Requesting data log help-fuel starvation?

SupaSupra

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Hi everyone. Im having a rough time with the supra. Im requesting some assistance/ideas to get it running right.
Background:
Car has 3,500 miles. Mods include pure 800, catless DP, Viconti flex fuel kit and Ecutek. It has been running strong on E30 and below.
Two days ago I got new, sticky tires installed. Nothing else has changed. When I drove it home the car pulled hard as usual but backfired pretty bad. I was full throttle, E32 and went from 3 to 5th gear. It kept backfiring under full load. I data logged and sent to the tuner. He sent me a new file to try and said im running out of fuel, take down the ethanol content.
Took down the content to E27. The car does the same thing. It will consistently detonate.
The tuner informed me I'm just running out of fuel. It was suggested I need the port injection kit. Im very happy with my power level, id like to keep it at the power it is but running correctly.
I figured maybe I need new spark plugs. I changed them out to the NGK laser iridium 94201. It does not back fire (I think) but the car goes into limp mode after a good hard pull. The car threw a 130716 code-Error target camshaft control.
From the data log I can see the car is pulling timing really bad. also I can see the fuel pressure drops from around 34 pis down to 12s psi. can you guys please take a look and give me some advice. Should I have another tuner turn it down a bit?

Out of respect to the original tuner I choose not to disclose. I attached the excel file here. Thank you all kindly for taking the time to read.

Excel ecutek log
Sponsored

Last edited:

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
I am wondering if your fuel pump might be failing. Cant see why it would start dropping fuel like that unless there is a mechanical issue.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a failing fuel pump, if the pressure sensor isn't registering enough pressure at delivery as targeted, the car will backfire on itself and cut power as a fail safe. In BMW's case, it'll cut and limp mode itself til' the issue is resolved.. (Speaking as a mitsubishi evo 8/9/X tech, idk if it applies for BMW)

OP
OP

SupaSupra

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Thatā€™s what I was thinking with a failure of the pump. Why would the psi drop. I was told this would be fixed with port injection.
SD MK thatā€™s exactly whatā€™s been happening. The car was backfiring (not anymore since I swapped spark plugs) and the car would go limp. Pre spark plug swap the car would backfire and go into limp mode. Now that I swapped plugs the car throws a ā€œcam jamā€ engine code. Dang.
Weird thing is the car does it only with the higher boost levels. Then goes back to normal.
Is the fuel pump near the spark plug in cyclinder 6? Or one in the gas tank? Iā€™ll start doing homework. Thank you guys

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Thatā€™s what I was thinking with a failure of the pump. Why would the psi drop. I was told this would be fixed with port injection.
SD MK thatā€™s exactly whatā€™s been happening. The car was backfiring (not anymore since I swapped spark plugs) and the car would go limp. Pre spark plug swap the car would backfire and go into limp mode. Now that I swapped plugs the car throws a ā€œcam jamā€ engine code. Dang.
Weird thing is the car does it only with the higher boost levels. Then goes back to normal.
Is the fuel pump near the spark plug in cyclinder 6? Or one in the gas tank? Iā€™ll start doing homework. Thank you guys
The pump on the top of the valve cover is the high pressure pump. There is also a low pressure in-tank pump. Either way just by looking at the logs they are seeing the fueling drop, so on the tuning side they would recommend you add PI but then again they are not diagnosing the car in person.

Have you tried filling up with only 93 octane and see if you're still hitting limp? If you are on Flex, reducing ethanol should lower the power and fuel demand.

OP
OP

SupaSupra

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Thank you. I will try reducing the ethanol to maybe an e15. Also I do have a 91 octane map (California car) that felt like it ran well. Iā€™ll try running it and logging.
So overall I will probably need the port injection system plus I may have a fuel problem causing a fuel pressure drop?

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
If the car has been running good up until recently, I would guess there must be something that might be failing. Personally, I would not want to add PI and then find out you still have a fuel component still failing.

OP
OP

SupaSupra

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I agree Black sedan. Id hate to get the PI with an underlying problem.
So today I decreased the burble to almost nothing. I initially had it set to the factory burble settings. I haven't had it backfire today. Im not sure that's going on.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
I agree Black sedan. Id hate to get the PI with an underlying problem.
So today I decreased the burble to almost nothing. I initially had it set to the factory burble settings. I haven't had it backfire today. Im not sure that's going on.
Yea doesn't sound right. Have you tried swapping to a 93 octane tune and checking to see if the issue is still there? I'm tuned by CES Motorsport from Monroe NC and I'm on MHD currently. CES has had a handful of Pure 800 cars come through, tuned on E30-E50 and MHD and have had 0 issues. Personally I thought Visconti had a great reputation as a tuner so I wouldn't think it was them, perhaps the pump is indeed failing.

OP
OP

SupaSupra

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I did try on 91 octane. It felt just fine. I had zero issues. Are you thinking the high pressure pump?

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
I did try on 91 octane. It felt just fine. I had zero issues. Are you thinking the high pressure pump?
When you tried on 91 did you get into it just as hard as you did on the Ethanol tune? Other than the Pure800 did anything else change other than the tune for the Pure800? I know it might be a pain in the ass, but if you still have your stock turbo have you tried tossing it back on and putting your old tune back on to see if it exhibits the same behavior on the Ethanol tune that you were using with it, that you're seeing with the Pure800? It almost sounds like the high pressure side is failing but if you weren't seeing any problems before the Pure800 that's a little odd. From what I know, most people have 0 issues swapping to a Pure800 and running a simple Ethanol tune.

OP
OP

SupaSupra

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I do have the old turbo that I can reinstall. On the 91 octane I drove the crap out of it. It felt just fine. It didn't pull timing, fuel psi looked good. Im thinking I just need more fuel. The PI seems to be the way most people are going with the pure 800. And I thought it would be an easy upgrade o_O

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
I do have the old turbo that I can reinstall. On the 91 octane I drove the crap out of it. It felt just fine. It didn't pull timing, fuel psi looked good. Im thinking I just need more fuel. The PI seems to be the way most people are going with the pure 800. And I thought it would be an easy upgrade o_O
I see plenty of cars without PI on pure800, tuned properly it should be fine. I would troubleshoot the fuel system. Maybe check the blend by hand using an ethanol tester before filling up to rule it out?

By no means am I an expert, but i would just try to go thru the process of elimination since it was running fine until recently.

OP
OP

SupaSupra

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Here is the plan. Im going review and trouble shoot the fuel system, remove and reinstall the airbox and components along the charge pipe just to ensure nothing is loose or broken since that was all messed with when I changed the turbo. Im ordering an ethanol blend testing kit as well. I will report the results.

Supra_D

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Did you ever figure it out? I have had the same problem. Tuner told me I was running out of fuel and I need port injection also. Iā€™m on flex fuel and it happens more so when Iā€™m in higher ethanol content. Itā€™s doesnā€™t happen really with 93 octane. I wasnā€™t sure if it was a iat thing or fuel starvation. I feel power reduced after 5k sometimes not sure what it is.
Sponsored

Last edited: