šŸ‘£ Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
I think this is great news for people who really want a manual. Should give Toyota a nice boost in sales too, A70TTR my suspicion is that because of Covid and supply constraints Toyota may keep the Supra around an extra year or two (2026 was supposed to be the last model year). Do you think that is possible? Especially if they keep evolving the platform as Tada-San eluded to. Let's say manual for 2023 model year car and then a higher horsepower version for 2024 and then track focused car for 2025? Etc? Seems like they could keep the interest going for this car.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Once it's real, I'll drive one and make a video. For now I'll keep a backseat for the speculation!

I do think this is coming, I have multiple sources that have mentioned it as well. But there was also a manual Supra in production testing back in the original camo prototype days, and it still got axed.

Let's see what happens!
Hmmm, do you still know how to drive a manual after all this time with the ZF8? :p

I kid ;)

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Since there's no news on a manual option still, I just bought an Mk4 plus T56 swap kit instead. Not before test driving the MkV though, but the car felt surprisingly numb on the street. The auto was a big negative and really made the car feel like a boring albeit fast appliance. Sad really, I like how the car looks.
I also own an R33 GTR, an AE86 and an old Camry. Only the Camry has an auto, which is fine in a reliable grocery getter, but just not fun in a week-end toy.

Then again, I'd pay extra to get rid of the infotainment stuff, electric seats and so on. Which I may actually do sometime next year by ordering a GRJ76 Land Cruiser for some 80 grand.
Mr. Big baller over here .
Save some cars for the rest of us...

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Since there's no news on a manual option still, I just bought an Mk4 plus T56 swap kit instead. Not before test driving the MkV though, but the car felt surprisingly numb on the street. The auto was a big negative and really made the car feel like a boring albeit fast appliance. Sad really, I like how the car looks.
I also own an R33 GTR, an AE86 and an old Camry. Only the Camry has an auto, which is fine in a reliable grocery getter, but just not fun in a week-end toy.

Then again, I'd pay extra to get rid of the infotainment stuff, electric seats and so on. Which I may actually do sometime next year by ordering a GRJ76 Land Cruiser for some 80 grand.
Are you rich?

Turbro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Strat 3.0 MT, 94 Supra TT 6Spd
Manual is apparently coming and from the sound of it to the 3L for MY23.

Merry Christmas :D
If you are saying this, I have some other cars to sell now...

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm, do you still know how to drive a manual after all this time with the ZF8? :p

I kid ;)
Honestly I'm not sure hahaha. Clutch pedal is the middle one, right? o_O

I'll tell you what though, and I might catch some flak for this, I am a little bored of my Supra. As wonderful as it is, it really does need to be a bit more engaging IMO. But honestly, I'd value an updated EPS rack as much as a Manual Trans when it comes to improving the A90. Getting both would really let this chassis shine.

But if I'm being very honest, it's too little too late for us. I'm not selling my car with 35k miles just to pay 20k on top to have a manual. I'll just keep buying old jalopies like my '76 Celica and having fun with them. Oh and maybe a GR Corolla if it doesn't suck.

In the end, the Supra doesn't have to be a perfect car, it does a damn good job at a lot of things for a lot of people. Having a manual version might give that opportunity to a few more people and we're all better off for it. I'll keep driving my ZF8 Supra and enjoying it, despite a few flaws!

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I'll tell you what though, and I might catch some flak for this, I am a little bored of my Supra.
Totally understandable. Most sports cars don't have a long shelf life, especially for an enthusiast. I like my Supra a lot but I do find myself looking at Camaro ZLEs and G80 M3s more and more. I think it would help if Toyota/BMW were a little friendlier toward tuners and enthusiasts. In some ways, it seems like Toyota thought Supra buyers would be a lot like Z4 buyers in that they want something comfortable for a drive in the country rather than harder-edged for the track.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Totally understandable. Most sports cars don't have a long shelf life, especially for an enthusiast. I like my Supra a lot but I do find myself looking at Camaro ZLEs and G80 M3s more and more. I think it would help if Toyota/BMW were a little friendlier toward tuners and enthusiasts. In some ways, it seems like Toyota thought Supra buyers would be a lot like Z4 buyers in that they want something comfortable for a drive in the country rather than harder-edged for the track.
Paging Lotus!!!

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Honestly I'm not sure hahaha. Clutch pedal is the middle one, right? o_O

I'll tell you what though, and I might catch some flak for this, I am a little bored of my Supra. As wonderful as it is, it really does need to be a bit more engaging IMO. But honestly, I'd value an updated EPS rack as much as a Manual Trans when it comes to improving the A90. Getting both would really let this chassis shine.

But if I'm being very honest, it's too little too late for us. I'm not selling my car with 35k miles just to pay 20k on top to have a manual. I'll just keep buying old jalopies like my '76 Celica and having fun with them. Oh and maybe a GR Corolla if it doesn't suck.

In the end, the Supra doesn't have to be a perfect car, it does a damn good job at a lot of things for a lot of people. Having a manual version might give that opportunity to a few more people and we're all better off for it. I'll keep driving my ZF8 Supra and enjoying it, despite a few flaws!
Guff, I understand and it's sizable amount of money to spend AFTER acquiring your current MKV and spending to restore it as you have.

However if Toyota has a factory manual 3.0L MKV available there is nothing to stop you from buying that manual gearbox, the pedal set, differential, ECU and other components and converting your MKV to factory manual spec with some fine tuning to make it that much more interesting for you : )

I see the availability of the parts and standard official configuration as the other unspoken win here. And that should be the same when it will come to the GRMN parts list.

The GR Corolla has my attention as well. I don't think we'll be disappointed by that.

Now when it comes to your 1976 Celica... that's a whole other ballgame. I love those cars ; )

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I am torn as to whether to upgrade to the 6MT or not. The ZF8 is a sensational transmission, and it's a nice point of difference to the other Supras I own. But, I love manuals...

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Not too bad. Iā€™m planning to buy a gen 3 viper after the Supra. Switching from stick to sequential is 40,000 for the kit alone. Iā€™m planning to pay a 60,000 bill to ditch the stick. If people Ā« need Ā» it, then weā€™d see number of people buying it. Iā€™ve seen countless vipers with sequential shifters in my area. Granted they pay money to get faster, probably less people will pay money to go slower..

edit: sorry older folks but yes this 20 year old does know how to drive stick aswell. Had money down on a Shelby 350 before I bought the c8/Supra
No one should have to apologize to spend what the fk they want on what they like to drive. The only rub is telling others that your OPINION Is the fkn gospel about it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.