Rear end wiggle?

xMkV

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Just wondering if any of you guys have done any auto x or even taken corners quickly and found that the rear end kind of wiggles around? The more I push it, the more it feels like its almost floating around. Not tire slippage. It's a little off putting to say the least. Also, the steering feels kind of notchy. Anybody else feeling the same thing?
Sponsored

Webweasel

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GT4 ST205, A90 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering if any of you guys have done any auto x or even taken corners quickly and found that the rear end kind of wiggles around? The more I push it, the more it feels like its almost floating around. Not tire slippage. It's a little off putting to say the least. Also, the steering feels kind of notchy. Anybody else feeling the same thing?
They are RWD cars, so this should be expected. If you come off the power in a bend, you will feel this for sure from every RWD car from a MX5 to a Kia Stinger. (All cars I have driven recently with RWD) In fact with both the Stinger and the Supra, floor it in a straight line and suddenly lift off and the back end will wriggle. The car is basically telling you to drive smoother. Lift off gently, not suddenly.

Having no idea of your driving experience here, I don't want to try and teach you to suck eggs, however if you have never driven a RWD platform before, I'd really recommend reading up on how these cars handle. You really need to learn about lift off oversteer and snap oversteer that can come with it. That or buy and MX5 and chuck it around a bit until you get a feel for RWD.

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 1998 E36 M3 LS3 Twin Turbo
I know what you're talking about and it's not oversteer, it's the rear diff making changes. It's a BMW electronic diff thing for sure. The new Supra is constantly making changes to the rear diff and feels like the rear is steering itself intermittently. It's not spinning but feels like it's changing directions slightly. Some people may not even notice it. As you said, under hard acceleration it is most noticeable. I notice it a good bit on hard launch 0-100 runs.

OP
OP

xMkV

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Should have expected a reply like the first one on a forum....Its not oversteer, I know how rear wheel drive cars work. Like i stated in the original post, the tires aren't slipping. The rear end has an obvious floating feeling. For instance, if Im taking a hard left corner, the rear end feels like its wiggling or floating back and fourth around the corner. And its not when I come off the power, its when I'm pushing it.

My last two cars were an M2 Comp and before that an M240i with the same B58 engine. Neither of them did this.

Webweasel

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GT4 ST205, A90 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
Should have expected a reply like the first one on a forum....Its not oversteer, I know how rear wheel drive cars work. Like i stated in the original post, the tires aren't slipping. The rear end has an obvious floating feeling. For instance, if Im taking a hard left corner, the rear end feels like its wiggling or floating back and fourth around the corner. And its not when I come off the power, its when I'm pushing it.

My last two cars were an M2 Comp and before that an M240i with the same B58 engine. Neither of them did this.

Well you COULD have said you know what oversteer is, that you have experience with RWD cars.

It's a world of difference for someone buying their first RWD car, compared to someone with experience like yourself. You really have to give context to post's otherwise you will get "a reply like the first one on a forum".

I don't mean to be insulting in either post, just trying to be helpful. Context is everything.

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 1998 E36 M3 LS3 Twin Turbo

Haha. Yes there will always be comments like that from a forum. I too owned a 2015 M2 and a M235i and they did not do it like the Supra does. I do know other BMW platforms do the same thing though and have heard similar complaints.

Older models (E36/E46) do this because of rear trailing arm bushings that are flexing or failing but nothing to do with the diff. My E36 before it went under the knife would steer left under hard acceleration making it a handful to drive.

Try full throttle runs without any assists on and turn traction control off and do a hard pull from 2nd gear to 100. Mine will lightly move about randomly and not because of oversteer.

OP
OP

xMkV

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. Its funny you mention those two cars...Ive also had an E36 328is and an E46 M3 and never felt on those how this feels. Also have had Z3, Z4, E39 M5, E90 335i, F36 440i GC. I know Im forgetting a few but as you can see, very well versed in BMW stuff. May have to throw it on a lift and take a look underneath too.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
If you are calibrated to an M2C, the Supra will feel a little softer and it absolutely does have more body roll. It's also got a lot more slack in the drivetrain than the M2C, which is wound tight. I haven't pushed a Supra hard enough to notice what you are describing, but I sure did notice it didn't have quite the "corner on rails" feel of the M2C (which has pros and cons).

I believe the Supra's rear diff is the same as the $1300 "M Sport Differential" you can get on some M40i models. It's not the same as the M diff on the F8x M3/M4, or F87 M2C. From what I have read on the BMW forums, the M Sport Differential is very sensitive to tires. Double check the tires are mounted right and pressure is even, etc...

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW & Toyota
The Supra’s diff is actually identical to the M2C-M3/4 electronic diff.
It’s not the same as say the optional mechanical M performance diff on a M140.

This is probably what the TS experienced.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
The Supra’s diff is actually identical to the M2C-M3/4 electronic diff.
It’s not the same as say the optional mechanical M performance diff on a M140.

This is probably what the TS experienced.
So with likely more than a bit of cognitive bias (from driving mostly German cars on German roads)... the end result is:
Literally the only aspect of the Supra which Toyota was responsible for... is completely unworkable to the point of being dangerous, and needs replacement. :rofl:

Honestly, I'd write that off if it didn't completely agree with my opinion of Toyota's "engineering" as experienced in the past few years with my Lexus models - although the RC-F was horrible (IMO of course) for different reasons, the suspension was one of the most irritating aspects of it.

I'd love to see what Tada-san would say in response to the video. :p

Take_my_money

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkV, Taco TRD-OR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone with setup experience, ideally a lot of experience please comment.

How much toe in would you recommend for the rear ballpark on a GR Supra that is lowered but not tucking the rear stock tires? When loading the front (under braking scenario) going neutral toe (or worst toe out) in the rear seems to be the the issue right? I don't want to go too aggressive for toe-in for the rear to compensate for rear lift bump steer toe angle change, but it seem this could be a bandied fix for the time being.

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
Mine felt "Squirrely" in the rear, under extreme acceleration, always has even before the H&R springs

Chucked it on the alignment machine, loaded the rear suspension up & down & got very little toe change

I reduced chamber in the rear & toe in front & rear to see if it would make a difference & it did :)

Mark-in-Stoke

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT86 Supra v
Ever had the cars geometry set up checked? my 86 was the same until I took it to a guy who sets them up for a living and works on a racing team, problem gone. I have read these car rear wheels are set at straight from new, when they could always do with a ting amount of scub/toe in

Take_my_money

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkV, Taco TRD-OR
Vehicle Showcase
Over the weekend I went to a shop specializing in alignments, literally the word alignment is in their name, Acme Alignment in Tulsa, OK. The car is lowered using Eibach springs, always tracked straight before and after lowering the car, but felt odd in the rear. Well, everything feels good now, the camber was significantly different from one side to the other in the rear as well as the toe. Now I'm setting at 1/8" toe front and rear, 2.0 degrees negative camber front, 1.5 degrees negative rear camber. We played around with 1/4" toe in rear and it didn't feel stable. The car is seems rock solid now, I'm very pleased with the range of adjustability in the rear.

That being said, I purchased the Racer X Fabrication rear toe links, see my post in the "what did you do to your Supra today" section of the forum, and I ended up not using them. I will be returning them this week if nobody wants the rear toe links at a discount. They are new never taken out of the box, and what I consider to be the best on the market for build quality. Message me for pictures if you cant find my previous post.

Mark-in-Stoke

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT86 Supra v
Over the weekend I went to a shop specializing in alignments, literally the word alignment is in their name, Acme Alignment in Tulsa, OK. The car is lowered using Eibach springs, always tracked straight before and after lowering the car, but felt odd in the rear. Well, everything feels good now, the camber was significantly different from one side to the other in the rear as well as the toe. Now I'm setting at 1/8" toe front and rear, 2.0 degrees negative camber front, 1.5 degrees negative rear camber. We played around with 1/4" toe in rear and it didn't feel stable. The car is seems rock solid now, I'm very pleased with the range of adjustability in the rear.

That being said, I purchased the Racer X Fabrication rear toe links, see my post in the "what did you do to your Supra today" section of the forum, and I ended up not using them. I will be returning them this week if nobody wants the rear toe links at a discount. They are new never taken out of the box, and what I consider to be the best on the market for build quality. Message me for pictures if you cant find my previous post.
Hi bud, noticed you're using the Eibach's, what is your opinion on them re ride and comfort compared to OEM?
Sponsored