Should we wait for the Manual Transmission Supra? Update: Tada-san says no to MT?

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Sti, 2005 Forester XT
After watching a lot of supra videos and toyota engineer interview, i am under the impression if the community is strong enough to request for MT supra, they might be able to make MT version for us.

What is the chance this will happen down the road?

Should we invest money for the AT or should we wait?

COnfused..

Alternatively, i can always trade back in to get the MT in the future but that would depreciate the car value a lot.

Update:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/09/toyota-supra-tada-interview/

Tada also told us what not to expect: There will be no manual transmission, despite an outcry in parts of the enthusiast community over the lack of a row-it-yourself shifter. His advice: "Customers who want a manual should choose the Toyota 86."

Advertisement

Last edited by a moderator:

Turbro

Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra TT 6 Speed, 91 180sx 5 Speed, 15 FoST, 13 FoST
I’m 100% waiting, and if they offer it, I’ll buy one.

Goose

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
If you really want a manual, then wait. I'm no Toyota employee, but I'm 100% positive there will be one offered in under 18 months.

I personally want an auto, but I'm getting older and my knees suck.

XtremeMaC

First Name
MaC
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 GT86 _____2020 Supra
If you really want a manual, then wait. I'm no Toyota employee, but I'm 100% positive there will be one offered in under 18 months.
Despite loving MT, time is right for me to get a new vehicle and hence if all goes well I'm hopefully getting a LE in July.
If, with absolutely no official announcements so far, Toyota goes and releases an MT under 18mo, I'll be extremely furious and will expect backwards compatibility and minimal price changes from AT to MT!!! @Toyota!!
I do hope LE ≠ sucker...!

OP

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Car(s)
Despite loving MT, time is right for me to get a new vehicle and hence if all goes well I'm hopefully getting a LE in July.
If, with absolutely no official announcements so far, Toyota goes and releases an MT under 18mo, I'll be extremely furious and will expect backwards compatibility and minimal price changes from AT to MT!!! @Toyota!!
I do hope LE ≠ sucker...!

Damn...they better come up with MT soon..cos i am about to get my PO this weekend.

HKz

Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
meh, if the auto sells well Toyota could claim that it shows people don't care about having a manual and thus won't bother investing in bringing one to market.....if too many people hold out waiting on a manual and don't bring up initial sales then they'll cry and say the market isn't big enough for them to invest in a manual variant....pretty dumb position to place enthusiasts in for a car that will never even sell close to the amount of Corvettes out there..

OP

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Car(s)
meh, if the auto sells well Toyota could claim that it shows people don't care about having a manual and thus won't bother investing in bringing one to market.....if too many people hold out waiting on a manual and don't bring up initial sales then they'll cry and say the market isn't big enough for them to invest in a manual variant....pretty dumb position to place enthusiasts in for a car that will never even sell close to the amount of Corvettes out there..

hmm..true....

Tallgeese

First Name
Tallgeese
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV when it comes with a third pedal
i am absolutely waiting.

Hopefully not being naive but i do believe that within two years, a manual option will be available.

sdot

Reaction score
Car(s)
Camry
Patience will absolutely pay off. If not in the form of a manual trans, then in the form of a lower price of entry (less ADM, second-hand market, etc.) and having any new-car bugs sorted out in subsequent model years.

BobDigi5060

Reaction score
Car(s)
19' Mustang GT, 13' G37X
If I had the money for one now and a choice of auto or manual was here and now I don't know which I'd choose. The auto will always be faster in acceleration and likely around a course. I've had and driven many manuals and at 32 years of age don't care what others think about what I choose and prefer.

In my case, I want the best performing Supra even if it so happens to be auto!

rwhash

Reaction score
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3
Maybe I'm being optimistic about this - but reading between the lines from all the reviews seem to point to a Manual version down the road. Hopefully t's just a matter of when in the model's lifecycle Toyota will offer the variation.

I'm giving myself up to 3 years to decide - at that point hopefully I can choose between a MT or a used Auto...

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 Toyota Tundra supercharged, 03 Acura cls-6
The MT would be neat. I'm just worried that the mt trans wont hold the power the auto does if you mod the car. Look at the gt Mustangs. Anybody have any info on the mt in the z4. Who makes it?

mas921

Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
am 100% waiting here! hear that toyota?!! :p

Advertisement

Advertisement