Passenger rear toe arm issue

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So I got an alignment today after my springs settled in at a shop different than the one that installed them. Over time while the springs settled the car developed a slight drift to the right, my front right and left toe were out of spec and aligned properly today.
However when the tech at this shop was working on the car, they brought to attention the following issue which Iā€™m gonna copy and paste because Iā€™m lazy:
ā€œEccentric cam not locked into the control arm bolt. Due to wrong size eccentric cam. Causing rear toe arm not to be adjusted.ā€

I fail to see how this could have occurred after a spring install + alignment unless the installing tech was careless. My initial rear toe (both sides) was ok but they couldnā€™t adjust it properly. Weā€™re looking to replace these components now but Iā€™m honestly just surprised.

I was hoping for some thoughts or advice on the matter from you guys.

7C86E082-F997-48FD-80D4-002E608F7EEE.jpeg
178E4536-B778-486D-847F-A9347AAB4069.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

FuzzyRev85

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Well, according to BMW, these bits ARE NOT reusable, and this illustrates why. If you're going to adjust them, they have to be replaced to ensure that the cam washer will stay locked to the bolt, because torqueing them more than once will goober out the teeth, leading to the inability to retain a set position. They other thing to know, is you MUST torque these to the exact spec, not just Gutentight, FFS.

Last edited:

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
That bolt isn't touched when doing springs, unless the installer just went nuts and started pulling everything remotely related to the suspension?

OP
OP
obito

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@suicidaleggroll My bad, I didnā€™t mention that the same day springs were installed I also had an alignment done. So probably been fucked around with way too much

FuzzyRev85

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
@suicidaleggroll My bad, I didnā€™t mention that the same day springs were installed I also had an alignment done. So probably been fucked around with way too much
Shucks man, you should order enough to replace both sides on the rear. Inspect the front hardware as well.

Msoupe

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0, Civic Hatch, C10 Pickup
Getting some of these suspension bolts from Toyota dealerships can be pricey and have long lead times. I've been going to realOEM.com and finding the Z4 equivalent part #'s for these type of parts.

realOEM.com

Turner Motorsport
Genuine BMW Eccentric Bolt - 33326796196
Genuine BMW Eccentric Flat Washer - 33306786186
Genuine BMW Rear Axle Self-locking Collar Nut 33326760668

If you are careful and adjusting these on slip plates, the eccentric hardware shouldn't get damaged as fast. But yes, technically many of the suspension fasteners are not reusable. (But everyone reuses them anyway ;))

OP
OP
obito

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Getting some of these suspension bolts from Toyota dealerships can be pricey and have long lead times. I've been going to realOEM.com and finding the Z4 equivalent part #'s for these type of parts.

realOEM.com

Turner Motorsport
Genuine BMW Eccentric Bolt - 33326796196
Genuine BMW Eccentric Flat Washer - 33306786186
Genuine BMW Rear Axle Self-locking Collar Nut 33326760668

If you are careful and adjusting these on slip plates, the eccentric hardware shouldn't get damaged as fast. But yes, technically many of the suspension fasteners are not reusable. (But everyone reuses them anyway ;))
Thank you so much! And thanks @FuzzyRev85 Great help. They didnā€™t have issues setting the other bolts but I will still replace both rears

Navarro512Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium Supra
Can I get an update on this? Having the same issue now. After replacing bolts and realignment is your car still drifting to the right?

OP
OP
obito

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can I get an update on this? Having the same issue now. After replacing bolts and realignment is your car still drifting to the right?
No, not really, I do have an occasional drift either way if I let go of the wheel in some areas here, but I chalk it up to the roads and the big 19ā€™ wheels that grab every bump and crevice. Iā€™m pretty much straight now, and my steering wheel itself doesnā€™t drift.

Navarro512Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium Supra
No, not really, I do have an occasional drift either way if I let go of the wheel in some areas here, but I chalk it up to the roads and the big 19ā€™ wheels that grab every bump and crevice. Iā€™m pretty much straight now, and my steering wheel itself doesnā€™t drift.
Thanks man. Gonna go buy the parts tomorrow and see if this helps my situation.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Iā€™ve picked up a drift to the right after having my alignment done about T months or so ago. Going to have to check this I guess also.. awesome what you can stumble upon when youā€™re not really looking for anything in particula.

Delta1Seven

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0
Well, according to BMW, these bits ARE NOT reusable, and this illustrates why. If you're going to adjust them, they have to be replaced to ensure that the cam washer will stay locked to the bolt, because torqueing them more than once will goober out the teeth, leading to the inability to retain a set position. They other thing to know, is you MUST torque these to the exact spec, not just Gutentight, FFS.
What is considered not reusable. Do you mean anytime you get it adjusted/realigned or a complete new install?

I'm about to install coil overs + Rear toe arms + rear camber arms. This has me thinking I may need to figure out what bolts are not reusable so I can have them on hand.

Question: I am going to install the parts myself and then bring it to a shop for an alignment. At what point do I install the new bolts? Do I install the bolts when I install the coils etc, or have the alignment shop install the new bolts during the alignment? (If I install the bolts, then they will technically be used when the alignment shop realigns everything?)

Also, how long should I let my coils settle before getting an alignment?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
What is considered not reusable. Do you mean anytime you get it adjusted/realigned or a complete new install?

I'm about to install coil overs + Rear toe arms + rear camber arms. This has me thinking I may need to figure out what bolts are not reusable so I can have them on hand.

Question: I am going to install the parts myself and then bring it to a shop for an alignment. At what point do I install the new bolts? Do I install the bolts when I install the coils etc, or have the alignment shop install the new bolts during the alignment? (If I install the bolts, then they will technically be used when the alignment shop realigns everything?)

Also, how long should I let my coils settle before getting an alignment?
I reused mine and have done about four alignments. That said, I am replacing them this off-season.

I think they get destroyed by people using impacts on them. I do my own alignments so I don't ham fist crap like some alignment places do.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
DD07FC19-580F-4020-BB60-845EA2DF4B72.jpeg

I can vouch for replacing & checking them šŸ˜‚ Luckily no black flag šŸ“ and all the computer safety stuff was turned off. Happened at end of my weekend at Sebring. Under 30 mph drivable and still able to white flag šŸ³ for the rest of the drivers. Only going to use the same alignment shop for now on. Not BMW total fault. Brought it there for a computer issue they couldnā€™t fix and asked for an alignment before track weekend. Didnā€™t think anything of itā€¦ Whoops šŸ˜¬ šŸ˜… Good post!
Sponsored