Sponsored

Should I buy a Tacoma?

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport,16 Mustang GT Conv,14 HD SG.
Last year I had a similar dilemma.I don't Off Road, I just want a mid-size truck..don't want a Honda.I had driven several 23 Canyon/Colorado's. I shuttle vehicles around for dealers. I had a 22 Taco Sport and the twins were so much better highway drivers. So Jan 2023 I ordered a 23 Z-71 loaded..$58k CAD. During the waiting for it to come in GMs production and shipping got all mess up...a bunch of trucks got hail damage...software glitches..tech issues...and the 2024 Taco preview happened in May. I got cold feet on the Z-71 and told my dealer some one else could have it. I was there they day it arrived last June and had non-buyers remorse...lol.
Last Sept I put my name on a 24 Taco Sport +...My thinking is..if I don't like the Taco..I can hopefully get most of my money back in a year or so, and I'll buy a Z-71 or AT4...ignore the poorer resale and reliability. Last Thursday I took delivery of my 24 Sport. My thoughts are now...the GM twins have a very slight edge on the highway, mostly due to the extra power of the 2.7 turbo,and they are a smoother ride on rough potholed roads,my 24 sport is much firmer than my 22 sport was.
With all that being said...I'm very happy with my new 2024 Tacoma..
Sponsored

Reactions: MJE

Chileburger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 BMW 2002, 1971 BMW 2800cs, 2001, 2024 Taco!
Looking at the long term ownership prospective and the trade aspect, yes it costs more to become an owner of a Tacoma vs most other comparable trucks; but here is where you get it back. Used car values are not set by dealers or banks, they are set by the consumer. The consumers dictate used car values based on what they are willing to pay. People will pay more for a used Tacoma by a long shot compared to other trucks. Go on to cars.com and do a quick comparison. Consumers go by brand/model reputation and by reviews. So when it comes time to get into another truck what will the Canyon be worth compared to the Tacoma? Tacomas hold their value incredibly well. Next is cost of ownership. I own a repair shop in California and recently bought a 2024 Tacoma. We live in an area that offers a lot of off roading and rugged terrain. Of all the pickups we service, the Toyotas are by far the best built/designed and usually have a lower cost of maintenance. Especially the 4 cylinders.

So in the end, you can almost negate the cost of ownership against the Canyon. I’d go with the one you enjoy driving the most and the one that is least likely to let you down when you’re out in the middle of a trail.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Toyota Fan boy here! No, the Tacoma is not worth 10k more IMO. Unless it can do something the Canyon cannot do that is in your top three criteria. I just do not see the Tacoma overcoming a 10K difference even when your factor in 5 year resale values. Tacoma prices will have to come down. They are charging way too much for their trucks and options. Once they see the sales numbers in about 6 months they will realize it, IMO. Right now people like me who are early adopters are paying it but that is not everyone!

But that antenna on the Chevys & Fords What the heck?? Is this 2010?
Sponsored

Last edited: