Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
When I went and sat in the Z4, I asked if their techs would be able to work in the Supra, if I bring it in. They said they didn't see why not, so i may just end up using a BMW tech for it. Not sure yet.
Sponsored

Red-hat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86, 370Z
If Toyota techs are having difficulty with the boxer engine on a 7 yr old car
Hmm, from what is being reported by affected owners, the problem isnā€™t the engine or age of it as such, it is in cowboy dealers not waiting for the proper instructions, and not using the correct sealant in the correct ratios (with the result of sealant breaking away and gunking up the engine). Basically, dealer incomptence, which can happen on any engine. But yes, it would make one nervous about the Supraā€™s B58 being serviced, or having major recall work done, by the same type of Toyota dealers.

Red-hat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86, 370Z
I loved my 86 but it was easily one of the least reliable cars I have owned however I was a early adopter first batch of FRS in my area
Conversely, my 86 has been the most reliable car Iā€™ve had, but it is a 2015 build, when most of the issues have been worked out.

I wouldn't never buy a first year car again because of it so let's see where the mkV is in a few years
Yeah, probably a good idea. Let the early adopters pay top price, and find all the issues, then get the revised model with most of the issues already remedied. ;)

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
Hmm, from what is being reported by affected owners, the problem isnā€™t the engine or age of it as such, it is in cowboy dealers not waiting for the proper instructions, and not using the correct sealant in the correct ratios (with the result of sealant breaking away and gunking up the engine). Basically, dealer incompetence, which can happen on any engine. But yes, it would make one nervous about the Supraā€™s B58 being serviced, or having major recall work done, by the same type of Toyota dealers.

My point is that the 86 has been out for a while, the techs should have been well up to speed. Stuff is starting to wear and recalls are starting to be issued. The fact that the Toyota techs are not properly trained on a car that is has almost 10 yrs of production is uncalled for. I see what you're saying but Subaru boxer engines are another topic of discussion.

Dealer incompetence can and does happen but coming from a brand like Toyota that is known for quality and reliability, I wouldn't suspect any incompetence. I've read one post asking if it would make more sense to go to Subaru instead which is going to be similar to with the Supra and going to BMW. This is one of the unfortunate drawbacks with shared platform vehicles. Which dealership takes ownership when it comes to service? Whom can you trust? Indy's?

white_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2009 Nissan GTR/2006 Mitsubishi Evo/2020 Toyota Supra (maybe?)
Vehicle Showcase
When I went and sat in the Z4, I asked if their techs would be able to work in the Supra, if I bring it in. They said they didn't see why not, so i may just end up using a BMW tech for it. Not sure yet.
i doubt a BMW will take a Supra in officially for service, unless of course you are talking about a BMW tech doing side jobs.

Mr.Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
soup
I would think that since the Supra and Z4 differ in tuning and setup you might not want too where as the Brz and FRS only had cosmetic differences as well as the brz have softer springs when first released other than that everything on those two cars are the same.

Toyota and BMW keep trying to tell us these are different cars so who knows

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I would think that since the Supra and Z4 differ in tuning and setup you might not want too where as the Brz and FRS only had cosmetic differences as well as the brz have softer springs when first released other than that everything on those two cars are the same.

Toyota and BMW keep trying to tell us these are different cars so who knows
They are different... German law will not allow BMW to sell the Supra as a rebadged Toyota.

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
I just figured it'd be smarter to have techs who know the engine work on it. I think I've been spoiled with the 86, where either can work on the car

Mr.Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
soup
I wish special editions had more going for them than just being release series stuff like they did for scion. No change other tha colour and appearance stuff.

Love this colour tho glad they bringing in here Japan always gets the good stuff

Red-hat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86, 370Z
Hakone looks great, especially the colour and the wheels. But yeah, only yet more minor cosmetic changes. There are two things I really wish my 86 had, more stock power and a liftback for practicality. Hoping the next gen 86 satisfies both, since I suspect the Supra will be priced too high here (Australia, where they still havenā€™t announced official 2019 Supra pricing yet).

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
^^ The reviewer is right. It's still a great car for the class it is actually in. And with so few such new options out there today (manual, RWD, LSD and a chassis and suspension that have been thoroughly thought through) it's on a short list of similar company.

Fingers crossed on the new one having just 50hp more and significantly more torque with the help of Subaru's off the shelf FA24 turbo engine.