Nissan Z vs Toyota Supra

Which one gets your vote?

• Total voters

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Tungsten
Well the wind buffeting is an issue. We can't complain about other forums making excuses like "it's an easy fix with blah blah" if we're gonna do the same.
If you buy a Supra, you're dealing with that problem.
Right, but it's a cheap fix that takes mere minutes to install. But somehow they have clung onto that like it steals your soul.

But needing to drop thousands on mods on the Z, it's a non-issue for him. :dunno:
Sponsored

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Well the wind buffeting is an issue. We can't complain about other forums making excuses like "it's an easy fix with blah blah" if we're gonna do the same.
Lots of more exotic and less exotic cars have had the problem. This is beyond absurd at this point. If buffeting bothers you fix it. Placing it in a video with known solutions is cheap. Its been a problem on other cars but now with the Supra the fkn world ends LOL. The more thought about this video the less good it is. More or less a platform to dig at the Supra as much as to expose the Z for what its not. Now he appears to be paid to say - oh its the better drivers car lol. That is a subjective attitude in the extreme. Very much a shill paid statement that someone PR hack at a large company fed him. Its almost a tag line for an advert.

Hey NISSAN - your fkn car lost. Its recycled 370Z reskinned. Fk off.

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
k

No one has built a Z to compete with a Supra. Frankly with an auto you need a new and better gearbox. 5k..........really.............we have no idea but im thinking double that.
Yah I was being conservative and pulled that 5K number out of nowhere. More likely will be more.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Sure, and if they were comparing stock vs stock it would have been a valid complaint, but they weren't. They installed hundreds of dollars in parts on the Z to fix known issues (brake pads + fluid), but then turned around and complained about something that costs a few tens of dollars to fix on the Supra as if it's a deal breaker.

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
Yea that trunk loading vid...was dumb...I woulda got that in quickly even before I owned the car and knew it.

Hitting your head only happened once...after that I learned not to do it and I've frankly forgotten about that problem.

Fixed windbuffeting with $10 part.

That Z would have lost really bad if they kept the brakes stock.

The Z lost because it's basically from 2009. Even that statement is putting it nicely.

The Supra lap time had a 2 sec gap to the Z, then the Z had a 2 sec gap to the GR86. Price the performance Z at 42k and all the hype would live on.

NOW...I wanna see 4cyl 2.0 Supra vs Z base. I wonder if it's gunna be close in that metric.

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NOW...I wanna see 4cyl 2.0 Supra vs Z base. I wonder if it's gunna be close in that metric.
Huh I'd actually like to see this too. Given how decently close the GR86 came to the Z despite having 150hp less, a Supra 2.0 should theoretically come closer.

AirAlexie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
To any Z bois who come out saying “ well if you upgrade XYZ you’ll be able to keep up with a Supra “

this is a STUPID analogy. You’re going to buy a brand new car only to immediately dump $15K into it only to be able to “ keep up “ with its direct competition? No.

The Nissan Z is a 370Z with an engine swap & body kit.

nissan tried to finesse the industry with that car & forgot that everyone is armed with the internet.

“ The Z will be the Supra Killer “ the Supra once again proved everyone who thought this hella wrong. Nissan just drove demand for the Supra way up.

reroute

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
Changing tires and brakepads was odd(unfair)... but glossing over the Z's fuel cutting issue while harping on the A90's wind buffeting issue was super odd. It's very odd for nissan to not have fixed this massive design flaw lol. How is it okay to keep releasing a line that's had fuel starvation issues across different models since 2002... Sometimes it's 3/4 of a tank and they'll still do that shit lol... I mean come on. I'm sure the Z will probably be fun to drive when I finally do get to test one out, but there's nothing showing that it's even in the supra's league.

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
The winner of this comparo was the GR86. Cheaper, fun to drive, better feeling haha- probably not wrong. Amazing it's only seconds behind Oni-san (Supra).

Note: I like SG, they make really good content. They raise valid points and criticism of both. Kudos to them for making this video.

UCLAKoolman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
They've already started with that

" lol what a convenient bs to say. nissan has one of the richest performance history with nismo. gtr was beating sht out of bmw when it was released, in both accel and price. i also would be happy to see what you ll say if/when nismo version will be more powerful than 397bhp and around supra price "

I finally finished their video. I'm not really a SG fan, to me Mark always has these biased opinions that others don't really agree with or feel the same. When you are an auto blogger/reviewer you are supposed to be as unbiased as possible. I get it, you truly never can be but just like in here he once again speaks about his loathing of BMW handling. most of the things he stated on the track portion the actual race car driver didn't agree on. (both did agree that the Z had the more old school sports car handling feel) If I wanted a "old school" feeling car, I'd go buy a old school sports car and save the money. I know there are people that want that, and the Z will fit that. I think many people love the way BMW cars handle. I also not sure why they had no issue with adding brake pads and fluid to the Z, but didn't want to add a alignment to the Supra. I know as many on here do as well, the Supra handles soooo much better once you get a proper alignment.
Agreed. I really can’t stand Mark, I disagree with almost all of his “feelings” for the Supra that he’s expressed in this and other SG videos. Plenty of other content out there, fortunately.

“Oh one more thing guys, fuel cuts out on the Z if it has less than 3/4 of a tank, so if you’re driving it for more than 20 min at a time you could experience this issue”. What?!? How is that acceptable to anyone? Should Z owners who want to track this thing expect to refuel every couple laps? I know some of ya’ll like SG but I’m unsubbing. For me this was the nail in the coffin for both the Z and this clown YouTuber.

Last edited:

MVJ1975

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0
“Oh one more thing guys, fuel cuts out on the Z if it has less than 3/4 of a tank, so if you’re driving it for more than 20 min at a time you could experience this issue”. What?!? How is that acceptable to anyone? Shoukd Z owners who want to track this thing expect to refuel every couple laps? I know some of ya’ll like SG but I’m unsubbing. For me this was the nail in the coffin for both the Z and this clown YouTuber.
The really bad thing about this is that - like YellowJacket said - this isn't a new problem. It has actually existed since the 350Z. 20 years later the car has the same damn problem.

I actually do like the Z. It looks good - other than the front - and it seems to drive well enough. I can't really fault anyone who chooses it; these sorts of things are emotional purchases after all. Nissan just doesn't have the money to throw at a sports car that Toyota/BMW do, and the parts-bin raiding and old platform are understandable, and they did a good job with what they had to work with. I think anyone who was honest with themselves knew it wasn't going to be a "Supra Killer", just a fun, sorta-reasonably priced GT. Does the world need more of such cars? Absolutely.

And +1 for the GR86. Lots of bang for buck there.
Sponsored