[Review] Twisted Tuning A90 Supra Upgraded Transmission Mounts

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Notice: I purchased this item myself. I am not compensated for this review, nor have I been contacted or encouraged to give one. I post this as a Supra owner and a member of the buying public.

Product: Twisted Tuning MKV Supra/BMW Z4 Semi-Solid Upgraded Transmission Mounts -- the Kevlar + Polyurethane version
Background: More info from the vendor

1641173973316.png

Install tips
  1. Car must be fully in the air on all four corners for the appropriate clearance.
  2. You will need a floor jack or bottle jack under the vehicle with a thick and wide plank of wood. The plank should be jacked snugly against the bottom of the transmission (oil pan) to ensure the trans does not move on the vertical axis when the chassis brace (magenta arrow) is removed. Use common sense and keep it snug, not crushing, so you don't destroy your transmission oil pan.
  3. Tools needed:
    1. 13mm box wrench to hold trans mount (blue box) bolts in-place
    2. 13mm deep well socket to drive and loosen the trans mount nuts (red box) and trans brace bolts (green box)
    3. 8mm socket for the felted splash guard over the trans
    4. Socket wrench
    5. Torque wrench
    6. A universal socket will be helpful for the brace bolt above the exhaust.
  4. Total install time of about 30 minutes (raising the car not included).
  5. Torque specs:
    1. 19 Nm: one nut for each mount (red box)
    2. 19 Nm: one bolt at each corner (green box) transmission chassis brace (magenta arrow)
  6. Full instructions

Review

tl;dr: if you're sensitive to cabin noise/vibration/harshness (NVH), immediately abort. Twisted Tuning severely under-sells the NVH increase by describing it only as a simple "increase from stock." If you want your Supra to be a sleek and quiet cabin cruiser, just close this browser tab and stick with your rubber mounts.

But if you're ready for your Supra to feel raw and unfiltered, maybe this is just what you've been looking for. Even then: I want to stress how raw these mounts feel. The politest way I can describe these mounts is "controversial." Still interested? Well, okay, if you insist...

Dear reader, I am here to tell you that these mounts will leave absolutely no doubt about what your transmission is up to. Did the gear change? KER-CHUNK. Are you decelerating? Zheeeeewwwwww (planetary gear noises abound). You about to drop the hammer in 3rd? Buckle the #&@! up because you're gonna feel every fuckin' tooth of that gear set. Your ass and hands have never felt more connected to this car. Feeble passengers will beg for mercy. Fillings will rattle out of your skull. I can't promise your hands won't go numb cruising in Sport 6th. If you're having a bad day, you may still wish you had those OEM rubber mounts.

But sweet mercy if these mounts don't feel raucous, wild, connected, visceral. Alive. People have moaned that the Supra feels too disconnected from the driver. Well well welly well well, get you a big-ass front sway bar and some Twisted Tuning mounts. You'll live to regret that you ever uttered that thought.

In terms of performance, I could swear that everything felt a little snappier. Maybe it's my uncalibrated butt dyno. But I do come from a long line of cars where rubber gets banished for polyurethane, and I've never regretted it.

IN CONCLUSION...
  • Buyer beware.
  • Daily Commuting: avoid.
  • Grand Touring: super avoid.
  • Track Junkie: buy.
  • Idiots Like Me That DD A Functional Track Car: probably buy. maybe.
Sponsored

slobra300

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra Premium
I can concur, the NVH is insane so I actually had them removed however, while they were installed, it did give me the "I'm driving a freaking race car feeling" LOL

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
... I like it. Wish they woukd release the motor mounts @Twisted Tuning :)
They are being worked on. Had to make some prototype changes from the last version.

I can concur, the NVH is insane so I actually had them removed however, while they were installed, it did give me the "I'm driving a freaking race car feeling" LOL
Yea some people are NVH sensitive. For me i dont much notice it after a week or two. Its just a big change from stock, so seems like its more dramatic than it is.

i have some options on the table that will take care of the more NVH sensitive owners coming soon

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Notice: I purchased this item myself. I am not compensated for this review, nor have I been contacted or encouraged to give one. I post this as a Supra owner and a member of the buying public.

Product: Twisted Tuning MKV Supra/BMW Z4 Semi-Solid Upgraded Transmission Mounts -- the Kevlar + Polyurethane version
Background: More info from the vendor

1641173973316.png

Install tips
  1. Car must be fully in the air on all four corners for the appropriate clearance.
  2. You will need a floor jack or bottle jack under the vehicle with a thick and wide plank of wood. The plank should be jacked snugly against the bottom of the transmission (oil pan) to ensure the trans does not move on the vertical axis when the chassis brace (magenta arrow) is removed. Use common sense and keep it snug, not crushing, so you don't destroy your transmission oil pan.
  3. Tools needed:
    1. 13mm box wrench to hold trans mount (blue box) bolts in-place
    2. 13mm deep well socket to drive and loosen the trans mount nuts (red box) and trans brace bolts (green box)
    3. 8mm socket for the felted splash guard over the trans
    4. Socket wrench
    5. Torque wrench
    6. A universal socket will be helpful for the brace bolt above the exhaust.
  4. Total install time of about 30 minutes (raising the car not included).
  5. Torque specs:
    1. 19 Nm: one nut for each mount (red box)
    2. 19 Nm: one bolt at each corner (green box) transmission chassis brace (magenta arrow)
  6. Full instructions

Review

tl;dr: if you're sensitive to cabin noise/vibration/harshness (NVH), immediately abort. Twisted Tuning severely under-sells the NVH increase by describing it only as a simple "increase from stock." If you want your Supra to be a sleek and quiet cabin cruiser, just close this browser tab and stick with your rubber mounts.

But if you're ready for your Supra to feel raw and unfiltered, maybe this is just what you've been looking for. Even then: I want to stress how raw these mounts feel. The politest way I can describe these mounts is "controversial." Still interested? Well, okay, if you insist...

Dear reader, I am here to tell you that these mounts will leave absolutely no doubt about what your transmission is up to. Did the gear change? KER-CHUNK. Are you decelerating? Zheeeeewwwwww (planetary gear noises abound). You about to drop the hammer in 3rd? Buckle the #&@! up because you're gonna feel every fuckin' tooth of that gear set. Your ass and hands have never felt more connected to this car. Feeble passengers will beg for mercy. Fillings will rattle out of your skull. I can't promise your hands won't go numb cruising in Sport 6th. If you're having a bad day, you may still wish you had those OEM rubber mounts.

But sweet mercy if these mounts don't feel raucous, wild, connected, visceral. Alive. People have moaned that the Supra feels too disconnected from the driver. Well well welly well well, get you a big-ass front sway bar and some Twisted Tuning mounts. You'll live to regret that you ever uttered that thought.

In terms of performance, I could swear that everything felt a little snappier. Maybe it's my uncalibrated butt dyno. But I do come from a long line of cars where rubber gets banished for polyurethane, and I've never regretted it.

IN CONCLUSION...
  • Buyer beware.
  • Daily Commuting: avoid.
  • Grand Touring: super avoid.
  • Track Junkie: buy.
  • Idiots Like Me That DD A Functional Track Car: probably buy. maybe.

Thank you for the review. Much appreciated.

Yea the NVH increase whether it be tolerable or not depends in the person. Like I said for me above. After a week or two. I got used to any new sounds and didn't much notice.

And I drive my car a lot.

Very good and unbiased review

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's the biggest takeaway, here. How sensitive are you to NVH? Everyone has different sensitivities and tolerances, and not all NVH is conveyed with the same "fit and finish" (as it were) .

Speaking for myself:

Rattling = ?
Squealing/squeaking = ?
Gear whine = ✅
Exhaust drone = Depends
Exhaust rasp = ?
High-pitched NVH = ?
Low rumble = ✅
Rhythmic NVH = ?
Sustained or consistent NVH = ✅

With my own personal sensitivities, the trans mounts are enjoyable because they don't run afoul of the NVH categories that are on my no-fly list. I am more connected to the car's behavior, with direct feedback I can feel in my seat and hands. That feedback is not high-pitched, intermittent, or rattly in nature... So it's all okay by me. And the NVH increase is pretty mild versus stock when cruising in 7th or 8th as a DD.

It's only low gears or Sport 5th/6th that get really wild, but (ahem) shenanigans are likely afoot already.

super-troopers.gif

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wow this review is about to make me impulse buy a 100$ filling shaker
Did you ever wake up one morning and think: "yes, I want my DD to be a raw and unforgiving experience, but I just love the sound of gears and clutch packs?"

Well... Do it.

hotsaucewizard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 1991 325i Turbo, 2019 RC350
Thought my e30 transmission was dying when I switched all the mounts over to solid lol.. at least I know what to not panic about

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Did you ever wake up one morning and think: "yes, I want my DD to be a raw and unforgiving experience, but I just love the sound of gears and clutch packs?"

Well... Do it.
fr tho is it bad for the car? Or is this somehow better?

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bad? No. Better? Depends on what you want. If you want to stiffen things up and take some slop out of the driveline, then this is a cheap and cheerful way to do it.

It's not a "must do" mod like upgraded sway bars or a tune. It's situational and subtle.

Reactions: zrk

j50gt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22' Supra 3.0
Coming from a background in noise/vibration/shock mounts, I would say there is a chance it could be bad for the car. Mounts serve more than one purpose, one of which is to absorb drivetrain shock. Truly no offense to Twisted or any other vendor, but I doubt any of them has ever seen a transmissibility curve, let alone understand one. I wouldn't put these or any aftermarket tranny/engine mounts on my car.
Sponsored