Should I buy a used Supra?

Supermonkey74

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I attempted to search the topics but I didn't see anything around buying a used Supra and what someone should look for while inspecting the car.

A local dealer who has been looking out for an MT Supra for me, emailed me yesterday stating that they took in a Supra with about 3k miles on it. They are still getting me the details on the car. I imagine once they do they I will have limited time to make a decision on it.

I have a few concerns with buying a used car that mainly center around how the car was treated by the prior owner. I can't confirm that they broke it in correctly or didn't cause some sort of damage while driving.

But I am chomping at the bit to get a Supra. If the price is right and I don't see anything questionable I just may purchase the car.

I have a 23 MT on order with a few dealers, but recently I've thought that I may get an AT because I sit in traffic on the Dallas highways from time to time.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Look for the same things as you would for any used car. The Supra is no different. Only thing I can think of that would be specific is the possible oil consumption. If it has any service records look for anything pertaining to oil other than a simple change. But keep in mind the vast majority don’t have the consumption problem. Forums tend to make things sound like when one car has it they all have it. Also, if there are records, look for the brake recall to have been performed. I didn’t see what year the car is that you’re talking about so the consumption and recall may not be relevant.

Oh, and shipping spacers in the suspension. At this point it is proven that NOBODY can be trusted with those.

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Tungsten
If you were like me when I was looking, I was impatient and was willing to buy used, but after awhile I couldn't shake the idea of not fulling knowing the history and was lucky to get mine brand new. So if you really really want some peace of mind, just go for a new one.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
@Supermonkey74

If you’re worried about oil consumption, stick with 2020 or 2022+, it seems.

You can look for common BimmerCode features (auto start/stop off, fake engine noise disabled, etc.). Those by themselves are not a red flag, but it will tell you that there may have been more extensive mods (which again, may not necessarily be a red flag).

See if the prior owner had a “break in oil change” around 1,200+ miles. This isn’t required, but it may indicate this person cares more than the average car owner.

Proper break in seems to be a point of debate in the car community. Some send it from day 1 while others go a bit more by the book.

2020 if you want to tune more easily due to the unlocked ECU.

Other than that, check for excessive wear in certain areas - is under the front bumper crazy damaged? Did they kick the crap out of the door and rocker panels getting in and out? Any excessive wear on the interior? Are the rear tires toast at 3k? Most of this is cosmetic, but it gives you an idea of the life it lived prior to you.

I bought my 2020 with 9K miles and two prior owners, but following my own advice above has paid off with a rock solid easily tuneable car.

OP
OP
Supermonkey74

Supermonkey74

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Look for the same things as you would for any used car. The Supra is no different. Only thing I can think of that would be specific is the possible oil consumption. If it has any service records look for anything pertaining to oil other than a simple change. But keep in mind the vast majority don’t have the consumption problem. Forums tend to make things sound like when one car has it they all have it. Also, if there are records, look for the brake recall to have been performed. I didn’t see what year the car is that you’re talking about so the consumption and recall may not be relevant.

Oh, and shipping spacers in the suspension. At this point it is proven that NOBODY can be trusted with those.
Thanks for the information. I just read through some of the posts on the 'Shipping spacers not being removed?' thread. It seems you are right and NOBODY can be trusted. 😲

As for the year, I have not been given that information yet. I will try to swing by the dealer today to see what information I can shake out of them.

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
The whole sitting in traffic and I can't drive a manual argument is ridiculous.

The manual is super easy and the clutch is dumb light.

If you want a stick car, get the stick car and don't settle for less.

OP
OP
Supermonkey74

Supermonkey74

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
@Supermonkey74

If you’re worried about oil consumption, stick with 2020 or 2022+, it seems.

You can look for common BimmerCode features (auto start/stop off, fake engine noise disabled, etc.). Those by themselves are not a red flag, but it will tell you that there may have been more extensive mods (which again, may not necessarily be a red flag).

This same dealer had a 2020 3.0 that I passed on a while back. But that was before I realized the late 2020 + Supra ECU's are locked. Plus I may still wait for a MT..

So far, between you and @J29DB03 I'm getting a lot of good information and I really appreciate it.

SupraEffective

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 2022
Thanks for the information. I just read through some of the posts on the 'Shipping spacers not being removed?' thread. It seems you are right and NOBODY can be trusted. 😲

As for the year, I have not been given that information yet. I will try to swing by the dealer today to see what information I can shake out of them.
I went to at least 7 dealerships before i got mine. Don't fall in love with the first Supra you see. Like everyone has been saying check the Carfax and also check the engine bay well. My red flag is if the engine bay is way cleaner than the inside of the car, pass. I would most defently get a new one instead of a used one. Carfaxs wont tell you if they were doing pulls or poor burnouts. getting a new one will only cost you about 3-5 grand more.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium

Something else came to mind about service records, it’s well known that unfortunately a lot of Toyota service departments really don’t know shit about this car and the “Supra techs” have no interest in it. Not all, but a good amount. If it doesn’t have detailed records I wouldn’t immediately throw up a red flag. For instance, my records would only show inspection/emission and recall simply because I don’t let anybody touch my cars if I can help it. And a CARFAX report is only ever as good as what people tell it. They are not as important as people make them out to be. Can be nice, but may not be entirely truthful.

OP
OP
Supermonkey74

Supermonkey74

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
The whole sitting in traffic and I can't drive a manual argument is ridiculous.

The manual is super easy and the clutch is dumb light.

If you want a stick car, get the stick car and don't settle for less.
Last year in February 22' I was in Scottsdale, AZ and saw a White Supra in a parking lot.. I fell in love and told my wife... "If they make a manual version, I'm in!" She laughed it off and now here we are. Waiting for a 23 MT. I would really like to have an MT - If I don't get one then I can't wear my new shirt.. (Attached)

GYST.jpg

Ryanthetemp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Past: E28 M5, E24 M6, E30 325is
Last year in February 22' I was in Scottsdale, AZ and saw a White Supra in a parking lot.. I fell in love and told my wife... "If they make a manual version, I'm in!" She laughed it off and now here we are. Waiting for a 23 MT. I would really like to have an MT - If I don't get one then I can't wear my new shirt.. (Attached)

GYST.jpg
Amen.

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I got lucky with my '21. I bought it used and it was practically in perfect condition. Previous owner only put 900 miles within 2 years, still had manufacturer stickers, not even a single scratch or swirl anywhere, and after a few months of use I found out my 21' was unlocked
Sponsored