Order & Delivery Process with Toyota

f22bub

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
Hi Everyone,

just curious about the process and how it went for you guys. I ordered my car 93 days ago and have received a confirmation on the same day, since then I have not received a call, e-mail, letter or anything like that. It's as if I never ordered a car. I know its not a 992 GT3, and I don't expect a message every day, but come on! When I inquire about the status or anything else with my dealership, they take ages to respond and always respond with some lame-ass response full of nothingness. My order is still in progress, I don't even have a estimated date of WHEN they think they will build the car. I love how the car looks and was really happy when I ordered it, but those emotions have since turned into regret for not getting a BMW M2 Comp. I am in Germany by the way and the dealership is the largest Toyota and Lexus dealership in Germany so I guess they should be a positive representation of what can be expected from them here in Germany.

So my question for everyone out there (no matter your location), what have your experiences been with ordering a new Supra in terms of communication and the actual delivery itself?
Sponsored

TX2.0

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra, '19 XT4, Club Car Precedent
Not to derail your thread, however the best experience with ordering a car that was not immediately available was with a 2002 Thunderbird.
The car arrived 18 months after I committed to purchase and price with a dealer in Dade City, FL.
I believe that the car was originally supposed to be a 2000 model. It was delayed by Ford constantly but they sent a gift every three months. A book on T-birds. A most detailed model that was in my ordered color and interior and other gifts.
It arrived in the summer of 2001 and I drove it until 2011.

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
So my question for everyone out there (no matter your location), what have your experiences been with ordering a new Supra in terms of communication and the actual delivery itself?
Mine was awful. Ordered in May of 2020, given the mushroom treatment until October, then told in November it wouldn't be delivered until Jan-Feb of 21' due to the A91 trunk lip production issues. Eventually dealer sourced an A91 that had been sitting 20 miles away from a buyer that backed out -- and even that was awful. It was covered in rail dust and had marring on the hood from straps slapping against it during transit. Literally worst car buying experience I've had, but I knew I was in for it buying a car that 98% of Toyota dealership employees not even knowing what it was.

OP
OP
f22bub

f22bub

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not to derail your thread, however the best experience with ordering a car that was not immediately available was with a 2002 Thunderbird.
The car arrived 18 months after I committed to purchase and price with a dealer in Dade City, FL.
I believe that the car was originally supposed to be a 2000 model. It was delayed by Ford constantly but they sent a gift every three months. A book on T-birds. A most detailed model that was in my ordered color and interior and other gifts.
It arrived in the summer of 2001 and I drove it until 2011.
Cool story! At least they wrote you something every three months and it's a different story if the whole release is postponed I guess. All I see is other folks getting their cars, except for me lol!

Mine was awful. Ordered in May of 2020, given the mushroom treatment until October, then told in November it wouldn't be delivered until Jan-Feb of 21' due to the A91 trunk lip production issues. Eventually dealer sourced an A91 that had been sitting 20 miles away from a buyer that backed out -- and even that was awful. It was covered in rail dust and had marring on the hood from straps slapping against it during transit. Literally worst car buying experience I've had, but I knew I was in for it buying a car that 98% of Toyota dealership employees not even knowing what it was.
That sounds even worse than my Toyota Experience, awful!

PeteBaja

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Pro, Toyota MR2 Mk3, Audi A2
I hope that you find the following news useful, like yourself I have placed an order for a European spec Supra at the start of the year - in my case a 3.0 Pro which seems to be similar to the Premium in the US without the power upgrade due to EURO emissions.
So, after initially being told that my order was to be completed by mid May (i.e. anytime now!), the date has been pushed back to June and then July only to be informed today that the 3.0 Pro is being replaced by a different spec and that all orders for the 3.0 Pro are being cancelled and being replaced by the new model name which seems to mirror the US naming convention - i.e. 3.0 Premium. My revised date for collection is now mid August and the salesman involved has been ensuring that I receive some form of compensation for the delay in the form of free services.
It's been a long wait so I can empathise fully.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Ordering through Toyota is the worst. In 2003 I ordered a Double Cab Tacoma. It took 6 months to deliver because of special options and availability at the time. Well the truck showed up a week early and no one bothered to tell me. When I went down to the dealership on delivery day it was gone. They had sold it to someone else the week prior!!

I will never order another vehicle from Toyota. If its not in inventory on a car lot somewhere then forget it.

You’re better off finding one yourself and having it imported if possible.

-RJM

OP
OP
f22bub

f22bub

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I hope that you find the following news useful, like yourself I have placed an order for a European spec Supra at the start of the year - in my case a 3.0 Pro which seems to be similar to the Premium in the US without the power upgrade due to EURO emissions.
So, after initially being told that my order was to be completed by mid May (i.e. anytime now!), the date has been pushed back to June and then July only to be informed today that the 3.0 Pro is being replaced by a different spec and that all orders for the 3.0 Pro are being cancelled and being replaced by the new model name which seems to mirror the US naming convention - i.e. 3.0 Premium. My revised date for collection is now mid August and the salesman involved has been ensuring that I receive some form of compensation for the delay in the form of free services.
It's been a long wait so I can empathise fully.
That is super interesting and absolutely frightening at the same time. Naming conventions are different for most countries so here in Germany we don't have Pro or anything like that. You can order a 3.0, and optionally purchase the "Premium-Package" (that comes with HUD, Full-Leather Seats, etc.), which I did not get because I hated the Full Leather Seats. But I think we ordered pretty much the same model, so I guess the same is valid for me too... man, if they give us the extra horsepower and new suspension, I can live with that.. but if not, I am absolutely throwing a tantrum lol

OP
OP
f22bub

f22bub

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@PeteBaja Oh boy, after I read your comment I asked my dealer (because apparently it's too much for him to move a finger without telling him), and while he did not confirm that there's a change in the model, he told me my delivery date was moved from May to August - just like yours. He did not offer to compensate it in any way though ... Please let me know if your dealer updates you with any more info regarding the new model, I will make sure to do the same if I get more infos!

PeteBaja

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Pro, Toyota MR2 Mk3, Audi A2
No problem, will do.
I placed my order at the start of January this year thinking that I'd have the car for Easter and to enjoy the car through the summer and initially details were thin on the ground as the salesman wasn't getting any info from Toyota GB. After a couple of requests for info I was told that the ETA was mid May with a first registration date of the end of July - quite a difference between those two dates! Then mid May changed to mid July and I had to cancel a holiday trip for my partner as we were due to go around the newly revised date. Then as you already know, the date has now been moved to mid August which is disappointing as I'll now miss most of the summer to enjoy the car.
My salesman has been in contact with Toyota GB, explaining that my order has been pushed back so much that he would like to offer me a goodwill gesture for my patience as I may cancel the order after all of the delays. The person from Toyota GB said that the salesman could offer two free services depending on how much of a delay there is, so my salesman has made a copy of that offer to hold them to that offer.

OP
OP
f22bub

f22bub

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, I also had lots and lots of plans and wanted to take the car on a trip through Northern Italy/Dolomites but that probably won't work out if the car arrives some time in August. So I feel you, it's really awful! I called my dealer again and saw that there are exactly 2 brand new Jarama Race Track Editions (the blue ones, similar to A91) left on their lot and that I want an offer for one. I assume it will be much more expensive but if its reasonable, I might cancel my order and pick up that one. Also depends on if there are really changes made to the MY2022 model. If not, I ain't waiting. Here the law says that if its postponed more than 6 weeks, they have to deliver and if they can't, you're free to withdraw..

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Not sure about this happening in the US but is it possible that the chip shortage, along with COVID, has contributed to the delays???????

Or, maybe even better, they are trying to figure out the 2021 oil consumption issue?? This may not be a big lift to your frustrations but these could very well be factors.

OP
OP
f22bub

f22bub

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not sure about this happening in the US but is it possible that the chip shortage, along with COVID, has contributed to the delays???????

Or, maybe even better, they are trying to figure out the 2021 oil consumption issue?? This may not be a big lift to your frustrations but these could very well be factors.
It probably has, but then, it's not like the pandemic started yesterday right? They could and should have anticipated and disclosed when ordering that it will likely take 6-7 months and not 3 months as they said

Reactions: max

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
At least you ordered the correct color... ;)

It's pretty amazing (and shocking) that in an age where every large department store can track every move you make via your smartphone, and where drones are soon going to deliver pizza and parcels... a company with $30B in revenue doesn't even "have an app for that".

You should be able to view in real-time where your car is from the moment it leaves assembly. However, it seems that Toyota is less concerned with their inventory controls than Domino's is with their pizzas. :doh:

OP
OP
f22bub

f22bub

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
At least you ordered the correct color... ;)

It's pretty amazing (and shocking) that in an age where every large department store can track every move you make via your smartphone, and where drones are soon going to deliver pizza and parcels... a company with $30B in revenue doesn't even "have an app for that".

You should be able to view in real-time where your car is from the moment it leaves assembly. However, it seems that Toyota is less concerned with their inventory controls than Domino's is with their pizzas. :doh:
It's nowhere near to assembly :( It takes them 8 months from ordering to START assembling the car. That's a lot of time for a car like this lol but who knows what sort of problems we get once the car leaves the assembly line haha!

And yes, I was very happy with the color but the more I am forced to wait the more I overthink if I got the right color, and the right car. I had days regretting that I didn't get an M2 Comp because its taking so long

Enri93

First Name
Enrico
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra SZ-R (Prominence Red)
It probably has, but then, it's not like the pandemic started yesterday right? They could and should have anticipated and disclosed when ordering that it will likely take 6-7 months and not 3 months as they said
A lot of companies have issues with raw materials supply due to COVID so the delays could be caused by companies supplying parts to the Magna Steyr production line.
A lot of customers of the company I work for have issues of raw metal sheet supply for example.
Sponsored