Sponsored

Wukong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2024 Tacoma Trailhunter
We took the 2024 Toyota Tacoma off roading! Also an Interview with the Assistant Chief Engineer of the all new Toyota Tacoma to answer some important questions.

Sponsored

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Love this guy, good questions
 he and Tinkerer are the real deal.
Air Dam on the OR Hybrid, let the whining commence!

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Love the video.

I took this truck (2010 SR5)on Road America to get from pit exit to turn 3 when I was flagging before I ran full speed with my X-Runner back in the day!

2024 Tacoma Offroading the 2024 Tacoma | Answering Important Questions - by The Car Care Nut thumbnail_IMG_0469

2024 Tacoma Offroading the 2024 Tacoma | Answering Important Questions - by The Car Care Nut scan0007

theKurt

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
He did address the lesser HP/torque on the manual. Although the engineer didn’t say “crankshaft hammering” like Sheldon did, he mentioned how they couldn’t control the output on the manual like they could on the auto. He talked about clutch dumps and such and very briefly mentioned emissions.

I’m no expert (maybe someone here is?) but I don’t see how 7hp/torque changes anything with regards to ‘controlling output’. I very much believe it’s been detuned purely for emissions since it loses 2 gears from the 8A and they can’t override the driver’s gear selection with software.

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
He did address the lesser HP/torque on the manual. Although the engineer didn’t say “crankshaft hammering” like Sheldon did, he mentioned how they couldn’t control the output on the manual like they could on the auto. He talked about clutch dumps and such and very briefly mentioned emissions.

I’m no expert (maybe someone here is?) but I don’t see how 7hp/torque changes anything with regards to ‘controlling output’. I very much believe it’s been detuned purely for emissions since it loses 2 gears from the 8A and they can’t override the driver’s gear selection with software.
What he didn't mention is that an auto trans has parasitic losses, which is the much more likely explanation for the difference in power.

theKurt

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
What he didn't mention is that an auto trans has parasitic losses, which is the much more likely explanation for the difference in power.
that is true. But is the 278 crankshaft HP or at the wheels? Its usually published as crank HP/torque so the transmission losses wouldn't come into play just yet.

They probably could have just marketed as 270hp or 278hp all across the board in that case. Few people will dyno it and any discrepancies found from those who did could be explained away as tolerances in manufacturing. It just seems weird that they would state two different values that are really quite close together, but I guess they will try to publish the highest value possible to make sure they are as competitive as possible in the midsize category and then make sure they didn't get a class action suit from all the 6M drivers out there for missing ponies.

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
that is true. But is the 278 crankshaft HP or at the wheels? Its usually published as crank HP/torque so the transmission losses wouldn't come into play just yet.

They probably could have just marketed as 270hp or 278hp all across the board in that case. Few people will dyno it and any discrepancies found from those who did could be explained away as tolerances in manufacturing. It just seems weird that they would state two different values that are really quite close together, but I guess they will try to publish the highest value possible to make sure they are as competitive as possible in the midsize category and then make sure they didn't get a class action suit from all the 6M drivers out there for missing ponies.
They always provide the numbers as crankshaft horsepower. The point is that is very typical for auto manufacturers to detune the stick shift versions of vehicles when they also offer that vehicle in an automatic. The losses that are created by the automatic transmission are buffered by the additional horsepower at the engine so you can have comparable performance from a perceived point with either transmission. It's all about consumer perception. It's marketing.

theKurt

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
ah....gotcha. So the resulting wheel horsepower ends up being about the same in both cases. (y)