Oil Level Analysis with EcuTek

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
To keep gathering data with oil level concerns I’ve decided to conduct a study using my EcuTek system.

The app has the ability to take oil level measurements down to the millimeter. I’m trying to determine how much oil is consumed before the iDrive detects it.

I took measurements at every fill up so the measurement variables were consistent. As you can see my car consumed roughly 1mm per 200miles and 11mm total.

I drained the oil to see how much 11mm equaled by volume. The catch pan had 6 liters and the filter 200 mL. The total oil consumed was 300 mL per 2000 miles.

What’s wild is that the iDrive still indicated oil was at max level. I’m wondering if you need to consume at least 500 mL before it detects a lower level.

If anyone has taken readings on a secondary app when the iDrive showed it was low can you please respond here.

-RJM

8DDDBD6E-54EC-42D2-9692-B01F6FB37122.jpeg

FD537411-C29A-4498-BCD5-49AA8A6D4EC2.jpeg

8F5FFD60-CC2E-47C9-B930-EE91C6C9E64B.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Beyond the BMW sensor being essentially crap... ;) I'd guess (just like the fuel) that there is a bit of 'slack' at the top and bottom limits of the sensor for safety sake. I don't mean in the sense that it's safe to ignore - but rather they programmed it to avoid idiots trying to always top off their oil if it showed being low as soon as it was down a few ounces.

I wish I could contribute more meaningful data... if you'd like to hook me up with an ECUTEK & tune, I'd be more than happy to log anything you want all year long. ?

OP
OP
Loco38SUP

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Beyond the BMW sensor being essentially crap... ;) I'd guess (just like the fuel) that there is a bit of 'slack' at the top and bottom limits of the sensor for safety sake. I don't mean in the sense that it's safe to ignore - but rather they programmed it to avoid idiots trying to always top off their oil if it showed being low as soon as it was down a few ounces.

I wish I could contribute more meaningful data... if you'd like to hook me up with an ECUTEK & tune, I'd be more than happy to log anything you want all year long. ?
We need @EcuTek to hook us up with a few units for Science. ?

-RJM

OP
OP
Loco38SUP

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can I use my ekutek OBD ll dongle and the app to get this information or do I need to get a license for the Supra and "unlock" the ecu?
You should be able to connect the dongle and look at your dashboard. That’s where you select the parameters to monitor.

-RJM

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
Did you replace your oil sensor? Or are you just getting finer data using the ECUTek to pull from CANbus?

OP
OP
Loco38SUP

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Did you replace your oil sensor? Or are you just getting finer data using the ECUTek to pull from CANbus?
Its the stock sensor. I’m using the EcuTek to pull from the CAN bus. The sensor has the resolution to give more detailed readings. But iDrive software only shows a max and min scale.

-RJM

OP
OP
Loco38SUP

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have another update based on data shared by @Branflakes123 and compared to my own findings.

The iDrive system based on oil level is as follows:

- 100% (6.6 liters) = 97mm
- 100% (iDrive max) = 97-85mm
- 75% = 84mm
- 50% = 82mm
- 25% = 81mm
- 0% (iDrive min) = 78mm (add 1 quart)

The engine has 6.6 liters at an oil change. This equals 97mm on OBD apps. From 97mm to 78mm is roughly 1.5 quarts.

When the system hits 78mm it will tell you to add a quart of oil. Once added the oil level will increase to 89mm and read 100% on the iDrive.

I imagine this is a factory failsafe to keep people from overfilling the engine oil. Though you will not return to 6.6 liters you’re still within an aceptable level to run the engine.

This information should help people that have a broken iDrive and can’t run a normal oil measurement.

-RJM

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
May I add that my oil level showed 50% full and it was 1.5 qt down when I went for a change

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
this is an actual detailed, scientific(almost) thread.
thank you for taking the time and effort.

I knew the idrive has some "slack" in reporting and it is as above suspected so that people are not over thinking and overfilling

I don't want to test it but i bet there is some safety factor even below "low oil" in the oiling design.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I have another update based on data shared by @Branflakes123 and compared to my own findings.

The iDrive system based on oil level is as follows:

- 100% (6.6 liters) = 97mm
- 100% (iDrive max) = 97-85mm
- 75% = 84mm
- 50% = 82mm
- 25% = 81mm
- 0% (iDrive min) = 78mm (add 1 quart)

The engine has 6.6 liters at an oil change. This equals 97mm on OBD apps. From 97mm to 78mm is roughly 1.5 quarts.

When the system hits 78mm it will tell you to add a quart of oil. Once added the oil level will increase to 89mm and read 100% on the iDrive.

I imagine this is a factory failsafe to keep people from overfilling the engine oil. Though you will not return to 6.6 liters you’re still within an aceptable level to run the engine.

This information should help people that have a broken iDrive and can’t run a normal oil measurement.

-RJM
This is fantastic. Thank you.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Incredible amount of research and info in this thread. My sensor stopped giving me oil readings so I had to start checking raw sensor data from BimmerLink. This thread helped me better understand where I am at.

I actually brought my car into the dealer to have them address this problem. They first replaced the sensor, and it did not fix the problem. I am scheduled to have my oil pump fixed which they claim has fixed two other supras not just when they had problems measuring oil level, but also problems with oil consumption.

I am hopeful for the best and will try to update once I have an idea if this fix is a real solution.

For reference I was documenting my oil consumption on my own and for the last two quarts before iDrive could no longer measure the oil, I burned a quart of oil ever 600 miles.

Tsuekasa

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium 2018 Wrx Sti Base
Incredible amount of research and info in this thread. My sensor stopped giving me oil readings so I had to start checking raw sensor data from BimmerLink. This thread helped me better understand where I am at.

I actually brought my car into the dealer to have them address this problem. They first replaced the sensor, and it did not fix the problem. I am scheduled to have my oil pump fixed which they claim has fixed two other supras not just when they had problems measuring oil level, but also problems with oil consumption.

I am hopeful for the best and will try to update once I have an idea if this fix is a real solution.

For reference I was documenting my oil consumption on my own and for the last two quarts before iDrive could no longer measure the oil, I burned a quart of oil ever 600 miles.
I've actually doing the same thing. My idrive will stop at 19% and now i'm using bimmerlink to measure oil which is to me a more acurate reading. After doing a lot of research on bmw threads and youtube videos. I would suggest checking to see if the oil filter cap gasket is there or properly sealed. I've yet to check this but it has fixed a couple of bmws that have the same exact issue.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I've actually doing the same thing. My idrive will stop at 19% and now i'm using bimmerlink to measure oil which is to me a more acurate reading. After doing a lot of research on bmw threads and youtube videos. I would suggest checking to see if the oil filter cap gasket is there or properly sealed. I've yet to check this but it has fixed a couple of bmws that have the same exact issue.
after my sensor seized I took mine into the dealer. They replaced the sensor but that didn’t fix the issue? I am only guessing as they kept the car and opted to drop the subframe and replace the oil pump

works great now, car consumes less oil too
Sponsored