Advertisement

Phantom grey paint protection

Discussion in 'Wash, Wax, Detailing, Protection, Cosmetic Repairs' started by James1995lin, Feb 8, 2020.

1. James1995lin

James1995lin Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    Toyota Supra
    Liked:
    So I just recently picked up my Toyota Supra in Phantom grey color. The instruction manual on taking care of the paint work specified to not wrap because it might damage the paint work. So I was wondering anyone with the same paint work how you guys are planning on protecting the paint.

IMG_4692.JPG

Axix23 likes this.
  2. Pat

Pat Active Member

Car(s):
    2020 Toyota Supra
    Liked:
    Drive in good weather only and you can look into gyeon products possibly.

Unfortunately matte paint is really delicate

James1995lin and Axix23 like this.
  3. JasonO

JasonO Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Car(s):
    Supra LE
    Liked:
    Talk with a shop that has handled PPF on BMW frozen colors. The issue with PPF is damage on removal. If they know what they are doing and take their time, it can be done. They just cannot buff it after removal, so cleaning residue from adhesive must be done chemically. If you wrap in matte / satin PPF, you are doing the entire car as the finishes won’t match otherwise.

If I had matte and it wasn’t a daily driver, I would ceramic coat it and make sure I pay attention to follow distances on the interstate. There are no good paint correction options for matte paint.

Good ceramics are made by Kamikaze, cquartz, gyeon. You do not need a matte ceramic IMO. The coating is so thin that it adds no real gloss. I haven’t seen a standard ceramic add any real gloss to a matte finish, my matte PPF wrapped car included.

4. YungMercureal

YungMercureal Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2020 3.0 Premium Supra - Nitro Yellow
    Liked:
    Ceramic coat should be fine because it should follow the uneven paint surface that makes matte paint happen. You'd have to cake on enough layers to "fill in" the waves of the paint, which is why buffing would remove the matte finish. Maybe check online with some reputable car detailing suppliers to see what they recommend for matte paint care. I agree with Jason's suggestion to also check with shops that have done matte PPFs.

Enjoy the car and good luck with the paint care.

James1995lin likes this.
  5. Axix23

Axix23 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Gt30r dc5, k20z1 eg8, and Bagged cd5
    Liked:
    Leave it inside the garage and don’t let anybody around it. Ask people to keep sharp or belts away from the paint of the vehicle. Ask people with rings and jewelry to be careful when opening the door handles to not scratch it. Idk how the Matte owners do it but huge props for having the balls
    to get the color. The color looks amazing tho.

Bryster, James1995lin and John8 like this.
  6. Reppunkamui

Reppunkamui Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Toyota Supra 2020, Toyota Supra 1994, BMW 135i M-Sport,
    Liked:
    Suntek Ultra clear Matte ppf (whole car).

See my post: https://www.supramkv.com/threads/phantom-matte-gray-owners-manifest-yourself.3264/page-2

If I wasn't doing the film, I would use ceramic coating and Dr Beasley's products. Wipe off any tree sap, bug splatters and bird poo once I get the car in the garage.

The main reason I am going with the ppf is because of the issues repairing any paint chip or scratches. Tiny scratches (like swirl lines) are not noticeable, but deeper ones can't be polished/buffed otherwise you get a shiny spot. Chips are a big problem, because of the issues with colour matching and finish at the panel/paint shop, some people say the whole car has to be repainted to get the same finish. I know someone who got a bumper repaired and repainted at a place recommended by their dealer, looked a perfect match for a week, then after that the tone was obviously different in sunlight.

N.b. this is in Australia. I understand conditions here may be different. And the matte is called Nurburg Matte Grey here, it looks the same, but not sure if it is a different tone,

James1995lin likes this.
  7. tedan628

tedan628 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Car(s):
    2015 Sti, 2005 Forester XT
    Liked:
    i would clearbra the car. i spent over 3 grand so far clearbra the hood, front bumper, fender, doors, lower panel, roof , pillar, and rear quarter panel. i asked my local trusted vinly shop to install it panel by panel slowly but it is a worth investment. as far as removing it, it will have to be done professionally

James1995lin likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    James1995lin

James1995lin Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    Toyota Supra
    Liked:
    I'll definitely look into ceramic coating the car, seems promising!! thankss

9. OP
    OP
    James1995lin

James1995lin Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    Toyota Supra
    Liked:
    I asked around local reputable wraps companies around my area and they're quoting me around 5-6k for the wrap job due to the front hood being a 2 man job and the special wrap material to preserve the matte look/paint quality. the price is kinda steep, so I might pass on it and go with just ceramic coating.

10. Reppunkamui

Car(s):
    Liked:
    What they mean is that they do not have the large size PPF so they will have to "stretch" it to fit over the large bonnet (otherwise there will be a seam line). I know Suntek comes in 72" but most of the other brands do not provide it in that size in matte yet. Also, you do not have to wrap the whole car, most people just wrap the front to protect from rock chips etc which is about 20% the cost of a whole car.

James1995lin likes this.
  11. JasonO

JasonO Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Car(s):
    Supra LE
    Liked:
    The material is not cheap and depending on the quality of job, you are looking at some serious hours. The only way I justified it was that I would get a color I couldn’t buy and I put crazy mileage in my vehicles on terrible roads. With a car that is already matte, I’d probably just ceramic coat it and respray any panels if they get chipped enough to bother me as it is cheaper that way.

Ceramics are great, just know that they make maintenance easier and aren’t protection against rock chips and scratches. Anyone telling you they do is lying as the coating is mils thick at best. I’d definitely put one on a matte color for the hydrophobic and chemical resistance alone. Do it once and then you never have to bother with expensive matte waxes every month or two.

James1995lin likes this.
  12. satindragon

satindragon Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    MKV Supra
    Liked:
    I am going with full body matte wrap on my car. They were able to use a single piece of Xpel that was stretched to fit. Xpel doesn't currently make a matte 72" wide roll so you'll need to find a skilled installer that can make a 60" roll work.

As others have pointed out, you can't really repair satin/matte finishes without repainting (which would be cost prohibitive). Most places will offer a package that will cover most of the high impact areas. Ceramic alone won't do much to prevent paint chips. It's simply not thick enough to provide protection.

My car is being done this week so I"ll post the completed pictures I get it back. I went with Xpel Stealth for the PPF and doing Xpel Fusion on top of it.
    SeZz5Kx.jpg

YieLL9Q.jpg
    B5GOiPk.jpg
    J1faxWx.jpg

James1995lin likes this.
  13. Reppunkamui

Car(s):
    Liked:
    I am interested to see how it looks to see how matte Xpel looks compared to Suntek on the factory paint. At least another week for mine to be done though. Good luck with the stretch, I heard that if they do it right and are able to control it, and stretch just the flat centre section, it should look good.

James1995lin likes this.
  14. satindragon

satindragon Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    MKV Supra
    Liked:
    The shop is confident that it’ll come out good so I guess we’ll see. Just want to be able to drive the car with less concern for rick chips.

It’ll also be much easier to keep clean since I won’t have to be as careful as far cleaning products used.

15. phm14

phm14 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Peter
    Car(s):
    '18 Lexus LC500, '18 Tundra 4x4, '15 4Runner Trail
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    How did it come out? Cost?