Camus

First Name
Daniel.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra , 2021 M4 Base.
Hi all,

I've been lurking the forum for a while, just tuned my MKV yesterday with the Bootmod3 OTS 91 Oct map and I am very happy with the results. Just wondering if they are more matte gray owners out there. Here in the Sacramento Area I have seen only one yellow and one blue.

The dealer told me it was the only one here in Northern California, and allegedly there is one in the South California as well. They tried to sell me the car saying it was "limited edition color" (it's not launch edition), which is BS, this color could ordered for $1200 USD I think.. So I would like to know how many really there are.

Attached pic.

20191215_165757.jpg
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
:love: so damn sexy. Nice Congrats!
Yes, phantom matte gray colors are indeed limited.
For example it's limited to 24 units in Japan. Though not sure if it was 2019 specific or if it continues on for all MY20.. don't remember the US numbers...

OP
OP
Camus

Camus

First Name
Daniel.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra , 2021 M4 Base.
:love: so damn sexy. Nice Congrats!
Yes, phantom matte gray colors are indeed limited.
For example it's limited to 24 units in Japan. Though not sure if it was 2019 specific or if it continues on for all MY20.. don't remember the US numbers...
Thank you! I see, let's see how many owners report to the call :popcorn:, I would imagine more people ordering the cars eventually, only if the Dealers plan to sell the car at all, without markups.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
The paint is a bitch to care for, so I donā€™t think Toyota is itching to crank these out. There wonā€™t be many made overall.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Pretty sure Toyota Canada out right cut this color for Canada. Didnt want to deal with warranty claims and inconveniences when half the year majority of the country is covered in snow and salt which would be a pain to deal with for one matte color.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I wonder if any of the aftermarket coatings can help make this kind of paint more resilient?

YungMercureal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium Supra - Nitro Yellow
I don't know of anything that could boost the paint resilience itself, but I'd say most people will go for a full PPF wrap and potentially a ceramic coat. Mainly the PPF is what you want though because repairing matte paint is extremely difficult.

Also congrats to the owners, I was wondering when we'd start to see Phantom in the states.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
I wonder if any of the aftermarket coatings can help make this kind of paint more resilient?
A ceramic coating or ceramic coating system is the first thing Iā€™d do with matte paint. People need to note that prep for matte is different than for gloss paints as you cannot correct matte paint as it canā€™t be polished. They make matte waxes, but ceramics will out for perform.

Normal wax can ruin the finish and it has to be stripped off to get the finish back. Any bird droppings need to be cleaned off in short order. Ceramic coatings provide chemical resistance along with hydrophobic properties which is why they are typically highly recommended for matte finishes. Typical lifespan is two years to five years. Some longer, some shorter.

PPF is a double edged sword on matte paint. Satin and matte films are available, but you have to do a full wrap as they wonā€™t match in texture. The other issue is some who have matte paint donā€™t like the luster change as the films are made to go over gloss.

Matte paint cannot be touched up effectively. Any rock chips, scratches, bird dropping etched, etc the owner will have to live with or deal with what may be a highly subpar touch up compared to gloss paints. Typically to correct a panel with damage, it has to be resprayed.

I sincerely hope dealers are going over this with purchasers as typically BMW / Mercedes makes one jump through minor to major hoops for matte finish depending on the dealer.

Edit: I wrote this at first thinking you had a matte and not a clue as to what you bought. I was genuinely feeling for you as a DD with matte paint would be a nightmare for me.

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
^ when you drive that back to back with a modified LC, life is more or less complete.

Nc1dent

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Jesus an LFA.... i have yet to even be blessed by its presents.
The LFA is crazy to drive. Transmission isnā€™t great, but the engine is absolutely amazing. The interior is so different but so well built and solid.