Service intervals for GR Supra with B58

halfmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lexus rx350
Maybe A70TTR, you might have some insight on this but what are your thoughts on the service intervals for this B58 engine in the GR Supra? BMW drivetrains are now basically set up to be serviced and maintained as little as possible especially since they know that most owners don't keep their cars past about 50k. Toyotas on the other hand are generally kept for a long time so I'm wondering if Toyota will adopt the traditional BMW service intervals or will it use traditional Toyota intervals or maybe hybrid of the two?

So for example, BMW doesn't do ANY maintenance on their transmissions. The fluids are "lifetime" fluids. When I had my E90 and asked about doing a tranny flush, I was told that it "wasn't necessary because BMW uses lifetime transmission fluids." I asked what if I want to pay for a transmission flush and the service advisor told me that honestly they couldn't do it because the fluids are "lifetime" and so nobody does transmission flushes regularly so nobody would know how to do it. Do you think Toyota will go this route or do you think they'll actually do regular service and maintenance on the transmission?

Also, BMW uses condition based services not mileage like Toyota for everything else like oil changes, spark plugs, etc. I assume the B58 in the Supra will have an electronic "dipstick." Do you think it will also "tell" you when it needs service based on your driving habits or do you think it'll follow traditional Toyota service intervals based on 5k or 10k mileage service intervals?
Sponsored

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
I have emailed ZF for one of my cars equipped with a ZF 6HP19, and a ZF engineer has replied stating that, its indeed a "lifetime" oil; for normal city/highway driving use.

For any kind of sports (track, drift, autox, drag) or towing, the oil must be changed every 100,000KMs/60,000Miles.

i don't think this would change for the 8HP51

Trex2488

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 3 Series F30
Just a heads up the ZF transmission shouldn't be flushed, but drained and filled with new fluid. There's a special compound in the gear box for this transmission that can't be replaced if it's forced out by flushing the system. This is why it's typically called a "lifetime fluid".

Overall I agree if you drain and fill it between 60k-100kmi you'll be fine. These transmissions are one of the best out there right now,

Don't forget your rear differential, and double check the plug intervals it ranges from 30/45/60k depending on the car/tune.
Sponsored