Should I buy?

Hyperlite89

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda civic
I have been looking at a 2020 Supra at a non Toyota dealer. This car has pure turbo, exhaust, charge pipe, catless downpipe , and cold air intake. Comes with a ecutek kit but is missing the obd2 plug. Has a little over 7k miles. Other than that I know very little about the history.

Now to the kicker. The CEL light is on. There aren’t a lot of reputable tuning shops near me but I found one that agreed to look it over. So what do you guys think? I could get for under 50k
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I have been looking at a 2020 Supra at a non Toyota dealer. This car has pure turbo, exhaust, charge pipe, catless downpipe , and cold air intake. Comes with a ecutek kit but is missing the obd2 plug. Has a little over 7k miles. Other than that I know very little about the history.

Now to the kicker. The CEL light is on. There aren’t a lot of reputable tuning shops near me but I found one that agreed to look it over. So what do you guys think? I could get for under 50k
Under 50k? I'd buy that -for sure-.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
The cel light is on due to the catless downpipe. No worries there. Lots of aftermarket goodies for the price. Just check the carfax for added piece of mind. A paint gauge is also useful to assure there’s been no prior bodywork or paintwork.

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
If it has the ecutek kit, this would mean it has been tuned for the parts on it, and the CEL should be off? Therefore, I would think it shouldn't have the CEL on. I'd get it checked out first, 100%. Under 50 is a good price, it also could be a good price for a reason. I'd proceed with caution, just my thoughts.

OP
OP

Hyperlite89

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda civic
If it has the ecutek kit, this would mean it has been tuned for the parts on it, and the CEL should be off? Therefore, I would think it shouldn't have the CEL on. I'd get it checked out first, 100%. Under 50 is a good price, it also could be a good price for a reason. I'd proceed with caution, just my thoughts.
This was where my concern comes in as well. Price is solid and I could likely get it down a bit more because of the light. Just want to make sure I’m not buying a 50k problem when I could get a stock car for a little more

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
Did you get the Carfax report? If you don’t have the complete history of the car, you could be opening a can of worms. A catiess downpipe is illegal in all 50 states.

DaBear723

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Did you get the Carfax report? If you don’t have the complete history of the car, you could be opening a can of worms. A catiess downpipe is illegal in all 50 states.
Catless dp are NOT illegal in all states. In California yes, but a lot of other states are completely legal.

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
Catless dp are NOT illegal in all states. In California yes, but a lot of of other states are completely legal.
It is, actually, since federal law requires catalytic converters on all petrol cars, and it is also against federal law to modify any functioning emissions control device.

Some states let you get away with it with lax or non-existent emissions inspections, but it is absolutely illegal in all 50 states.

edited to add the law -

Under federal law, catalytic converters may not be removed and replaced with "converter replacement pipes' by any person.
The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even prohibit private individuals from installing "converter replacement pipes" on their own vehicles. Anyone who installs such pipes would violate section 203(a)(3)(A) and (B) of the Clean Air Act (Act).

In addition to federal law, forty-five out of the fifty States also have statutes or regulations which prohibit tampering with the pollution control equipment on motor vehicles or driving orsellingsuchvehicles. Thus, vehicle owners who tamper with their own vehicles may be subject to substantial penalties under both federal and State law.

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
This was where my concern comes in as well. Price is solid and I could likely get it down a bit more because of the light. Just want to make sure I’m not buying a 50k problem when I could get a stock car for a little more
I wouldn't. It's modded and dumped after 7k? It's a risk, for sure

DaBear723

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
It is, actually, since federal law requires catalytic converters on all petrol cars, and it is also against federal law to modify any functioning emissions control device.

Some states let you get away with it with lax or non-existent emissions inspections, but it is absolutely illegal in all 50 states.

edited to add the law -

Under federal law, catalytic converters may not be removed and replaced with "converter replacement pipes' by any person.
The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even prohibit private individuals from installing "converter replacement pipes" on their own vehicles. Anyone who installs such pipes would violate section 203(a)(3)(A) and (B) of the Clean Air Act (Act).

In addition to federal law, forty-five out of the fifty States also have statutes or regulations which prohibit tampering with the pollution control equipment on motor vehicles or driving orsellingsuchvehicles. Thus, vehicle owners who tamper with their own vehicles may be subject to substantial penalties under both federal and State law.
I stand corrected. In states like mine, we do not require emissions testing nor is law enforcement ever looking for catless dp.

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
I stand corrected. In states like mine, we do not require emissions testing nor is law enforcement ever looking for catless dp.
Nah, not at all. Right here in South Carolina, there’s no emissions inspection, etc. Feds are starting to crack down on the vendors now, though, which is why companies like Cobb have suddenly changed direction, using GESI cats explicitly CARB approved, etc.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Catless dp are NOT illegal in all states. In California yes, but a lot of other states are completely legal.
Wrong. They're illegal everywhere. Ever heard of the Clean Air Act? Just because you don't have to get tested, doesn't mean it's legal.
Sponsored