Production Toyota Supra will be revealed in the first half of 2019 at Detroit!

Which Auto Show do you think we will see the production at?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

soundman414

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
There is no way the Supra is going to have a significantly lower center of gravity. Just considering that this will be an i6, and if based on the B58, like suspected, will have a stroke that is 8mm longer than the FA20, and pointed in a direction opposite of gravity.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
As much as I would love for this to be the case, TG magazine is just guessing.

Which means, and Tada confirms this, the Supra won’t use the Lexus V8. A BMW six then? “Few car companies have straight-six engines,” he replies. “Toyota did but it doesn’t any longer.” Toyota’s European R&D head Gerald Killmans later confirms that it’s a recalibrated version of the BMW engine. We suspect the M3’s twin-turbo. That means 450bhp ballpark.

Again that would be great news but that's just their suspicion. If this car ends up being a discounted lightweight BMW M4, that would be fantastic. Sort of like a Z3 M coupe, Z4M, with more toyota flair. If it came with a good transmission I think I'd have to put my money down immediately.

And yeah, wow, January 2019 NAIAS??? I completely missed that bit. Jesus. Again, I'm hoping this is just Top Gear's guess and not a fact.
X2, I would say the same goes for the unveiling BS date. Tada san was never quoted saying "January 2019". Freaking fake news! :lol:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
X2, I would say the same goes for the unveiling BS date. Tada san was never quoted saying "January 2019". Freaking fake news! :lol:
not from Tada but it has been already mentioned here
https://www.motormag.com.au/news/1803/geneva-motor-show-next-toyota-supra-revealed
Motormag said:
Indirect Quote from Toyota Australia’s vice president of sales and marketing Sean Hanley:
Toyota says this reveal is “similar” to that of the Toyota CH-R, which arrived on roads almost a year after its race-equivalent’s Geneva reveal.
...and based on many things we've seen & read like the paper on the dash of the Z4 mule it seems 2019 is a lock. Come on, Toyota has done this with the LFA & 86, concepts galore until the final launch..

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I like the poll.

I voted Pebble. The timing seems right, late August. They brought FT1 there after the 2014 unveil in Detroit. BMW brings most of its concepts too.

The concept lawn gets worldwide press. Every car guy is there, all of the journalists and a lot of the youtube stars. All of the big sports and luxury brands have a presence. The whole event oozes class, as does most of car week.

But TBH that's just a little wishful thinking. I could easily see it being Detroit in 2019 though, or even worse TMS. Toyota is in no rush at all. They do not seem embarrassed by this at all.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
A70 or others in the know...is there a time period or estimate after a production car launch to build/showrooms?...in other words if we assume we see it at NY 3/18, would it be reasonable for 1yr later 3/19 to be arriving in some showrooms? How long did the F86 or other models take.... Thanks....

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
A70 or others in the know...is there a time period or estimate after a production car launch to build/showrooms?...in other words if we assume we see it at NY 3/18, would it be reasonable for 1yr later 3/19 to be arriving in some showrooms? How long did the F86 or other models take.... Thanks....
Production GT86 was revealed 2011 Tokyo Auto show, the very first 86 orders of the FRS was fulfilled early by Spring 2012. And this was after several concepts ofc.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
2011 Tokyo Auto Show was in December, 2011, production started in March, 2012 and the first vehicles hit dealerships in May, 2012 I believe. So it was about 4-5 months from showing the car to the first ones landing at dealers. I remember driving a pre-production car in March or April I believe.

Jeff

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Thanks Jeff, good memory...so if it launches at NY we should have pretty good estimate of when it will be in showrooms...

Bakerr6

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
11 CRV, 12 FRS, 16 Pilot
2011 Tokyo Auto Show was in December, 2011, production started in March, 2012 and the first vehicles hit dealerships in May, 2012 I believe. So it was about 4-5 months from showing the car to the first ones landing at dealers. I remember driving a pre-production car in March or April I believe.

Jeff
I took delivery of my frs in may 2012, for reference. I'll have to pull up the title to find it.

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
4 years from concept to concept. Another year (possibly) for a production reveal with no pricing and/or power specs with it arriving at dealers for another several months....just in time for the end of warm weather. Add on another few several months of dealers marking it up to the moon and it won't be in the average Joe's garage for awhile....sheesh.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
well, an early 2019 reveal with sales beginning in late summer does make sense for a 2020MY, as unfortunate as it is as far as waiting.

I understood there to be a reveal of the production concept (vs race) before that, but maybe that is no longer the case, or maybe that will still happen with the actual production car being shown early next year.

this is all marketing stuff now so I have little insight into that whatsoever.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.