2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
This’ll be forgotten about in a few months. Just a few Karen’s out there that got overtaken by us and didn’t like it.
Exactly! Lol! My question is, how will anyone know you’ve “modified” your car? I mean, take the MKV Supra for example....the Pure 800 turbo is a factory housing modified turbo. You look at it in the engine bay, and it’s completely factory looking. The tune doesn’t trigger any CEL’s, so during emission testing....what will raise a red flag? I can see this promoting more street racing more than anything, since they will probably start targeting drag strips.

I too agree, this smoke will clear quickly...no pun intended.

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Exactly! Lol! My question is, how will anyone know you’ve “modified” your car? I mean, take the MKV Supra for example....the Pure 800 turbo is a factory housing modified turbo. You look at it in the engine bay, and it’s completely factory looking. The tune doesn’t trigger any CEL’s, so during emission testing....what will raise a red flag? I can see this promoting more street racing more than anything, since they will probably start targeting drag strips.

I too agree, this smoke will clear quickly...no pun intended.
Let’s say the law does pass. I think this would be the outcome:
1. No performance parts can be sold in the USA
2. No shops can knowingly add performance parts on a customers car or perform actions that will mess with emissions. Fine or shut down of practice can occur
3. A dealer must report on any news performance parts seen added to a car on all model cars manufactured past 2022

I don’t think they can simply strip your parts away from the car.

but this law is unconstitutional and won’t pass. Adding a few hundred horsepower to the Supra is nothing. If a veyron can be bought and driven on the streets. So can my neighbors 2002 Honda Civic Si ricer

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Also adding on that this won’t stop street racing. I will speed in anything with a motor. Even those electric shopping chair things at stores.
(Do a quick lookup on how to remove its governor. It’s fun af but RIP to the 800 pound lady that will use it after you)

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
These are hyperbolic misrepresentations of what is actually going on. It is so grossly inaccurate.

while I understand why people would be very concerned if it were true, it simply isn’t.This has significantly to do with decatted cars used on the street and other mods that bypass or defeat emissions control. It’s not a wholesale reinterpretation of the clean air act to go after the mod market as a whole. Not at all.

It takes a little research into what is actually going on, and many auto enthusiasts may disagree just the same, but most of what in those videos is nonsense,
misrepresentations, and lies.

OP
OP
AustinGRSupra

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
These are hyperbolic misrepresentations of what is actually going on. It is so grossly inaccurate.

while I understand why people would be very concerned if it were true, it simply isn’t.This has significantly to do with decatted cars used on the street and other mods that bypass or defeat emissions control. It’s not a wholesale reinterpretation of the clean air act to go after the mod market as a whole. Not at all.

It takes a little research into what is actually going on, and many auto enthusiasts may disagree just the same, but most of what in those videos is nonsense,
misrepresentations, and lies.
I get what you’re saying, but it is stated too extremely.

It is worth bearing in mind that strong anti-tampering provisions have allowed EPA to target the manufacture, sale, and installation of parts intended to “bypass, defeat, or render inoperative” emissions controls, aka “defeat devices.” However, the RPM Act is designed to neuter this capability. It makes sense to me (and others) to support the RPM Act and urge our elected officials to do the same. It’s a question of “reach” I’d prefer not to grant the EPA at the same time that I, as I’m sure many here, support the Clean Air Act more generally.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
To all who voted for Potato Joe....hope you are happy :mad:.
I am happy. Trumplestiltskin only cared about himself and his 1% buddies. His inability to act killed hundreds of thousands of Americans unnecessarily, and let's not forget his act of treason by sending a mob to overthrow our government and democracy and then try to illegally overturn the election.

P.S. how did the Hydroxychloroquine taste?

OP
OP
AustinGRSupra

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I am happy. Trumplestiltskin only cared about himself and his 1% buddies. His inability to act killed hundreds of thousands of Americans unnecessarily, and let's not forget his act of treason by sending a mob to overthrow our government and democracy and then try to illegally overturn the election.

P.S. how did the Hydroxychloroquine taste?
Let’s not turn this into Potato Joe versus Trumplestiltskin. Both are brain-addled septuagenarians who shouldn’t be allowed near the highest office in the land. I doubt either knows the difference between a charge pipe and a down pipe.

The question is whether we want to stand up for modding and the industries it supports and the people whose livelihoods and passion it is or ultimately be happy Zombies in our Google self-driving cars (Not to overstate anything:drive:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
AustinGRSupra

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
And this all goes back many years: see, for example:

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/09/epa-illegal-modify-car-racing-sema-official/

Maybe now is the time to keep some pressure on so that the entire US doesn’t become this:

“This product is not currently CARB exempt and is not available for purchase in California or for use on any vehicle registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles.”

That product was an Injen charge pipe I just bought and shipped to Tejas.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I get what you’re saying, but it is stated too extremely.

It is worth bearing in mind that strong anti-tampering provisions have allowed EPA to target the manufacture, sale, and installation of parts intended

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/09/epa-illegal-modify-car-racing-sema-official/

Maybe now is the time to keep some pressure on so that the entire US doesn’t become this:

“This product is not currently CARB exempt and is not available for purchase in California or for use on any vehicle registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles.”

I suspect EPA has no interest in your charge pipe as it wouldn’t (I don’t imagine) increase your emissions. And they put out a statement to that effect. What California chooses to do is their business, but that is a state issue.

OP
OP
AustinGRSupra

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I suspect EPA has no interest in your charge pipe as it wouldn’t (I don’t imagine) increase your emissions. And they put out a statement to that effect. What California chooses to do is their business, but that is a state issue.
Yes, it’s a state issue. The question is one of modeling legislation at the federal level on state regulations. If you would like a sense of how powerful certain state models can be, read the history of the Clean Air Act and its origins in and application to various parts of the automotive world, including the eradication of salvage yards and the aggressive destruction of old cars. The real impetus for programs like cash for clunkers came not from environmental scientists or anyone tasked with improving air quality but from refineries looking to side-step mandates to clean up their own emissions.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes, it’s a state issue. The question is one of modeling legislation at the federal level on state regulations. If you would like a sense of how powerful certain state models can be, read the history of the Clean Air Act and its origins in and application to various parts of the automotive world, including the eradication of salvage yards.
Yep: I’m understand this having conducted air quality research in the past. I’m old enough to remember L.A. smog, which has been greatly reduced because of the clean air act.
Sponsored