Safe to run without a tune ?

Sethtroy22

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I recently bought a 2020 Supra last month and was wondering if I could run a MST v.2 intake and FTP charge pipe without a tune and still be safe ? I plan to do the downpipe and tune within a couple months but was wondering if there would be any risk with just these two mods first and no tune. Thanks for any help
Sponsored

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
Generally speaking, intake mods are safe to run without a retune.

That said, I don’t believe the stock turbo is bottlenecked by the stock intake. Your improvements are likely going to be limited to more turbo noises and perhaps somewhat crisper throttle response.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
As a general rule, what mods would be unsafe to run without a tune, besides the obvious like a different turbo, messing with the FI, etc. I'm trying to think of a bolt-on you'd need a tune for to make it safe and I'm not coming up with anything. Sure, you may not take full advantage of what it has to offer.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
As a general rule, what mods would be unsafe to run without a tune, besides the obvious like a different turbo, messing with the FI, etc. I'm trying to think of a bolt-on you'd need a tune for to make it safe and I'm not coming up with anything. Sure, you may not take full advantage of what it has to offer.

methanol injection and high E85 mix

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
OP, not only can you run those without a tune you also won't really get any real gains from those mods. So I would have no worries at all. All you will get is increased whooshiboy noises from the intake.

DP will get you gains, as you already know, but yea then it's best to get a tune to maximize the gains. Again though, if you don't, all that would do is make the CEL pop up (if you run catless) and that on it's own doesn't really do anything either besides annoy you.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
It's all safe until the car breaks.

Like how I told my wife I'm never going to ever buy another RWD car.. until I bought my Supra.

mdbr0tha

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra, R35
I"m Late! But I'm looking at a HKS Intake and Tomei Exhaust...What would be a good option for a DP, with no tune?

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I"m Late! But I'm looking at a HKS Intake and Tomei Exhaust...What would be a good option for a DP, with no tune?
I'm personally running catless, the CEL doesn't bother me.
If the CEL bothers you then AMS & AA Catted DP's don't throw a CEL.
People claim Armytrix catless DP with the simulator that's built in won't throw a CEL.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I'm personally running catless, the CEL doesn't bother me.
If the CEL bothers you then AMS & AA Catted DP's don't throw a CEL.
People claim Armytrix catless DP with the simulator that's built in won't throw a CEL.
CELs don't usually bother people on their own, they bother people when they can't renew their registration because they fail emissions.

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CELs don't usually bother people on their own, they bother people when they can't renew their registration because they fail emissions.
Meh, that's why I do it myself. A handful of states give a few years before you need to smog. California gives you 8 years so. I think you'd be surprised how much a CEL bugs people on their new 60k+ car. lol

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
The only bolt on I have that has given me any issue has been my catless downpipe. Luckily I do not get a CEL because of the simulator Armytrix has on it, but it acts a little funny when it's under hard acceleration. Almost like it knows it's got more to work with, but it's being limited by the ECU.

Hell you can even throw in a new Intake manifold without a tune if you want to and not have any issues.
Sponsored