Suprasaiyansg

First Name
Sun Guang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Hi Everyone,

I know this may sound a bit counter-intuitive but I'm considering to use a thicker tyre for my Supra and because I'm no expert in this matter, I was wondering if any kind soul could give me their opinion on this.

The stock PSS tyres are 255/35 (Front) 275/35 (Rear). I wanted to switch to 255/45 (Front) and 275/45 (Rear) to slightly increase my ground clearance.

My reasons for doing is because the usual roads that I drive is a pain in the ass and I've been scrapping the front bumper too frequent and it is getting slightly annoying (trust me I go real slow like 5kmph LOL, some of the slopes are just too steep).

I want to know any possible complications that may affect the stock setup. I understand that the handling will be slightly affected but I'm alright with that since its more of a daily cruiser for me, I will not track this setup anyways.

Thanks for your time! Appreciate any helpful comments.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
All the safety systems will be calibrated for the stock wheel + tyre size, with a little error.

Changing the profile that much will most likely upset the ECU and potentially throw error codes.

Probably worth looking up if anyone has done similar in a BMW and what their results were.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
You can do that, but throw on a set of 18 inch wheels. If you have 255/35/19 up front, you can go to a 255/40/18 and have thicker tires while keeping the circumference identical.

OP
OP

Suprasaiyansg

First Name
Sun Guang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
You can do that, but throw on a set of 18 inch wheels. If you have 255/35/19 up front, you can go to a 255/40/18 and have thicker tires while keeping the circumference identical.
Hi Danny, my goal here is to increase the ground clearance of the car by raising the height of the wheels.

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
What shock setting are you running with over these bumps? Comfort or Sport? If comfort, I would recommend trying Sport and also try hitting the bumps at angles to help reduce the scrape factor.

OP
OP

Suprasaiyansg

First Name
Sun Guang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
What shock setting are you running with over these bumps? Comfort or Sport? If comfort, I would recommend trying Sport and also try hitting the bumps at angles to help reduce the scrape factor.
Thanks for your advice, I will certainly try it out.

Its actually not the bumps but the steepness of certain slopes, its insane.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
Thanks for your advice, I will certainly try it out.

Its actually not the bumps but the steepness of certain slopes, its insane.
In my experience, I am scraping the two air dams underneath the car, not the front bottom itself as it still feels smooth to the touch on the bottom. Are you scraping the front trim or the two pieces hanging down a bit behind the front?

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Good point. My driveway is really steep and I scrape going in/out everyday but its only the air dams underneath. Those are flexible to a degree and designed for stuff like that. However, it does sound really bad when you hear it. My neighbor was in the yard one day when I was pulling in and heard it and came over to see if my car was ok.
Sponsored