Price Agreed, Deposit Being Paid... Help

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys. I hope this is the right thread.

As the title states I have an agreed on OTD price and am just waiting for the dealership to send over the paperwork electronically to pay a deposit.

The problem is now the dealer is a good distance away and they say they likely wont hold the car for the week until I can drive to see them next weekend (June 27) and want me to come sooner to get the car. If I have a deposit down and it is within a week, can they just refund my deposit and take a better offer? I would have to take PTO extremely short notice and would prefer not to.

Has anyone had their car shipped to them and taken delivery without ever going to the dealership?

Any advice is helpful.
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Hey guys. I hope this is the right thread.

As the title states I have an agreed on OTD price and am just waiting for the dealership to send over the paperwork electronically to pay a deposit.

The problem is now the dealer is a good distance away and they say they likely wont hold the car for the week until I can drive to see them next weekend (June 27) and want me to come sooner to get the car. If I have a deposit down and it is within a week, can they just refund my deposit and take a better offer? I would have to take PTO extremely short notice and would prefer not to.

Has anyone had their car shipped to them and taken delivery without ever going to the dealership?

Any advice is helpful.
First off, they're a bunch of C#%$s if they do that, and second, I would tell them to piss off and go somewhere else out of principle.

OP
OP
Suggs.OR

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have never paid a deposit on a car before, its always been day of purchase for me for a car on a lot that I am at. I assume there would need to be some sort of paperwork that we need to sign saying its a deposit... then I dont understand why they cant same day ship the paperwork to me, then me sign, and then send it back. They get the payment from my bank and I go get the car a couple days later on the weekend.

Sorry guys... this is my first expensive car purchase and im so excited yet now the fear of not knowing how this process of out of state buying is making me regret my decision.

thrilliam

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW m240i
Is the deposit just to hold the car and lock in your price or are you doing the purchase electronically?

Also.. how much did you end up finding the car for if you don't mind my asking? I know you had a good deal in another thread but it turned out to be a base model.

OP
OP
Suggs.OR

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am putting down the deposit to hold the car until we can get all the paperwork signed. I am pushing to have it all done electronically so I can spend as little time at the dealership as possible and avoid having to take days off from work with 1 day notice. I would pick up the car next saturday (June 27) so the car would only be on their lot for an extra 3 days. The dealership says I have to come in but then they told me they have sold cars to people in down in Mississippi and other states that are over 1500 miles away and I have to imagine the people from mississippi didnt go into the dealership. Im making it as part of the condition when I finalize the down payment tomorrow morning. The dealer is just being super lazy from talking with family members who have bought cars from out of state.

To find the car I actually talked with one dealer that I was inquiring about for a car they had listed, it was sold unfortunately this morning. I contacted them this early afternoon. The internet manager said he was having a slow day and loved the Supra so brought up all the cars with my spec I wanted and I just started calling them. Most dealers wouldnt budge on MSRP with the $3500 rebate and kept telling me how special and rare their car is.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wait a few weeks. The 2021 are literally about to hit dealer lots. Leftovers will be discounted left and right. Just wait a little and you'll get a better deal, or a 2021 lol.

OP
OP
Suggs.OR

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well I am going to attribute it to the fact that I saw the number I wanted and lost all logic, sleeping on it definitely brought the logic back and told them I am going to have to pass based on how they want the purchase to be done. Looks like i am just saving for another 2 months until 2021s come out.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Wait a few weeks. The 2021 are literally about to hit dealer lots. Leftovers will be discounted left and right. Just wait a little and you'll get a better deal, or a 2021 lol.
surprisingly, there are still 2020 coming in from the boat in my area. The colors of the 2020 are getting more limited. Only white and black is available in my area. No more base models. And numbers are getting limited. One point it was 25 and it’s done to 7 now with a black prem coming in in July. Thats maybe a 2021 coming in? I am going by the toyota website and you punch in regional inventory and pops up every available or soon to be available(with an arrival date) Supra in your area.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I had 3 deposits on 3 dealers knowing launch edition on 2 were taken already. (Hoped for a second or at least premium) anyhow went with 3rd one. Both refunded.

Also f them and last i checked these cars were not super high on demand.
If you give them deposit and they sell it to somebody else, there are dealers that'll ship free to you.

And yeah my21, but were you not getting a huge discount on my20?

Kato

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2020 GR Supra Phantom
I can't believe the business model of automobile purchasing hasn't changed in te information age. Worst yet, they continue to act like a bunch of bullies and treat their customers with no respect. When you feel pushed and your guts tell you why do I have to do this, like the OP was doing, this means pull the hell out and wait for another day to purchase from another dealer. Truth be told, I too was in those predicaments almost every time I needed to buy a car. But I had enough sense in me to say "F it. I'm about to spend some major amount here and it should be my terms, not theirs".

Stand your ground and demand that you be treated with respect. Your money is still yours and they can sell it to the next gullible person, if that's how they operate.

OP
OP
Suggs.OR

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can't believe the business model of automobile purchasing hasn't changed in te information age. Worst yet, they continue to act like a bunch of bullies and treat their customers with no respect. When you feel pushed and your guts tell you why do I have to do this, like the OP was doing, this means pull the hell out and wait for another day to purchase from another dealer. Truth be told, I too was in those predicaments almost every time I needed to buy a car. But I had enough sense in me to say "F it. I'm about to spend some major amount here and it should be my terms, not theirs".

Stand your ground and demand that you be treated with respect. Your money is still yours and they can sell it to the next gullible person, if that's how they operate.
Yea. I am glad I slept on it on the idea. I feel silly for posting this thread last night after having a full 180 degree turn of making sure I dont feel pressured into this.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Dealers absolutely do this. My buddy got his GT3 RS because the dealer was willing to sell it out from under the guy who put a deposit but was giving them the run around about executing the deal.

MYNEWFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Turbulence Gray Supra Premium
Yes, it is very tiresome to have to go to buy a vehicle nowadays.
But you did right, and like others have said. If they cannot respect you as a legitimate buyer that's coming to them to help them by purchasing a vehicle, then walk on to the next deal.
In my experience, the dealers are worrying about the numbers "for that day," or what they can put up on the sales board as sold "that day".

And they will try every tactic that they think will work, "as if we're all stupid" To try to get you or your money in front of them, that day.
Remain firm though, sooner or later you will get the deal that makes you feel good.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dealers absolutely do this. My buddy got his GT3 RS because the dealer was willing to sell it out from under the guy who put a deposit but was giving them the run around about executing the deal.
If the buyer is being flaky then that's different. OP seems ready to buy so that should be respected by the dealer. If OP says "I'll be there saturday" then hold the damn car. If he ain't there, Monday after all bets are off. Nobody should be rushed or pushed into spending $60k by some weasel. I'd go elsewhere.
Sponsored