Safety Inspection with Tints

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0 Premium
Howdy Folks,

Planning on getting tints, 35% on the front windshield and 15% all around, and the installer mentioned that anything over 70% on the front windshield won’t pass a safety inspection (although he has no issues with installing it).

So two questions for folks in the Virginia area:

1. Has anyone with tints greater than 70% on the windshield faced any issues with passing safety inspections in Virginia?

2. Does anyone happen to have any recommendations for shops or service centers that may or may not be a bit more, let’s say, “lenient” with said tint levels? If so, would you be willing to share either on this thread or through PM?

TIA!
Sponsored

mdbr0tha

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra, R35
Reach out to the Mid Atlantic Supra Facebook group. They may have more insight on locations in the VA area.

Edit: Yep this is the Mid-Atlantic Group, my apologies, you're good.

OP
OP
Priceless_Target
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0 Premium
Reach out to the Mid Atlantic Supra group. There's one here, and there's a Facebook group. They may have more insight on locations in the VA area.

I think I posted this in the Mid-Atlantic group here? If not, my apologies and can delete if it’s in the wrong place

In regards to the Facebook group, I sent a request to join but was denied :( I’ll send a request there again or reach out the the mods of that Facebook group to see what I might’ve missed or need.

Thank you!

OP
OP
Priceless_Target
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0 Premium
nO idea why you were denied? def message the admins. I think i know the admin if you pm me your name i can ask them to look out for you too
Just went back and double checked and the reason stated that I didn’t answer all of the questions when joining? Which is odd because I am fairly certain I did, but may have been a bug on FB where it didn’t send my answers??

Regardless, Thank you!! Just messaged one of the admins listed on there and will keep fingers crossed that they see my message / request and let me in.

Should all else fail, will be sure to PM you in hopes of getting access; I appreciate the help and guidance!

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
So I noticed this on all the glass some time ago:

ED247AC7-A2EE-4DA1-A781-1D0DC032A844.jpeg

Is that saying the “stock” glass is already at 70%? Or something completely different? (For reference that is the windshield in the picture.)

deadinside

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0
So I noticed this on all the glass some time ago:

ED247AC7-A2EE-4DA1-A781-1D0DC032A844.jpeg

Is that saying the “stock” glass is already at 70%? Or something completely different? (For reference that is the windshield in the picture.)
Yeah, just what the stock glass should transmit as all OEM glass has *SOME* level of tint on it. This is why when people apply the "legal" tint percentage of whatever their state is ONTOP of the OEM tint it will read lower, and therefore "illegal".

I'm not familiar with VA inspections but in MD a state inspector would fail you for the windshield tint if it exceeded the top 6 inches of the glass (so a full windshield tint would exceed that).

I will guarantee you though that there are inspectors out there that are a bit, shall we say, "visually impaired" when looking at the TINT sections of inspection sheets. Just have to find them.

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 XSE Hatch, 22 3.0 Prem, Chevy Z06(waiting list)
Howdy Folks,

Planning on getting tints, 35% on the front windshield and 15% all around, and the installer mentioned that anything over 70% on the front windshield won’t pass a safety inspection (although he has no issues with installing it).

So two questions for folks in the Virginia area:

1. Has anyone with tints greater than 70% on the windshield faced any issues with passing safety inspections in Virginia?

2. Does anyone happen to have any recommendations for shops or service centers that may or may not be a bit more, let’s say, “lenient” with said tint levels? If so, would you be willing to share either on this thread or through PM?

TIA!
Just get someone else to do your state inspection who won't be a police officer on a bad day over a film on your window when you have 20/20 vision. People who complain about tint usually can't drive a car in a lane that turns with the road lol

mdbr0tha

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra, R35
I'm actually looking for a MD inspection place that's liement on tint. Anybody know any spots pm me

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
I don't think you're going to get away with it unless you can find an indy shop to do it and even then it's hit or miss. I'm sure you've already looked up the legal values, but if not, here you go https://www.raynofilm.com/blog/automotive-window-tint-laws-by-state

As for windshield tint, you're likely going to get a bunch of hassle, especially if you have a dark car with dark interior. Once cops can't see you, especially in VA, you know they'll come after you.

Are you tinting out for medical reasons or just for aesthetics?

sstevecc82

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
I'm getting 50% front side windows and 35% back side and rear windows (VA window tint law).

OP
OP
Priceless_Target
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0 Premium
I don't think you're going to get away with it unless you can find an indy shop to do it and even then it's hit or miss. I'm sure you've already looked up the legal values, but if not, here you go https://www.raynofilm.com/blog/automotive-window-tint-laws-by-state

As for windshield tint, you're likely going to get a bunch of hassle, especially if you have a dark car with dark interior. Once cops can't see you, especially in VA, you know they'll come after you.

Are you tinting out for medical reasons or just for aesthetics?
Whoops, sorry for the late reply, but did it just for aesthetics
Sponsored