Octane Boosters

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys, so I’ve been running Map2 on a JB4 for a few weeks and out here in Nevada I can only find 91 octane gas. I’ve used “Race Gas” brand octane booster for 2 tanks now that I buy from Summit Racing which seems to work very well. The only thing I don’t like is that I’ve noticed a brown residue it’s leaving on my exhaust tips so I wonder if that’s normal for all octane boosters. I also worry that it might be leaving harmful deposits in the engine, on the spark plugs, etc. The product says it will not harm cat converters, o2 sensors, etc.

Do any of you guys out in the West use octane boosters? If so, what do you recommend? If you do use them, have you seen any drawbacks, issues, etc.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Nope

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
Hi guys, so I’ve been running Map2 on a JB4 for a few weeks and out here in Nevada I can only find 91 octane gas. I’ve used “Race Gas” brand octane booster for 2 tanks now that I buy from Summit Racing which seems to work very well. The only thing I don’t like is that I’ve noticed a brown residue it’s leaving on my exhaust tips so I wonder if that’s normal for all octane boosters. I also worry that it might be leaving harmful deposits in the engine, on the spark plugs, etc. The product says it will not harm cat converters, o2 sensors, etc.

Do any of you guys out in the West use octane boosters? If so, what do you recommend? If you do use them, have you seen any drawbacks, issues, etc.

Thanks!
I use royal purple MAX Boost. It boosts the octane rating by about 3 so 92 becomes somewhere in the ballpark of 93-95. Which is good enough to run map 3. Usually I'll pour in a bottle on 1/4 tank and immediately fill, and if I've been running without the additive I'll drive for 5-10 minutes before switching maps. No issues so far! My reason for choosing RP was this article: https://motoiq.com/tested-royal-purple-max-boost-octane-booster/

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I use royal purple MAX Boost. It boosts the octane rating by about 3 so 92 becomes somewhere in the ballpark of 93-95. Which is good enough to run map 3. Usually I'll pour in a bottle on 1/4 tank and immediately fill, and if I've been running without the additive I'll drive for 5-10 minutes before switching maps. No issues so far! My reason for choosing RP was this article: https://motoiq.com/tested-royal-purple-max-boost-octane-booster/
Cool. Thanks for the article. Do you use it all the time every time you fill up? Do you notice a brown residue or anything else on your exhaust tips? This is what mine looks like and I don’t think it looked like that before adding the octane booster.

Attachments

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. No e85 around here either. Closest is in California a few hours away

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra / 2014 Nissan GT-R / 2019 Mini Cooper S
The brownish residue is (MMT) Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl a gasoline octane enhancer that’s found in most octane boosters... Long term use will cause your spark plugs to foul sooner... If it were me, I would try and find race gas locally... It burns cleaner...

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The brownish residue is (MMT) Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl a gasoline octane enhancer that’s found in most octane boosters... Long term use will cause your spark plugs to foul sooner... If it were me, I would try and find race gas locally... It burns cleaner...
Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to know, if it would mess anything up in my car. I guess I’ll just use Map2 occasionally and stick with Map1 on the JB4.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
I give thumbs up to the RP brand as well........BUT if you were to pull a plug or two, you will notice that same residue on them. Even though no harm done and think the RP is pretty good, I give the plugs a break every 2 - 3 tanks with straight gas. May have to keep the jb4 at map 2 but you won't get the plugs all gunked up either.....

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I give thumbs up to the RP brand as well........BUT if you were to pull a plug or two, you will notice that same residue on them. Even though no harm done and think the RP is pretty good, I give the plugs a break every 2 - 3 tanks with straight gas. May have to keep the jb4 at map 2 but you won't get the plugs all gunked up either.....
Thanks for this info, but why would you keep the JB4 at Map2 if I were to give the car a break and use 91 for a few tanks?

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Thanks for this info, but why would you keep the JB4 at Map2 if I were to give the car a break and use 91 for a few tanks?
I use the jb4 as well on my Stinger and anything above map 2 calls for 93 'bare minimum" but higher is recommended. Since you don't have E85 available, not using an Octane booster would put you at "recommended" map 2 due to 91 octane only.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I use the jb4 as well on my Stinger and anything above map 2 calls for 93 'bare minimum" but higher is recommended. Since you don't have E85 available, not using an Octane booster would put you at "recommended" map 2 due to 91 octane only.
I gotcha. Thanks for the helpful info. I appreciate it.
Sponsored