Toyota Presents World Debut of the New 2022 GR 86

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Another poorly translated article from Bestcar.

The next model will be debuting next year! 86/BRZ Why unusual sales end?

What is the future of the 86/BRZ, which is now a rare domestic sports car, born of the collaboration between Toyota and Subaru?

In 2012, the two-door coupe sports Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ, which were launched in the winter of sports cars, entered the eighth year of their appearance. BRZ finished accepting orders for the current model in July while the attention was paid to the trends of the next model.

And, as it has been reported in 86, since the start of this month, it has been revealed through interviews that the current model has been virtually discontinued.

It is clearly stated that the 86 and BRZ are developing the next model, and it is extremely rare that there is no announcement about the next model despite the end of sales of the current model.

Why did it happen? And what about the next model of interest? Mitsuhiro Kunizawa explains.

Information on the next model that will be complicated with the current model
Information on the next-generation 86/BRZ is intricate. To begin with, the baton touch between conventional and new models will be seamless (seamless) if normal.

While selling the conventional type, the order will be suspended while taking into consideration the information flow of the next type, production volume, orders, inventory, etc., and new orders will start.

However, regarding 86/BRZ, there is no mysterious information about the new model.

As you know, the outline of new cars, which have been talked about a lot, can be understood at least half a year ago. Of course, although strict confidentiality is maintained, the actual vehicle will be put out of the development department for advertising including sales promotion activities.

For the first generation 86/BRZ, information began to flow about a year before the announcement, and it was revealed to the specs about half a year before the release.

On the other hand, speaking of the next-generation 86/BRZ, the only thing that has become clear at the moment is that "they are under intensive development for commercial production". Even the engine installed is divided into the turbo theory and the NA theory.

What is the background behind the delay in the development of the new 86/BRZ?
Why did this happen? It seems there are two reasons when I look it up.

First of all, the start of development was delayed. Normally, we decide the outline of the next model about 4 years before the release. However, at that time Toyota was having trouble with the Supra, which was co-developed with BMW, and could not afford to seriously consider the 86/BRZ.

If I recall Toyota and Subaru at the time, I think that I didn't want to rush a full model change for the 86 & BRZ.

In addition, neither Toyota nor Subaru felt the same motivation as when they made the first 86 & BRZ. My impression at the time was that even the next-generation development plan was doubtful.

On the other hand, it seems that the market expectation of the next 86 & BRZ was unexpectedly loud. For Akio Toyoda, it may have been a difficult choice for the president, as it was a model that was put into production. I think that the start of development was delayed because of this.

Fuel consumption and noise regulations behind the current BRZ end-of-sale
On the other hand, there is no waiting for regulation of fuel consumption and noise. Subaru is particularly difficult.

The company average fuel efficiency called CAFE starting from 2020 and the average of all models sold must be 20.3 km/L or more in JC08 mode conversion.

The 13.4km/L of 86/BRZ pushes down the average fuel efficiency. Sales cannot be continued from the perspective of environmental issues.

So, the strategy was to discontinue the 86 & BRZ and switch to a new model with improved fuel efficiency. Naturally, the next-generation 86 & BRZ will aim to improve fuel efficiency significantly compared to the current model.

Where you want about 16km/L in JC08 mode conversion. Fortunately, the current 86/BRZ does not have an idle stop, so there is room for improvement.

Is the rumored 2.4L turbo difficult? New 86/BRZ debuts next year
Considering the above backbone, I think that the appearance of the next-generation 86 & BRZ can be seen.

In other words, 1) We want to keep development costs as low as possible by placing importance on survival over sales. 2) It is said that Akio Toyoda will fail if performance is not improved.

It is a difficult issue that is not a trade-off but a trade-off that must improve performance and fuel efficiency without spending money.

In total, if it is based on Subaru's new platform or Toyota's TNGA, there will be less commonality and the development and production costs will increase significantly.

The platform we are currently using is not bad as a feature, so we will introduce new technologies to maximize the balance between performance and cost. Therefore, I don't think the wheelbase will change.

Although it is an engine, considering the fuel efficiency and performance, the 260 horsepower 2400cc turbo installed in the rumored American outback is tough. However, the performance and fuel efficiency cannot be improved with the 2000cc currently installed.

There is great potential for a new generation such as the 2400cc direct injection without the turbo and the 1800cc direct injection turbo for the new Levorg. In any case, there is no doubt that a new model with better performance and fuel efficiency will debut by 2021.

However, unlike the current model that can compete in the 2000cc class, there is no class that can be used in motor sports in terms of displacement. "Hana" like the current model popular as a fighting group may fade. There is a high possibility that the current 86 & BRZ, out of print popular car.
Sponsored

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
I don't have a problem with the car at the moment. I like how my 86 drives but the internet loves to complain,

If the chassis is stronger for handling purposes and they got rid of the torque dip, it's going to be fun stepping in and driving around, but will still have to battle the cheap ponies car.
My 86 atm is 222hp/240nm with shorter gearing. 5.8 0-60, as fast as S2000. Still I think it lacks low and mid range, its alive just after 5500rpm. I want more mid range in this car, esp nm.
But imagine this 2.4 tunned to 250hp/270nm N/A, in a 1250kg package with mechanical LSD.... That idea makes me wanna wait and re-consider Supra ;)

hanswurst24

First Name
Hendrik
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Supra 3.0

Viselord

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru BRZ
Trying to find pictures from this event. Anyone else have any luck?

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
After 400z disappointment with not-for-eu... tell me this one is comming to Europe. Pls, any1? :eek: @Guff ? :D

Looks cool from the side.
Sponsored

Last edited: