Pros / Cons between the part-time 4WD and full-time AWD

Positronic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prior 1st gen 4Runner Turbo
Good morning all,

Does anyone have opinion or experience around the part-time 4WD and full-time AWD systems being offered on the new 6th Gen? I'm assuming these have implementations in other Toyota truck or SUV lines and i'm curious as to if this boils down to a preference thing or a drivetrain longevity thing? I have owned a few Chevy/GMC trucks with standard part-time 4WD as well as my 1st Gen 4Runner complete with hublocks so the concept of not making sharp turns and driving in 4WD on dry pavement is not lost on me. But, as my intro thread details, i've been a Subaru STi guy for the better part of the last 2 decades so i'm used to the full-time AWD feel particularly out here in the snow of Colorado so i'm thinking i may lean toward the full-time 4WD. Thanks ahead for any info/opinion/experience anyones had between the two!

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Outback owner here, I do love my AWD. My hubby owns a 1794 Tundra and mainly keeps it in 2WD. We live in E WA where the snow and ice exist for sure. We also travel over the cascade passes, all three of them, which can be treacherous, mostly because I swear people don't know how to drive in snow out here......

He throws his truck into 4WD on an as needed basis and does amazingly well. He tells me he loves my Outback, majority due to the low profile and stability.
I feel as if I need more maintenance than him, including my tires.
Maybe I'm old school, but my plan is to get 4WD on demand, vs all the time if I have a choice that is!

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
It was very disappointing when the 4R lost the multi-mode case (aside from the Limited) going into the 5th gen. I find it absolutely bewildering that the US specific trucks are denied a full-time o even auto 4wd t-case. Even the cheapskate (Custom) Silverado I currently have offers Auto-4wd.
Drawbacks? Fuel economy, perhaps, but it really isn't much. Wear is mute, since the CV axles are spinning with either system.

OP
OP
Positronic

Positronic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prior 1st gen 4Runner Turbo
Outback owner here, I do love my AWD. My hubby owns a 1794 Tundra and mainly keeps it in 2WD. We live in E WA where the snow and ice exist for sure. We also travel over the cascade passes, all three of them, which can be treacherous, mostly because I swear people don't know how to drive in snow out here......

He throws his truck into 4WD on an as needed basis and does amazingly well. He tells me he loves my Outback, majority due to the low profile and stability.
I feel as if I need more maintenance than him, including my tires.
Maybe I'm old school, but my plan is to get 4WD on demand, vs all the time if I have a choice that is!
Small world, my wife also is an Outback owner (and wants a new wilderness or ascent, but dads 4runner happens first!) and we were just discussing this the other day as i also enjoy driving her Outback around as its stable and handles great in the snow, even the deep stuff we've had this winter 2-3FT+. I'd say the biggest benefit i've seen from full-time AWD systems out here is when we go up to ski country where we have to cruise down I-25 on a large downhill grade that has alot of curves, its just so easy to gear down and never have to touch the brakes while still having the AWD engaged for the snowy/icy curves as needed. I'd also assume that with the newer 4WD on-demand system the turning constraints are probably alot less than the effort needed with my 1st gen 4runner, and i even had hydro assist.

Last edited: