crossovers and CUVs for everyone I guess... <insert Triumph the insult comic dog catch-phrase here>.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Even having read all those details before it's just sad. I of course prefer the Supra twin but the Z4 isn't a bad car at all. More crossovers and CUVs for everyone I guess... <insert Triumph the insult comic dog catch-phrase here>.
That is what happens when you make a good all arounder that isn't particularly great at anything.

Those who want a sporty roadster will buy the Boxster.
The older couple who say they want a car like this will buy an SL.
The hair dresser who wants a 'fancy' convertible will buy the cheaper 2 series convertible.

The Z4 has no place in the market and will be dead when the 2 series convertible comes out. The worst part is that it impacts the Supra if the Supra can't break free from the Z4's unsupported life cycle.

OP
OP
vb22

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
@A70TTR, interesting piece posted on Supraforums today. A preview of whats to come on the next Supra?

BTW, I saw a video today that indicates the 2022 (IIRC) Lexus LX 570 and Toyota Land Cruiser will have the 3.5L TT V6, along with hybrid power. Mind you, without hybridization, the motor already makes 415 hp and 442 lb-ft in the LS 500. The next Tundra is also suppose to get a version of this set-up. The speaker in the video conservatively estimated 500 hp and 500 lb-ft, with the Land Cruiser/LX combo and the Tundra all slated to be significantly lighter than their current iterations (the Tundra is reported to get mid-30 MPG along with more power and lighter weight).

I mention all this because of Boost Wang's earlier post about this motor in a modified LC 500 chassis. Now, this motor in the LS 500 is next level in every respect, so I find it amazing Toyota did not use the MKV Supra as another company vehicle to amortize the cost of this motor across the upper end of its model ranges. This is what it did with the 2JZ-GTE in the Supra, Aristo and the Chaser, I believe. Rumors say there will be an all-Toyota A100 Supra (there's already a thread on this) so maybe there's still hope though I, personally, don't have any.

Ken.
Sponsored