Purchase 2020 over 2021?

jrof

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0 Premium MT
Hey all, I have been observing this forum for a while and wanted to get some opinions on what I should do regarding my new Supra purchase.

I have been keeping up with the tuning/oil consumption issues the A91s have been going through and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight (as of yet). I have been looking at dealers all over the country and am curious on your thoughts with regards to purchasing a leftover A90 instead of an A91? I am looking to build the car to a certain extent so not having tuning capabilities has been a real dealbreaker. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Hey all, I have been observing this forum for a while and wanted to get some opinions on what I should do regarding my new Supra purchase.

I have been keeping up with the tuning/oil consumption issues the A91s have been going through and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight (as of yet). I have been looking at dealers all over the country and am curious on your thoughts with regards to purchasing a leftover A90 instead of an A91? I am looking to build the car to a certain extent so not having tuning capabilities has been a real dealbreaker. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
The oil issues are grossly exaggerated on the 21's but regardless, they are untunable as of yet, so you'd want a 2020, or a 2021 with an ECU before June 2020. If you're set on an A91 edition, that most likely would be a used one, as the few new ones left are idiot dealers with markups. So the safest bet would be a 2020.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Get a 2020, aside from the oil and tuning issues, the upgrades for 2021 are so minor they’re nearly imperceptible. Had my 2020 for a year and a half and it’s been rock solid. Plus you can save some money that can go into tuning!

Kris9884

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I was in the same boat, figured if I was gonna pick up an MKV, might as well grab the 2021 for nearly the same price as last years but, I've now changed my mind and am solely after an unlockable 2020. Preferably a Launch Edition too, might as well hold a bit more value over the next couple years.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I was in the same boat, figured if I was gonna pick up an MKV, might as well grab the 2021 for nearly the same price as last years but, I've now changed my mind and am solely after an unlockable 2020. Preferably a Launch Edition too, might as well hold a bit more value over the next couple years.
Someone posted a new one with like 17 miles on it on one of the Facebook pages the other day.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
If you plan to do a lot of mods, then I'd seek out a 2020 or early 2021. The 2020 would have to be used, but you can find early 2021s on dealer lots still that have unlockable ECUs (look for build dates on the door jam before 6/20).

If you're only planning on intake and exhaust, then any model would be fine since you can get by with a JB4 even if they never unlock the ECU. I wouldn't worry about the oil consumption issues, everything I've seen shows it's mostly a combination of bad break-ins and factory oil that has the viscosity of rubbing alcohol. There have been a couple individuals with legitimate issues, but they seem to be the minority.

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I bought a 2020 even though the 2021's are out mainly because the differences are imperceivable and the deals are better on a 2020 and it's tunable and the actual dyno results show that its way more powerful than 340hp (maybe not as much as 382 but I saw dynos up to 370hp) and you can get the brake caliper stickers for 10$ and the braces in the hood for 15$ from BMW and that's it. They are basically the same. Only thing you cant get is more hp and the suspension changes but from what I have heard they hardly make a difference.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Get a 2020. I dont think you’ll see the new ECU cracked for a couple of years.
Sponsored