Paint Protection Film or Coating or ?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Has anyone ever got this Paint Protection Film from Toyota?
I believe it's only for front bumper; is it any good? 3M?
I'm on the fence for getting a $395 option only on the bumper that will look bad on the car..

There are numerous ceramic/teflon/etc. coating as well as complete clear 3M films. As I've not done any to my 86, I got few chips, dents, acidic bird poops. etc. and I'd like to avoid that at all costs for my Supra.

I definitely will treat my Supra as my baby and I'm open to ideas on how to protect the paint.
I'm handy and patient, so I can apply whatever myself if labor is too expensive.

Looking for ideas/experiences/brands/etc.

TIA!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Turbro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Strat 3.0 MT, 94 Supra TT 6Spd
Do yourself a favor and get a high end detail or tint shop to do it. Factory paint protection is small and doesnā€™t cover enough IMO. I say that because Iā€™ve never seen any good factory protection, they are pre cut pieces and itā€™s usually only the hood, fenders, and Mirrors. Not the front bumper.

If you go to a reputable shop it will get done right, they wrap it around corners and edges, and have great sizes to cover more. They also will make it look as non existent as possible. The newer self healing paint protection is amazing. I usually pay $800-$1200 depending on how much is needed (full front bumper, hood, fenders, a pillars, mirrors, etc) sometimes more if I add rear quarter panels and such. But so worth it, keeps the car in great shape.

POS VETT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Tacoma SR 4X4 V6, '20 Terrain SLE, '11 370Z Sport, '9 Eclipse GS, 8 Corvette Z06
Personally, I wouldn't get the Toyota PPF kit. The coverage is too small. 3M is not the top choice for PPF, at one time it was one of the worst.

Paint correction and glass coating are different from PPF. Protection against bird dropping is dicey because PPF and glass coating will still be stained.

I suggest having a reputable personnel to handle both PPF and paint correction-glass coating. IMO, it is fundamental to have a flawless paint through a proper paint correction process as any imperfection will be semi-permanently sealed under PPF film or glass coating.

spamthechan

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Prius V, Porsche Boxster
Iā€™ve read a bit on this topic on other forums and settled on this:

If I get a white car, immediate aftermarket ppf and Iā€™ll wax the car myself.
If I get a dark car (black, blue), immediate aftermarket ppf and ceramic coat.

One question: if you cover matte black with a glossy ppf (like on the mirrors, sills and rear diffuser) will it come out gloss black or matte?

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I always get a PPF and tint. I canā€™t remeber what the last film was for sure, but fairly certain it was Xpel. The tint is always 3M Crystalline, all the way around and fairly light.

Honestly, I wouldnā€™t go for it from Toyota. High likelihood that it will have bad fitment and worse protection. Just get a good shop to do it.

Last edited:

Kaizen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
The factory PPF is not good. They start to yellow after a few years in harsh conditions. It's not great quality at all. I just got my RC ceramic coated with Modesta. The Infrared paint is flawless at the moment. I was gunna do the Xpel self healing on the front end but it would have cost me $1,500 extra. I don't do highway driving (so no chips really) and i'll be trading her in anyways. I plan to wrap the hood, front bumper, and roof on the Supra along with a ceramic coating. Hopefully no more than 3 grand.

Kaizen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I actually want to turn all the matte black parts gloss black and was wondering if I should wrap it in gloss black vinyl or if I could just wrap it all in gloss ppf ;)
Nice, what color you looking to get?

E4EVL

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AMG GTS - sold awaiting a replacement
21044144-B683-4CAC-9596-4578A0B26685.jpeg
I had xpel PPF on the bonnet, bumper, front wings, side skirts, A pillars and front edge of the roof of my GTS and itā€™s fantastic, you donā€™t even notice itā€™s on there. You canā€™t compare it to detailing/ceramic coating, theyā€™re completely different products but be warned... it isnā€™t cheap, youā€™re talking a little into four figures for what I had BUT itā€™s also self healing so if you get a scratch you just apply heat/hot water and it fixes itself. Donā€™t get me wrong you couldnā€™t run a blade down it but you know what I mean. You can go to a jet wash and not care less, it comes out mint every time so well worth the outlay for the ease of maintenance (Iā€™m lazy!)

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
21044144-B683-4CAC-9596-4578A0B26685.jpeg
I had xpel PPF on the bonnet, bumper, front wings, side skirts, A pillars and front edge of the roof of my GTS and itā€™s fantastic, you donā€™t even notice itā€™s on there. You canā€™t compare it to detailing/ceramic coating, theyā€™re completely different products but be warned... it isnā€™t cheap, youā€™re talking a little into four figures for what I had BUT itā€™s also self healing so if you get a scratch you just apply heat/hot water and it fixes itself. Donā€™t get me wrong you couldnā€™t run a blade down it but you know what I mean. You can go to a jet wash and not care less, it comes out mint every time so well worth the outlay for the ease of maintenance (Iā€™m lazy!)
My GT4 had it on the hood, bumpers, side skirts, and the rear bumper behind the wheels. Mine was also a decent chunk of change, but it is definitely the best peace of mind for paint protection.

Ppf.nyc

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
maps.app.goo.gl
Car(s)
Acura MDX
Last edited:

Ppf.nyc

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
maps.app.goo.gl
Car(s)
Acura MDX
Here
I actually want to turn all the matte black parts gloss black and was wondering if I should wrap it in gloss black vinyl or if I could just wrap it all in gloss ppf ;)
So glossy ppf turns matte painted surface to glossy, suntek/3m matte ppf got a shiny matte look, & xpel stealth ppf got a true/dull matte look
Sponsored