Shiro-1

First Name
Mister M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Prem
Gents,

Check your vehicles too. This can be a recall or TSB. I just noticed it last Sunday when I was cleaning the vehicle.

I already made an appointment this Saturday. I purchased the car back in January 2020 and I right now I only have 2100 [two thousand one hundred] miles on the odometer. Car is garaged and never driven on the rain, snow and never seen the socal beaches and I only use Meguiars gold class car wash shampoo and conditioner.

right side rear.jpg

right side.jpg

left side rear.jpg
Sponsored

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I'm fairly certain the hatch is made of plastic. The rear quarters are steel though.

Jason In2details

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR Yellow
Where the finger is pointed is not even made of metal. My guess is some type of contaminant was just sitting there and rusted just as fast as brake rotors do. Take a Qtip and some vinegar and rub the rust spot and it should wipe right off. Please at least do that before going to dealer and looking a fool.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Checked. Everything seems fine and I leave my car outside 24/7. Rain & snow. :dunno:

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Yeah I checked mine, too and nothing but a little mineral build-up from letting water pool there after washing (I'm lazy and don't always blow it out). Something in your water maybe?

2Cool

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium 3.0
Did you do any metal work/grinding near the car? Park near construction? Looks like steel bits accumulated there and rusted in the water that sits in that spot. You can use a cleaner and a small brush to get it off the paint.

OP
OP
Shiro-1

Shiro-1

First Name
Mister M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Prem
Where the finger is pointed is not even made of metal. My guess is some type of contaminant was just sitting there and rusted just as fast as brake rotors do. Take a Qtip and some vinegar and rub the rust spot and it should wipe right off. Please at least do that before going to dealer and looking a fool.

I will try use Q-tip when I get home tonight and post some update.

OP
OP
Shiro-1

Shiro-1

First Name
Mister M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Prem
Did you do any metal work/grinding near the car? Park near construction? Looks like steel bits accumulated there and rusted in the water that sits in that spot. You can use a cleaner and a small brush to get it off the paint.
No grinding or metal work nor parked near a construction site. I will try the Q-Tip with vinegar method tonight when I get home from work.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Paint layer is already thin on this car. Maybe paint didn't reach there... I believe they do electrostatic coating and dip in anti rust chemical beforehand, but spray is done by robot and perhaps they didn't program it properly or something... Who knows... Any other areas?
I'll check mine tomorrow.

Maybe a case of reapplied rear glass at inspection???

still doesn't answer why it rusted. but I suppose Talc can rust and magnesium corrode... perhaps a case of this..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shiro-1

Shiro-1

First Name
Mister M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Prem
Okay. I already cleaned the part with some q-tips with a dab of vinegar and here is the result (see attachment).

most of you guys said that the part is not made of metal. If this is a rust stain, would it be possible that the brackets/bolts are the one that is rusting?

Attachments

2Cool

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium 3.0
Okay. I already cleaned the part with some q-tips with a dab of vinegar and here is the result (see attachment).

most of you guys said that the part is not made of metal. If this is a rust stain, would it be possible that the brackets/bolts are the one that is rusting?
Get some actual automotive paint safe iron remover, like: https://www.amazon.com/Carpro-Iron-Remover-500-Sprayer/dp/B004UM6DLE/r

You can also make a paste out of baking soda and use a q-tip. This acts like polishing compound.

Raidernation

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten Silver 3.0 Premium Supra
Get some actual automotive paint safe iron remover, like: https://www.amazon.com/Carpro-Iron-Remover-500-Sprayer/dp/B004UM6DLE/r

You can also make a paste out of baking soda and use a q-tip. This acts like polishing compound.
i donā€™t know how much thatā€™s going to work. The rust looks likes the it is under the paint and is making the paint peel. Maybe iron/steel contamination got onto the trunk deck before it was sprayed at the factory? Definitely Toyota needs to fix this for you.

OP
OP
Shiro-1

Shiro-1

First Name
Mister M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Prem
i donā€™t know how much thatā€™s going to work. The rust looks likes the it is under the paint and is making the paint peel. Maybe iron/steel contamination got onto the trunk deck before it was sprayed at the factory? Definitely Toyota needs to fix this for you.

Yes, I agree. I already setup an Appointment with Tustin Toyota for this Saturday.
Sponsored