šŸ‘£ Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Have you guys ever considered paying the 10,000 for the manual conversion? Really not all that expensive
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Have you guys ever considered paying the 10,000 for the manual conversion? Really not all that expensive
You'd have to be MT simp desperate enough to pay 10k for temperamental trans conversion. Kudos to EAG for doing the work as poc, but I ain't touching that.

Maybe back in the day where not everything was electronically controlled, I could see some people switching over... I've not closely followed up with it, did anyone actually ever buy it?

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
did anyone actually ever buy it?
I doubt it. Itā€™s a lot easier for people to get on the forums and hate on bmw/Toyota than to slap 10k down and get it done yourself.

Personally if the base price of the car was 55k with a manual but a zf trans upgrade for 10k then I would have payed the extra 10k. Just think of it that way

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
You'd have to be MT simp desperate enough to pay 10k for temperamental trans conversion. Kudos to EAG for doing the work as poc, but I ain't touching that.
This. If it's a dedicated project car for shows or ?? (not track... it will be slower, but drift maybe) then it would have been worth it for wow-factor possibly. For anyone else you've got the problem with it not only being $15K-$25K "burned" (note that it's $15K for just the kit) - it's vaporizing that money in order to have a car with no warranty and limited resale value. If you factor in residual/depreciation losses it might be more like ~$35K! :eek:

Other than EAG themselves, and maybe a couple YT'ers or shop show cars... I think most people (certainly myself) would have opted to just get a new Cayman S specified with the (much better) Porsche 6MT than spend close to $80K for a warranty-voided MKV if rowing gears was of paramount importance.

Reactions: zrk

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
@Guff, you should make your next video on this.
Once it's real, I'll drive one and make a video. For now I'll keep a backseat for the speculation!

I do think this is coming, I have multiple sources that have mentioned it as well. But there was also a manual Supra in production testing back in the original camo prototype days, and it still got axed.

Let's see what happens!

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
For anyone else you've got the problem with it not only being $15K-$25K "burned"
Not too bad. Iā€™m planning to buy a gen 3 viper after the Supra. Switching from stick to sequential is 40,000 for the kit alone. Iā€™m planning to pay a 60,000 bill to ditch the stick. If people Ā« need Ā» it, then weā€™d see number of people buying it. Iā€™ve seen countless vipers with sequential shifters in my area. Granted they pay money to get faster, probably less people will pay money to go slower..

edit: sorry older folks but yes this 20 year old does know how to drive stick aswell. Had money down on a Shelby 350 before I bought the c8/Supra

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Well, great news IF it's true. I guess that's the beauty of competition: with Nissan coming out with the new Z with 400 HP and a manual for ~$40K, Toyota had to react I suppose. I don't think the manual, standing alone, would cause me to trade, but if there were more performance-related upgrades and/or an unlocked ECU, that could get me off the fence.

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
If there was a 6mt option before I bought my Supra, I would have 100% went that route. Now that I own automatic, i'd have to get a great deal without taking much of a loss to swap.

At that point, i'd just consider upgrading to a G82 M4 with a 6mt.

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
If there was a 6mt option before I bought my Supra, I would have 100% went that route. Now that I own automatic, i'd have to get a great deal without taking much of a loss to swap.

At that point, i'd just consider upgrading to a G82 M4 with a 6mt.
If TNZ say a six speed manual Supra is coming, its coming, whether or not you guys get it is up to TUSA

As the 400Z is showing up (probably the main reason Toyota are going with a manual option) you guys will get it

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
If TNZ say a six speed manual Supra is coming, its coming, whether or not you guys get it is up to TUSA

As the 400Z is showing up (probably the main reason Toyota are going with a manual option) you guys will get it
What is incredibly annoying is that public reaction and demand for a manual Supra from the beginning didn't seem to elicit much of a response from Toyota... but Nissan offering a V6 twin turbo 6-speed manual Z finally did. Well, it's happening and that's all that really matters.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
I wouldn't trust myself with a manual while trying to hit the torque numbers I'm aiming to achieve.

I am looking forward to the GR Corolla with a manual.

Last edited:

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I wouldn't trust myself with a manual while trying to hit the torque numbers I'm aiming to achieve.

I am looking forward to the GR Corolla with a manual.
Me too... actually I'm much more interested in that than I am in the new Z. Although if I didn't already have the MKV I'm not convinced I'd feel the same. ;)

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet

Is there an official statement by Toyota New Zealand?

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 Cobra and 1998 Eclipse GSX.
What if they included a no-lift shift system for the manual? Would that sway anyone that wanted to stay with the auto?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.