Paint Protection Film on Supra

TejasJefe

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Rojo GR Supra, 2017 Yukon Denali XL 4x4
Have been turned down by the only two reputable PFP shops here in the area due to the complicated lines of the 2020 Supra. Finally found an independent installer who came highly recommended by a friend who has had this independent installer do several of his high line vehicles that would do the install.

Ordered film from a highly rated online company to cut and send me XPEL film. The company just called and strongly recommended I cancel the order (give them credit for doing so) as even they are not doing installs on Supras.

Has anyone else had this issues?

dc2r

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 BMW M3
precut film, from my limited experience, does not have enough to wrap around the edges of the body parts it covers. you'll be left with a line you can see around the circumference.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
They have some terribly hard areas. They are doing you a favor and are being completely honest.

If you are doing matte, you need to edge wrap and heavily edit templates on what is not bulked to get it looking right. You really need that for gloss as well, but it isnā€™t as obvious.

This is an 8 or 9 difficulty car if you do it right and hide seams. Even if you donā€™t, it still is a difficult car. Know that a template set will have a lot visible seams. IMO front and rear bumpers from unedited and even some edited templates look like shit. Pictures can hide a lot that shows in person. Silver and white will hide seams but white will eventually show heavily once the seams collect dirt.

FYI - I am incredibly detail oriented (picky as shit) and found an installer who is as well. My opinion is probably a little more extreme than most, but nonetheless, this is not a DIY car.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I'll assume the profit margins are low for the complexity of this install of few portions.

I've done the front bumper myself with the pre-cut XPEL. Had to stretch some areas, which is common. Wasn't the easiest, but wasn't too difficult either.
If I had a roll, would have made some things easier as I probably wouldn't have to stretch as much.
Also, I, for sure wouldn't have cut the ppf like that for the lips. Made it way too difficult to meet and align the edges.
Honestly, I'm not 100% satisfied with my install, thus will order a roll and do it myself when weather improves a bit.

Don't mind my horrible sketch (not my car). The way it's cut you have to align the blue and orange lines right where it's most visible to anyone.
upload_2019-12-18_15-41-1.png

FYI, since my purchase, they came up with 2 more front bumper cuts, don't know all the differences.One thing is the whole front portion and the logo area came in 2 pieces, now they made it 1 piece, making the install slightly more difficult, but now you won't have lines if you sucked at aligning them..
upload_2019-12-18_15-43-53.png

I only see the rear bumper to be challenging.

In order to do a bang up job, it's best if you take out a few panels like, for the doors, skirts and front bumper lips.

Hai

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.haihoangtran.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR Premium
I don't know if this will help older posters as this is an old thread but hopefully, this video will help others interested in getting PPF or will be trying to install it themselves. Here's a video that I made showcasing some of the processes.

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Had mine done entirely, couldnā€™t be happier, you couldnā€™t even tell itā€™s wrapped! The guy that installed it been doing this for 20 years and he nailed it, perfect job.

Did told me that lower front bumper and the roof were a good challenge, but also said itā€™s not the worst vehicle he had to wrap, said a Camry TRD is more complicated to wrap than the Supra ā€:dunno:.

Mercedes G Wagon are nightmares to do apparently, toughest challenge in his opinion.

TheDude22386

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Had mine done entirely, couldnā€™t be happier, you couldnā€™t even tell itā€™s wrapped! The guy that installed it been doing this for 20 years and he nailed it, perfect job.

Did told me that lower front bumper and the roof were a good challenge, but also said itā€™s not the worst vehicle he had to wrap, said a Camry TRD is more complicated to wrap than the Supra ā€:dunno:.

Mercedes G Wagon are nightmares to do apparently, toughest challenge in his opinion.
What did they end up doing with the lower black portion of the bumpers? Did they use the same PPF or did they use a Matte PPF like xpel stealth?

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
precut film, from my limited experience, does not have enough to wrap around the edges of the body parts it covers. you'll be left with a line you can see around the circumference.
This is true. I clearbra'ed mine because I install clearbra all the time on my cars (if you do yours, the pre-cuts are very short so use a heat gun to stretch), but the clearbra edges on my black was pretty visible and awful. I took it off after doing one side. My Supra is a garage queen and since I only drive on surface roads and at least 5-6 car lengths behind, I rarely get any chips anyway. I decided to go without on this car and so far zero chip.

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
What did they end up doing with the lower black portion of the bumpers? Did they use the same PPF or did they use a Matte PPF like xpel stealth?
Stealth is for matte finish areas/paint. This the 2 part nos. with one ending in ā€œSā€ couldnā€™t figure it out so called Xpel

AlRayes_BRN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra A90
My Matte Gray Supra is fully wrapped with Xpel Stealth PPF, all is good expect the front bumper which was very hard to install. It still has some corners bloated but not noticeable if you don't look closely

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
Just got mine back today from Xpel PPF install on front bumper and rockers. Looks great. Flawless. Took him 2 days, one of the most difficult car fronts to work on. Another Xpel vendor wouldnā€™t even touch it. Gotta give 5 star props to Chris at Unlimited Auto Style! https://unlimitedautostyle.com/

8DE21E0E-2AA9-4D0A-9810-335E465500D4.jpeg

42DA7517-30B2-4B84-9B82-756BD87CA71C.jpeg