Road & Track Article dives into "What California's New ECU Law Means for Tuned Cars"

iLata

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
On Order: MY2021 - A91 Edition
What California's New ECU Law Means for Tuned Cars
California's biennial smog check now includes a test to detect unapproved ECU software or aftermarket tuners. We spoke with a SEMA representative to find out what this means for your car.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...californias-new-ecu-law-means-for-tuned-cars/

BY LUCAS BELL
AUG 20, 2021

Last month, the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) began enforcing a new policy focused on computer tuning in modern electronically-controlled engines. Basically, under the new rules, any vehicle with an ECU that's not approved by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) will fail the state's mandatory biennial smog check. When the news first broke, automotive enthusiasts in California and elsewhere voiced concerns about the new limitation, and wondered how it might affect tuned and modified vehicles. To get a better understanding of the new rules, we spoke with SEMA director of emissions compliance Peter Treydte.

In California, every registered vehicle has to pass a biennial smog check, which includes visual inspection of emissions equipment and a tailpipe test. The tests impact all gasoline-powered passenger vehicles from 1976 onwards, and every diesel-powered passenger vehicle from 1998 or newer. Testing is not required on vehicles that are less than eight years old.

As of July 19, 2021, BAR will expand this testing procedure beyond the standard visual inspection and tailpipe test. Now, OBDII-equipped cars and trucks from 1996 or newer will be checked to make sure they're running factory software or a CARB-approved ECU tune. If a car is running software that does not fall into these categories, it will fail the smog check, and can't be registered or renewed until the computer equipment is brought into compliance.

Testing for compliance involves plugging into the car's ECU and checking for two pieces of data: The Calibration Identification, or Cal ID, and the Calibration Verification Number, CVN. The Cal ID indicates which version of the software the car is running, similar to the iOS number in your iPhone. The CVN is calculated based on how the car runs, using parameters studied by the ECU, with the number changing when the software is adjusted.

California's new test looks at the CVN and Cal ID figures in the ECU’s code to determine if anything is out of place. (This suggests that certain "piggyback" devices could skirt the test if they're not detected visually, as these inline tuners don't change the Cal ID or CVN.) Any aftermarket computer device, whether it's an ECU or an inline tuner, is required to carry an Executive Order number, or EO, that indicates it's been approved by CARB.

CARB and BAR have yet to clarify what this new test procedure means for vehicles built before 1996 (i.e., pre-OBD), though the state requires all cars built after 1975 to pass the emissions test for their model year. What we do know for sure is this: if you’re running an ECU or a tuning device that doesn't have a CARB EO, you’re gonna want to bring it back into compliance before your next emissions test.

Treydte and his colleagues at SEMA are no strangers to BAR and CARB. In fact, a large part of SEMA's work involves collaborating with regulators on things like emissions compliance. As a result, Treydte has become quite knowledgeable about this new regulation, and feels strongly that there's no reason for enthusiasts to fear the new tests.

"So far in the two weeks that have transpired, we have seen zero instances of concern," Treydte told R&T. "I really don’t think that this is problematic."

The SEMA executive explained that only a tiny number of California vehicles are likely to be in violation of the new rule. Treydte says BAR shared data with SEMA estimating that, out of the roughly one million vehicles that undergo smog testing each month, only around 150 to 300 cars are expected to fail due to an illegal ECU tune. For comparison, around 10,000 cars fail every month due to mechanical problems or other non-ECU issues. These estimates should be trustworthy: BAR has had the authority to run this program in California since 2013, and has been collecting data on the ECUs of cars being tested since 2015.

That data has shaped the rules that are now being implemented. Treydte says the data BAR has collected can tell the agency how many vehicles are factory-tuned (i.e., with a post-purchase computer update) and which are running aftermarket software or computer hardware. "They know which of those aftermarket modifications are legal, associated with a CARB Executive Order," he said. "They already have that information. What’s happened here as of July 19 is simply an implementation of a failure condition during smog check based on some of that data they read from an ECU."

SEMA has worked closely with aftermarket suppliers to get a significant number of tuning devices CARB EO-certified. Of the nearly 500 CARB EOs that SEMA has gotten certified over the last eight years, the majority have been related to ECU tunes, including those that come with certain forced-induction upgrade kits. SEMA isn’t alone in this effort: Aftermarket equipment makers can get their products certified on their own if they’re willing to go through the process. A full searchable list of CARB EO-certified parts can be found here.

Not every aftermarket parts manufacturer is interested in playing by the rules, of course. Treydte said some are likely fearful or ignorant of the process of EO certification, while others are willing belligerent when it comes to the rules. Those in the latter category, particularly those involved in diesel truck tuning, are largely responsible for the new rules.

"When you do certain egregious things with modifications, you can create a situation where the [emissions] output of a given vehicle can be ten, 15, or 100 times what that vehicle might have been in its stock form," said Treydte. "With diesel pickup trucks for example, removing emissions systems through EGR deletes, not only are you creating a much higher output of emissions, but it's also very visible. You get soot coming out the tailpipe. It shines a spotlight on certain modifications that make our industry look bad.... We’re trying to educate our industry that these things can not only be detrimental to air quality, but also to our reputation."

In Treydte's view, with electric cars growing in popularity, a reputation for environmental recklessness is the last thing the automotive aftermarket needs. By collaborating with regulators, SEMA hopes to forestall a situation where the EPA clamps down on the tuning industry on a national level—something Treydte fears could happen if the non-compliant segment of the aftermarket continues to flout the current rules. And now that you know the law, you're better equipped to make sure your car will pass its next smog check.
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black

MYNEWFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Turbulence Gray Supra Premium
This article is not old news, it was published yesterday. It actually goes into depth on what it means for tuners, I haven't seen that before. Sure old cars are fine, but most of us have a couple cars, and aren't necessarily worried about the Supra
I see that you are in Chicago, unless you've moved to California. It doesn't affect you in any way, and it probably doesn't affect you if you have a new vehicle and it's beyond July 2019.

So it may be new or new news to you, but I read it in depth in July 2021, and it hasn't diverted much from what I understood when I read it then.
So it's old news to me.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/ca...or-ecu-tuning-in-smog-checks-this-month.9964/

MYNEWFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Turbulence Gray Supra Premium
Here's why it doesn't or has not affected me.

My 2012 R58 JCW Coupe was a 2012, and didn't need its first smog until 2019.
Which it passed and it was tuned, but it was a c.a.r.b approved tune.

My wife's 2006 HHR hasn't been smog since we first bought it in 2006 and still till this day, continues to get a pass whenever we have to register the vehicle. Do the math that's 15 years.

Lol, her car isn't tuned, but smog abatement fees through the CA DMV, have been in effect here in California for awhile now.

Here is my read of the B.A.R Code/Law :
This is taken from the post >
(Now, OBDII-equipped cars and trucks from 1996 or newer will be checked to make sure they're running factory software or a CARB-approved ECU tune.
If a car is running software that does not fall into these categories, it will fail the smog check, and can't be registered or renewed until the computer equipment is brought into compliance.)

And this is from BAR.CA.gov:>>

(For example, a 2020 model-year vehicle will first be subject to a biennial Smog Check in 2028 (2020 + 8 = 2028). That same vehicle will require a change-of-ownership Smog Check if sold in or after 2024 (2020 + 4 = 2024).

Diesel-powered vehicles that are model-year 1998 and newer with a gross vehicle weight rating of 14,000 pounds and less require a Smog Check. There are no model year exceptions for diesel-powered vehicles.)

So if you have a c.a.r.b approved tune, you got nothing to worry about, or if you set your car back to its original form before you go to the smog place, you got nothing to worry about. If You're trying to get your car smogged with no cat or aftermarket cat and a tune,, you better check with Volkswagen or Chrysler to find out how they fooled the sniffer..

R58.jpg

Last edited:

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
It’s one thing to mod and tune your car within the parameters that we all mis live within particularly as it relates to pollution standards. I hope to be able to tune my car within those parameters and I think I should be able to do so.

This, to me, seems like an understandable response to tuning that puts vehicles outside of emissions standards: standards that are law and that citizens have a reasonable expectation that the state upholds for their health and well-being.

Catless downpipes and tunes that cause cars to belch out NOx,, SOx, PM, and hydrocarbons that are literally ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE higher than emission standards got us here.

I am two non-mutually exclusive and non-contradictory things: an automotive enthusiast and a citizen concerned about clean air standards and the health of me an my family. I’ll mod up to a point: that point ends where the standards that have been set to protect your health are exceeded.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
It's ALL illegal EVERYWHERE in the U.S. under the Clean Air Act, so it doesn't matter. Just because your county doesn't E-check, doesn't mean it's legal to take cats off. Or tune your engine, or replace your intake, etc, etc.
Sponsored