Rotella T6?

supradupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra (soon)
hey guys,
new member (been a creeper on this forum for a little bit) im looking to get a new 2020 supra here once the slack ass dealer calls me back. wanted to get options on running rotella T6? first off Yes i know its diesel truck oil. this oil is great for all applications as we use it in all my Suzuki race bikes on my race team and i also have a Tundra that tows a 30 ft trailer on the reg and i have 170k on the clock on that and still running great also i use it in my daily gas sipper fiesta. i would like to keep one oil in house for all vehicles (hell i even run it in my john deer lawn mower (i use the reg rotella for that one)) as i have been doing. its a 5w-40 and i just wanted to see if anyone else is looking to run that oil etc. (not looking for a "this oil is better than that" thread just wanted to know if its a safe oil to run as it seems to be amazing on all other applications i use it for (when we do refreshes on my race bike engines they look spotless on the inside) and those see a 16k rpm range and that oil holds up very well to high performance. will be using OEM filters.
Sponsored

ChrisD

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
A90 Supra, Twin Turbo 350Z, NA 370Z
The service manual calls for 0w20, so going up to 5w40 is quite a bit thicker than that and its an oil designed for diesel engines not petrol. Not sure I'd risk it myself, especially knowing how tight some of the bearing clearances were on previous BMW engines. If I remember rightly people did actually have issues if they used oils that were too thick (think that might have just been the E92 M3 V8 though, not sure how common it is amongst other BMW engines).

Basically using anything other than what the manufacturer recommends is always a little bit of a risk really... Having said that I was fine switching from the stock 0w20 to 5w30 on my GT86, and from stock 5w30 to 10w40 on my 350Z.

But yeah I doubt anyone else is looking at running thick diesel truck oil in their new supra lol so you're probably on your own here

OP
OP

supradupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra (soon)
yeah it contains a higher zinc content than most gas engine oils which is better for bearing wear in the long run. prob should have mentioned that it will be in 5k change intervals also Rotella carries a API-SJ rating which is approved for gas engines. also they do make a 0w-40 for the T6 also perhaps that would be a better fit than the 5w? just did some light googling on people running in bmw engines and came across a thread where a guy posted up his Blackstone sample report...the comments from their tech is interesting. not sure how different the N54 motor is from the B58 in the supra also i believe the b58 motor has a diesel variant (which i believe shares the same bottom end) and i thought that i heard that mentioned in the video where that guy stripped the 2020 supra motor down to be built

rbfIrbo.jpg

Last edited:

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
We use Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 5w40 on all our cars. Which is also technically a diesel oil. I havent found anything better than Schaeffer's

OP
OP

supradupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra (soon)
We use Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 5w40 on all our cars. Which is also technically a diesel oil. I havent found anything better than Schaeffer's

great to know! i am taking it you guys are using this oil on your supra project? i have been road racing sportbikes for over 10 years now at the expert/pro level and we swear buy it in all our engine builds.....so would the 0w-40 or the 5w-40 be a better fit for this application? the schaeffers is awesome stuff but we do fluid changes in the race bikes after each round so the cost of the Rotella is more season budget friendly. i would love to use this oil in the supra (when ever i get it) but i dont know a ton about BMW engines. but that makes me feel relieved coming from a builder/tuning commpany

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
I wouldn't necessarily worry about the 5w versus 0w depending on the climate, but to go from nominal 20 weight to 40 weight is a big jump and I wouldn't be comfortable with that. It will affect a lot of things in the engine. If the engine is designed for 20 weight, then running 40 weight will decrease flow rate through oil passages and increase frictional drag of the fluid itself. Whether or not it provides better film lubrication will be debatable since there are two aspects of that, the viscosity and the ability of the oil to flow in between parts, and they are counter to each other.

Between my boat (gas), tractor (diesel), generator (diesel), UTV (diesel), outdoor power equipment (gas), truck (gas), and three cars (gas), I don't think I have a single common oil across any of them. I just deal with it. I'd rather give each engine its specified oil than worry about inventory management of my oil. And even though I am a mechanical engineer, I don't feel qualified to second guess the guys who designed and spec'd my engines. They know about stuff that's not even on my radar.

Lubrication in engines is part science and part experience/testing. BMW likely specified the thinner oil to improve efficiency and emissions, but whether or not they optimized the lubrication system for that thinner oil is unknown to me. It's one thing to go with a thinner oil because it improves efficiency and it tested OK for wear, but it's another to design the lubrication system around the thinner oil to get additional benefits. Knowing the Germans, I expect they went all-in on the thinner oil, so unless I hear otherwise, I think it's safe to assume that the pump, passages, filtration, etc, were optimized for the thinner oil.

OP
OP

supradupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra (soon)
i thought i read somewhere the oil in Europe was spec for 0w-30? i wonder if for the US they made it 0w-20 for emissions.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
I'd be shocked if Euro emissions were more lenient, usually they are a lot tougher. I bet one of the UK owners could tell us though.

OV Supra

First Name
Oleg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 BMW 335i M-Sport, 1999 Mazda Miata
hey guys,
new member (been a creeper on this forum for a little bit) im looking to get a new 2020 supra here once the slack ass dealer calls me back. wanted to get options on running rotella T6? first off Yes i know its diesel truck oil. this oil is great for all applications as we use it in all my Suzuki race bikes on my race team and i also have a Tundra that tows a 30 ft trailer on the reg and i have 170k on the clock on that and still running great also i use it in my daily gas sipper fiesta. i would like to keep one oil in house for all vehicles (hell i even run it in my john deer lawn mower (i use the reg rotella for that one)) as i have been doing. its a 5w-40 and i just wanted to see if anyone else is looking to run that oil etc. (not looking for a "this oil is better than that" thread just wanted to know if its a safe oil to run as it seems to be amazing on all other applications i use it for (when we do refreshes on my race bike engines they look spotless on the inside) and those see a 16k rpm range and that oil holds up very well to high performance. will be using OEM filters.
Well I know BMWs for the most part and I did a lot of research on oils for BMW's, specifically the N52 and N55 engine. Of the research and my own usage of oils, with doing a Blackstone analysis on every change I can say I have some personal experience regarding oils.

The three main oils I've used where
Castrol 0w40 euro
Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5w40
Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40

My top two would be the Motul and the Liqui Moly.

The Motul for sure is a Group 5 synthetic oil or mostly group 5.
I Contacted Liqui Moly regarding the Leichtlauf and they said it wasn't a full group 5 oil but that it didn't matter as much anymore with current additive packages and refining tech.

The Castrol was the old benchmark for me since its the most readily available oil that's highly rated among euro car owners (You could buy at Wal-Mart if needed)

But once I started using Liqui Moly and Motul the engine got quieter and the lifters got quieter as well. The difference was noticeable going from Castrol to Liqui Moly but not so much from LM to Motul since they're both really good.

The LM cut oil consumption on my old bmw from 1 quart every 5k to 1/3rd quart every 5 k compared to Mobil one and Castrol (2006 bmw 190k miles)

Another thing to note is that those oils are BMW LL-1 spec. Very Important to use the right spec oil for BMW's so that you'll have metal compatibility, proper additive package for BMW technology like VANOS among other things we may not know from their engineering point of view. Not a lot of oils carry the BMW LL-1 Spec.

The BMW B58 supra engine calls for either the BMW LL-14 FE or LL-17 FE not sure but even some of the top BMW parts sellers dont recommend it like FCP Euro

"New BMW's fitted with BXX series engines "Require" 0W-20 LL14FE+ Rated oils. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND using this spec! The levels of protection LL14FE provides are much lower than LL01. The new formulation LL14FE is mainly designed with CAFE ratings, EPA requirements and fuel mileage in mind, NOT OVERALL PROTECTION."

The 0W20 oil is mainly for fuel efficiency by reducing friction and its not even by much. I average on my 335i about 33mpg going 75 mph using a 5w40 oil.

The Liqui Moly and Motul get used in very high performance cars so they can take the abuse and have the proper specs for BMW engines.

Just check out their ratings on amazon and the Bimmer forums.

I guess you can use any oil but using the right oil will prolong the life and power from your engine. I believe even that Motul oil can be used for diesel trucks as well if thats your thing. After changing oils to LM and Motul I'd never wanna go back.

Give it a try and feel the difference, even in your current vehicles.

Sikh_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
hey guys,
I’m using rotella T6 with a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer.
Sponsored