rear speakers resonating badly on bass

michaeljay

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
supra 2020
new supra premium (upgrade sound system) , < 300 miles and I love this car, however rear speakers resonate badly on bass. not even at high volume. sounds very cheap.
Ive seen some references to this occurrence. I was wondering if others are seeing this. sound should be excellent in this vehicle.
Ive never had this in other higher priced sports cars (porsche bmw...)
suggestions? dealer issue?
thank you
Sponsored

RRF985

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 BMW M550i, 2020 Supra Premium, 2015 991.1
If it’s with Sport mode on, it’s the fake engine noise. Turning that off makes the sound system tons better. Also, try adjusting the equalizer until you find something you like. The system needs a lot of tuning to make it sound decent.

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
The Active Sound Design really kills the sound system. I was actually amazed at the improvement when I turned it off. That said, the subwoofers are pretty lousy. BAV Sound has a drop-in speaker replacement (including subs) coming soon. Until then, what @RRF985 said will provide huge improvements.

OP
OP
michaeljay

michaeljay

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
supra 2020
thanks for all this some nice ideas on dampening and isolation. the resonating is normal mode not sport. Also adjusting with the equalizer wouldn't that essentially suppress the lower frequency range/ yielding lower fidelity ?/ some of the tracks give amazing sound but when it gets into low frequency the speakers just sound awful.
thank you all.....amazing driving experience none the less
:)

Kgsweb

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Downshift Blue
thanks for all this some nice ideas on dampening and isolation. the resonating is normal mode not sport. Also adjusting with the equalizer wouldn't that essentially suppress the lower frequency range/ yielding lower fidelity ?/ some of the tracks give amazing sound but when it gets into low frequency the speakers just sound awful.
thank you all.....amazing driving experience none the less
:)
It’s the fake exhaust noise/active sound while in Sport mode mucking everything up. Turn that off first and things will be much better. Try the car in Normal mode and you’ll get an idea of the difference in bass response. Keep in mind though, while this stereo can sound fairly good, it pales in comparison to a custom install with a high end equipment, dedicated sub amps, etc.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
@Kgsweb He is in normal mode... but yes, it does get worse in sport mode until you code out the active sound "enhancement".

@michaeljay The big problem with the "subs" (really mid-woofers since they're handling almost everything below ~600Hz it seems) is that they're open, so in addition to the creaks and rattles that are seemingly everywhere in this car... a strong bass hit will resonate up, down the front behind the seats, and across the 'deck' toward the back. I found the biggest improvement was pulling out a couple notches in the EQ at the 100Hz band. You can even boost up the bass a bit if you do that. Otherwise, it's a decently neutral system as var as FR is concerned... the driver implementation is crap however.

More information here.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
here are pics of the OE woofer enclosures and how they are mounted ...

woofer subs.jpg

OE woofers.jpg

Last edited:

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Here are my new equalizer settings after removing much of bass vibrations coming from the large rear speaker cover...I can now turn volume up to nearly 3/4 of max and no vibrations and low bass is fairly decent now...note 100 hz is still somewhat attenuated relative to 200hz...This is due to the response limitations of the speaker itself...

That said, I'm still eager to replace all the speakers to improve the quality and clarity of sound...

Equalizer settings.jpg

Last edited:

Sandman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR Launch Edition, 2022 BMW X40iM
Michael,

I brought my car back to my dealer and they are replacing them at no cost. I guess they are aware of the issue. Not sure if the replacement will be any better as I am out of town until next week. I will let everyone know once I get them though!!!

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Michael,

I brought my car back to my dealer and they are replacing them at no cost. I guess they are aware of the issue. Not sure if the replacement will be any better as I am out of town until next week. I will let everyone know once I get them though!!!
So they believe it's the woofer assembly itself? I'll be amazed if replacing them nets anything, but let us know. I'll try that if it actually does something.

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Like others mentioned eliminating the faux engine noise (which is injected into the audio system) using Bimmercode and massaging the sound response through the equalizer settings, the system sounds fairly decent....

That said, your still left with bass vibration noise which comes from the rear bass cover itself....

I was able to nearly eliminate most of the subwoofer vibration noise by applying cut up adhesive backed carpet tiles and adhesive back felt strips in the following places shown below...The only items I had to remove was the narrow rear cover (#16) and grill covers (#14)...

First area was behind drivers seat where I inserted folded strips of adhesive backed low pile carpet tile (arrows show direction of insertion)...

Woofer Cover rear - felt strips.jpg

Below is where adhesive back felt strips were applied under rear panel...

woofer cover rear narrow panel mounts - felt strips.jpg

Adhesive back felt applied between plastic mount tab and metal mounting bracket....

woofer cover plate rear - felt strip.jpg

Adhesive backed felt applied between outer grill cover and mesh grill insert....

woofer grill cover felt pads.jpg
Thanks for posting this! I was just searching for this information! I plan to add some dynamat to the subwoofer area and also add some polyfill to help with the Q-Factor of the subwoofer boxes which look like To-Go containers from last nights dinner! I'll report back on how it turns out.
Sponsored