Should I buy it?

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by eyeye96, Oct 9, 2019.

1. eyeye96

eyeye96 Member

First Name:
    Sai
    Car(s):
    accord
    Liked:
    So, I have been following this forum and the reviews and the press releases for a long time now and have also figured out which dealer to get from and all the details. But should I do it? I see people posing all the aftermarket stuff they buy and tuning the ECU and taking it to a track and burning some tires. Frankly, I have never taken a car on track. I love tracks and do a lot of weekend go-karting but never even have taken a car to a track. I don't know how expensive it is and knowing me, I would not spend money to drive a car on a track unless it is very cheap. I love driving and consider myself to be a driving enthusiast and I work in the automobile industry as well. But I don't really plan to take the car onto a track. I don't have the money to do that stuff. I am able to afford the car because I will be financing to buy one and the monthly payments should be fine for me, though it would have been way cheaper to just buy a civic. So my question, if I just daily my supra, and just take out the car to drive on winding roads on weekends, should I buy it? Or is it a car which is only for people who take it on track and burn rubber and can afford to pay for the track and the extra tires and other aftermarket mods?

2. trakday

trakday Active Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    2011 E92 M3 GTS, 1997 E36 M3 race car, 2020 GR SUPRA, 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500
    Liked:
    Certified Health Coach, Driving Instructor
    Home Page:
    Do whatever makes you happy and obviously what you can afford. Budget wisely sir. I am a Certified Driving instructor and I bought my Supra to Daily drive and to take the trackdays when I don't feel like hauling my truck/Trailer with race car. LOVE MY SUPRA on the track! its good!

To track your car - $300-400 daily fee from most of the organizations out there
    Consumables - Gas/Brake pads/Brake Fluid/Tires, Brake Rotors - $150-600 a day (Depending your skillset)

Mk5nut, XtremeMaC and EastCoastSupra like this.
  3. XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2013 GT86, 2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Mechanical Engineer
    You don't have to be taking it to the track to enjoy it. You can do shenanigans elsewhere within the bounds of the law. But it you want to test the limits, save up go to a track once a while. If not at least try autocross. My Frs/86 is super agile and fun, haven't tried the Supra. But i don't see why it wouldn't be fun. Those are cheap but quick time trial type individual races.
    But obviously, really depends on how much you like the car. If you want to just drive fast there are tons of cheaper used options. Heck 86 + super/turbo will get you the speed

Jabba likes this.
  4. tisdrew

tisdrew Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    BMW 335i, Kouki s14
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I would probably not track a nice new car that's under warranty and in my position, financed. I would get some spec miata or e30 that's "slow" and beat to shit already.

A70TTR likes this.
  5. CJ-

CJ- Well-Known Member

First Name:
    CJ
    Car(s):
    2020 Absolute Zero Supra LE
    Liked:
    Mine won’t be going to the track. I’ll drive it on nice days and that’s about it.

6. GOR

GOR New Member

First Name:
    Graeme
    Car(s):
    Supra V 2020
    Liked:
    I bought mine as a daily driver having had an 86 before. I am not a track person (yet...) but this car is just amazing to drive around. I am absolutely loving it - so easy to drive, well behaved, and with so much power on tap. I do plan on doing a track day some time in the future but that wasn't the reason I got the Supra. Puts a smile on my face every time I fire her up and head out - even if it's just to the shops! And I am finding loads of reasons to go to the shops!!!

Mk5nut, nigaskiga and eyeye96 like this.
  7. Islindur

Islindur Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    GT86
    Liked:
    MD
    #7 Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    I think it's gr8 daily. Nice comfort, good fun from power and chasis, its silent in higher speeds, exhaust sounds cool. U dont need the track to enjoy it, belive me ;)

Webweasel likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    eyeye96

eyeye96 Member

First Name:
    Sai
    Car(s):
    accord
    Liked:
    Well that is expensive. It would be almost half my monthly payment spent for one day of track Don't really think I would do that even if I end up buying one.

9. OP
    OP
    eyeye96

eyeye96 Member

First Name:
    Sai
    Car(s):
    accord
    Liked:
    Thats the question I keep asking myself, should I just buy a 86 and be done with that or is it worth buying the supra if I am not going to track or racing it in autocross events?

10. OP
    OP
    eyeye96

eyeye96 Member

First Name:
    Sai
    Car(s):
    accord
    Liked:
    Thats great to hear. Its great to hear from someone enjoying a supra who is also a previous 86 owner. if you think the supra is better than the 86 even without going to the track then I guess its worth the buy.

GOR likes this.
  11. DesmoSD

DesmoSD Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
    Liked:
    #11 Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    @eyeye96 Since you're in the Bay Area, there are plenty of nice canyons that will definitely fill the void. Daily driving the MKV will have it's pros and cons. It's a sports car so gas mileage and ergos could be some of the cons.

Also, you have 3 (2 are my favorite) amazing tracks in NorCal; Laguna and Thunderhill. Never say never about a track day but at least try it out there once.

A70TTR likes this.
  12. Islindur

Islindur Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    GT86
    Liked:
    MD
    86 is different type of car. U sit lower, the steering is more lively, u have better visilibty, its louder, harder to get in and out, suspension is much more raw and harsh, everything is more "metalic", pure. Its different car in my opinion. Worse as a daily. I wouldnt turbo 86 tbh.
    I vote yes for Supra as a daily. I'll do it myself in the future, either Supra or new 86, depends how good it will be ;)

Oxytal and A70TTR like this.
  13. Illsic_Design

Illsic_Design Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Car(s):
    E92 335i N54, 4G63T Mighty Max
    Liked:
    Inspector
    Since you're in Northern Cali, there are some less costly HPDE organizers. A track day can be had for $130+ entry through OnGrid at tracks like Thunderhill. Laguna Seca and Sonoma are a little more costly at around $180-200 through OnGrid. Now if you just wanted to do some like Autocross(basically short time trials on a Traffic Cone made track in a parking lot) event then those can be done for much cheaper, I think $50-100.

But no you don't need to take the car on a track to have fun in it IMO.

DesmoSD and A70TTR like this.
  14. kona61

kona61 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    J
    Car(s):
    5G 4Runner, MK7 Golf, AZW LE Supra
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Happily gas mileage is one thing his car does well. I get about 31-32 daily driving. My golf only managed 3-4 better on the same route.

15. Haros

Haros Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Two feet
    Liked:
    I highly recommend, if anything, to spend money on driving lessons if you can budget yourself for it. It doesn’t even have to be in your Supra.

There is some driving knowledge and track etiquette that no game or online forum can teach you.

An proper driving instructor will instil confidence in yourself and through that you will have a better time - even driving moderately on the back roads.

Track days can be fun, but you need to want to go to them. They can be very intimidating so I also recommend you bring a friend or make some.
    Hang out with a local club even. That’s free!

Illsic_Design likes this.