Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
That looks so much better than BRZ.
For me the 86 series ranks in looks:

#1 — Scion FR-S front bumper
#2 — 1st gen Subaru BRZ front bumper
#3 — 1st gen Toyota GT86 front bumper (needs to be replaced with an FR-S bumper)

In the 2nd gen series, hands down this leaked GR86 front bumper looks much better than the 2nd gen BRZ front bumper.
Sponsored

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
The interior styling seems to be taking some cues from the GR Supra's BMW interior. The one that popped out the most is the center console cup holders and that area. I wonder if they are going to try to "upscale" the GR car's interior to follow the same design cues.

Regardless of that, Toyota is moving towards the right direction in my opinion. Even though their sports cars are not Toyota built like 90's, they are doing the smart thing by partnering up with other automakers to create sports cars. Most people know that sports cars do not make money for manufacturers. There are exceptions of course like Mazda and their Miata but reducing the cost of RnD and manufacturing helps mitigate the overall loss the brand will take.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
Imo better to get shared development sports car than none. Sports car market is shrinking so probably that will be the future of this type of cars, except brands like Ferrari.

On the side note: any1 could photoshop this render into different colors? Like red or yellow, or at least blue from BRZ :)

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Imo better to get shared development sports car than none. Sports car market is shrinking so probably that will be the future of this type of cars, except brands like Ferrari.

On the side note: any1 could photoshop this render into different colors? Like red or yellow, or at least blue from BRZ :)
That Mike dude would probably do it if he were still here

Travelingsoldier

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 2.5RS, 2003 WRX, 2005 STI, 2012 WRX, 2017 Hobie Tandem Island
I’m not going to lie, I wanted to buy a 22 BRZ. It’s still in the back of my head. I’m still think maybe the the twins will be more enjoyable to drive then the Supra. #savethemanual

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
I’m not going to lie, I wanted to buy a 22 BRZ. It’s still in the back of my head. I’m still think maybe the the twins will be more enjoyable to drive then the Supra. #savethemanual
For me they will because they offer different kind of driving experience, more raw, engaging, visceral, lighter. The low quality interior, a lot of noise, quite hard clutch, manual all contribute to that.
So while Supra is way faster, it is fun to drive in a different way, more speed and grip approach. Problem with Supra is the same as with other modern sports cars - its muted and devoted of oldschool mechanical feel. New cars are faster, grippier, more efficient + they give nice luxury features for daily and are good on race track. They want to be everything at once, but that is how the marked shaped them to be. That is the strenght of 200hp raw cars like 86, its 90's sports car build in 2020. The sensation of speed is just different. Also, you have to work for it, keep the pace through turns. If you fuk up in a Supra, you just press the gas and it goes coz of milion nm's. Imo 86 demands more from you to drive it fast, while Supra gives you more with much less effort put it. But I like that effort in 86. Supra is fast and easy, 86 is can-be-fast if you drive it hard enough with good skills.

I really enjoy the Supra, more on the track even than on the road (even tho its a great daily car), its fun to drive, sounds great, brakes are great, 6cyl is smooooooth and car has a lot of feel for modern sports car. Also its a great platform to mod, a "perfect" wheelbase with strong aftermarket support, its better base than 86, its way more cappable as a track car if modded right. I have my small complaints here and there but they are pretty easy to adress. Also Supra got killer looks in person.
But still, it cant match the raw feeling of manual 86 and that is by design.
Anyway those 2 are imo the best sports cars on the market atm (for my taste and expectations), not including mid-engined 718GTS 4.0 and GT4.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
article from bestcar with crappy google translation

https://bestcarweb.jp/news/260678

■ Toyota 86 will be delayed in release next year in order to differentiate it from BRZ
● Toyota 86

Subaru's new BRZ, which is already a brother car, was unveiled in North America in November last year, but what is worrisome is the new 86, which is the Toyota version.

Like the new BRZ, the exterior design follows the short deck style with a low bonnet hood and adopts a duck tail style at the rear, making it a royal style of a 2-door coupe that emphasizes glamorousness.

Of course, the shape of the front bumper and rear combination lamp will be different from the BRZ to differentiate it.

The body size is the same as the new BRZ, total length 4265 x total width 1775 x total height 1310 mm, wheelbase 2575 mm.

As with the first generation, the transmission has 6-speed MT and 6-speed AT, and the suspension has struts on the front and double wishbones on the rear, following the first generation.

The power train will be changed from the first FA20 type 2L horizontally opposed 4-cylinder DOHC (207ps / 21.6kgm in the late model MT car) to the FA24 type 2.4L horizontally opposed DOHC (231ps / 25.4kgm) as well as the new BRZ. ..

Initially, the 86 was scheduled to undergo a full model change this year, just like the BRZ, but here comes the information that interests me.

That's because President Akio Toyoda issued a big command to the new 86 development team, saying, "Aim to differentiate performance from the BRZ." In response to this, it is almost certain that the new 86 will be released next year.

Since it will be jointly developed by Toyota and Subaru this time, the new 86 and BRZ will be streamed on the same line. However, it is said that the development team is struggling against the unexpected "difficult problem" imposed by President Akio.

Specifically, the new 86 has one option to improve the feeling of acceleration by changing the gearing with the BRZ, and in some cases to change the engine tuning, and the BRZ immediately after riding. The goal is to finish it so that you can see the difference.

Even if it takes time to debut, I'd like to expect and wait.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
^^ I appreciate Akio Toyoda's mandate to the engineering team. At the same time I understand what they are up against. ECU tuning, changing the rear differential gearing (from existing parts bin options that enthusiasts already use now almost certainly), wheel diameter, tire selection, suspension and swaybar tuning are pretty much all that can be done unless a factory turbo engine or entirely different engine and transmission are used... and those latter things are not in the cards.

In current specification I'd be happy with a regular 228hp 6MT model and the options of a reasonably priced Brembo brake package, the option of Bilstein shocks and NO ugly looking TRD body kit.