"Second generation" Toyota 86 Thread

Discussion in 'General Automotive & Other Vehicle Talk' started by SS09ER, Feb 5, 2018.

1. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Tundra TRD Pro, ST205 GT4, JZA70 TT-R, Q50-RS
    Liked:
    Yep, it sounds like a lack of cohesion, but who knows. It would be awesome to get a turbo 86/BRZ or even a higher powered NA one.

I can confirm 100% that Tada hasn't been working on it and he's set to retire after finishing the Supra project (or so he said beginning of last year).

johnny_10196 and KahnBB6 like this.
  2. KahnBB6

KahnBB6 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    '93 Lexus SC300 5-speed 2JZGTE R154 LSD
    Liked:
    Agreed. A 2nd gen RWD 86/BRZ in any form would be awesome. Further, I hope that a very affordable, well designed RWD 2+2 manual car continues to be available from Toyota in one form or another for as long as possible (just as with the Supra in its current form).

So despite Tada-san having expressed his own interest in a future MR2 and GT-Four he is planning to step back and allow other engineer(s) handle future sports models? What about Masayuki Kai and Moto-san? Will they still be involved in future GR and sports Toyota projects?

3. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Liked:
    Moto is very close to Tada-san due to their collaboration on the 86, and I don't think Tada will step away from Gazoo Racing immediately. I think he mentioned staying on in an advisor role and so forth, which means Moto should be along for the ride, but it won't quite be the same as 2007-2018.

KahnBB6 likes this.
  4. KahnBB6

Car(s):
    Liked:
    ^^ Sounds like no matter what, the GT86 and A90 will be a unique era in Toyota's history. I hope Tada-san does stay on as an advisor... and I hope that his example has inspired other engineers on their way up in Toyota to reach high to create fun driver cars as he has.

If he's not going to directly work on any of the other "brother" sportscars going forward or any other limited special performance trims of existing models then I hope he does/has mentored people along the way. I am sure he has honestly... market forces and top brass decisions above aside that is how it works in every industry.

News from late yesterday. It may be a confirmation of what we've already heard but it does sound like both Subaru and Toyota referred directly to the BRZ *and* GT86 continuing to gen2:

https://leftlanenews.com/toyota/toyota-subaru-confirm-next-gen-gtbrz-in-the-works/

tfoxyr, MLG Tofu Shop and A70TTR like this.
  5. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Liked:
    yeah, that's just parroting the same stuff from the original article.

Heres the thing though, Best Car in Japan is generally very accurate and they get their info from insiders at home base, so while these denials do hold weight so does the former IMO.

tfoxyr and KahnBB6 like this.
  6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kirk
    Car(s):
    ?
    Liked:
    https://www.goauto.com.au/future-mo...ota-86-confirmed-for-oz/2019-02-05/77401.html

Bryster likes this.
  7. supraboi

supraboi Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Vu
    Car(s):
    GS300
    Liked:
  8. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Liked:
    Lol, they've seen it? :coffee:

9. vb22

vb22 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    SC300
    Liked:
    @A70TTR, have you or anyone you know seen this 86 replacement?

10. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Liked:
    No, which is why I find this curious. I mean, there is compartmentalization on every project, but I dunno.

In any case, it's a good thing if true.

11. KahnBB6

Car(s):
    Liked:
    If they ditch the Torsen LSD (Toyota owns the company that produces it and all patents so it's a no-brainer to include one) or manual it's not going to win people over the way the current one did.

Besides, both Bosch and GM have in the last couple of years filed patents for methods to semi-automate some functions of traditional three-pedal manuals (Bosch's relates just to auto-de-clutching and reengaging and GM's seems to do more) in situations where that might be needed while still allowing the driver to use the three-pedal manual interface.

And we know it's possible to make manual hybrids especially as Honda has proven since 1998 or so. The CR-Z 6-speed manual wasn't a great car by any stretch of the imagination but it did prove that a traditional manual works in a performance hybrid configuration.

A brake-assist torque vectoring diff in an 86 would be awful. An electronic torque vectoring diff with an LSD would be too expensive for a car in the 86's price bracket. The Torsen should be the easiest way to give the customer reliable limited slip function. Plus... mechanical is a selling point.

However I will not be surprised if the 86 becomes a hybrid in the second generation. Maybe they can do another pure gas engine for gen 2 but maybe not for another 8-10 year full production run. Maybe only for half that number of model years before a hybrid just becomes necessary.

But I can see a hybrid-electric over a turbo being likely for this reason. I'd love to see a little turbo personally but given the price bracket and need to build for upcoming tighter emissions and fuel economy standards alike it might be necessary. As a bonus they'd also gain a very easy way into torque boost with an electric motor.

I also was eyeing the HV Sports Concept with this speculation in mind.

But even if they want to pursue the odd maybe-sort-of-a-manual transmission that the HV concept had it still remains possible to continue to offer a proper manual trans even with a hybrid electric powerplant. Cost might be the only deciding factor since it still can't be all that more expensive than it is now.

12. Bryster

Bryster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Car(s):
    Nothing,considering a Civic DX
    Liked:
    I think that Toyota will make it a statement that the Supra IS their last pure petrol car

KahnBB6 likes this.
  13. KahnBB6

Car(s):
    Liked:
    I think you're right. Tada-san did allude to this regarding the Supra A90 and even it technically can accommodate a hybrid system if they eventually need it to during the model run (I think this has something to do with the design of the ZF 8HP transmission allowing room for a pancake electric motor?).

Bryster likes this.
  14. Bryster

Bryster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Car(s):
    Nothing,considering a Civic DX
    Liked:
    They could slap on some Electric motors on the 86 to appease the Moar power folk

15. tfoxyr

tfoxyr Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    suzuki swift sport
    Liked:
    my guess is that the price will go slightly up , the engine will be something downsized (maybe a 3 cylinder turbo) with some electric assistance(new suzuki swifts have some kind of mild hybrid setup). I just hope that it will stay 2+2 and generally won't change much outside of the engine department.