Should we wait for the Manual Transmission Supra? Update: Tada-san says no to MT?

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by tedan628, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Oxytal

Oxytal Member

Car(s):
    MR2 SW20
    Liked:
    It's not unreasonable in a partnership like BMW-Toyota that one aspect such as transmission options affect both cars. If Toyota doesn't like the 6MT BMW offers, that means the Z4 doesn't get one either.

A new 6MT is most likely going to come from a partnership since they're pulling from BMW supply lines and so it's also reasonable to assume that if the i6 Supra gets a 6MT, so does Z4. Toyota isn't reasonably going to make the manual themselves since that's going to disrupt production lines.

Jabba likes this.
  2. ynguldyn

ynguldyn Active Member

Car(s):
    A better one
    Liked:
    OK you can all keep your delusions if they make you warm and happy but here is a simple fact: BMW does not and will not make manual transmissions for B58TÜ engines. And you can be sure that this is not because Toyota didn't want them for Supras because those are just a tiny blip on the radar compared to all BMW models with the same engine.

hanswurst24 likes this.
  3. justbake

justbake Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    F10 535i, E30 325e
    Liked:
    Thats a cool fun fact.

I have one for you, it doesn't matter. As long as the transmission can get into their supply chain, like ZF transmissions, it can be installed in the car at magna steyr

KahnBB6 and F1 Silver Arrows like this.
  4. sedanlova

sedanlova Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Mk4 twins
    Liked:
    I guess we will know if Toyota has the power and willingness to do whatever they want with their Zupra if they install a manual transmission and BMW doesn't.

5. ynguldyn

ynguldyn Active Member

Car(s):
    A better one
    Liked:
    This is not how it works.
    I'd love to see it happen. My wife is a hard no on the Supra right now specifically because it doesn't have the manual option while otherwise it'd be a perfect car for her needs.

But it won't.

hanswurst24 and sedanlova like this.
  6. justbake

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    F10 535i, E30 325e
    Liked:
    This is how Magna Steyr works and operates and how they are able to manufacturer cars to the standards of specific companies.

KahnBB6 and Turbro like this.
  7. s219

s219 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Doc
    Car(s):
    BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Honda S2000
    Liked:
    I agree that just having a transmission delivered to Magna Steyr is not enough to get it into production. There is a whole lot of engineering, certification, etc that has to happen before that point. Magna Steyr are manufacturing experts, but they just put stuff together, and they rely on the manufacturer's design engineers to work out the details. In addition, for powertrain stuff, they are most likely getting pre-built engine+transmission combos from BMW ahead of time.

I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota though BMW's manuals weren't up to Toyota standards -- they are not world class manuals or remarkable in any way, but if I had the choice of a BMW manual from the M2/M3/M4 in my Supra versus no manual at all, it would be easy, I'd take the BMW manual and I bet it would rock in the Supra. Nobody who tests a car like the M2 Competition ever complains about that manual, they're too busy having a good time and smiling. Combine that with the fact that, while Toyota might be picky about manual transmissions, their lack of a serious sports car with *any* transmission has left a gaping hole in their lineup for nearly 2 decades. They don't need to be picky about something like that.

KahnBB6 and jm6k like this.
  8. HKz

HKz Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    FRS
    Liked:
    what is so difficult about using the M240i's MT in the Supra....I don't care if it doesn't have great shifting feel and a vague clutch, still trillion times better than any autobox

KahnBB6, jm6k, justbake and 1 other person like this.
  9. ynguldyn

ynguldyn Active Member

Car(s):
    A better one
    Liked:
    Exactly. To the standards of specific companies. Which means you're back to what BMW does or doesn't offer.

hanswurst24 likes this.
  10. justbake

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    F10 535i, E30 325e
    Liked:
    I think you’re confused, not everything at Magna Steyr is strictly BMW.

Bryster and F1 Silver Arrows like this.
  11. sedanlova

sedanlova Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Mk4 twins
    Liked:
    I think ynguldyn is trying to hint that Toyota does not have the power of decision on their Zupra...please correct me if I wrong.
    Either BMW or Toyota are feeding us BS. In a year from now, we will have our answer.

hanswurst24 likes this.
  12. F1 Silver Arrows

F1 Silver Arrows Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
    Liked:
    Excuse me? Don't waltz your ass into this forum and not expect to get your ass set on fire after accusing us of being delusional. What I said was fact. Want to troll? Go troll somewhere else.

Saeedali78 and Turbro like this.
  13. supraboi

supraboi Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Vu
    Car(s):
    GS300
    Liked:
  14. Turbro

Turbro Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    94 Supra TT 6 Speed, 91 180sx 5 Speed, 15 FoST, 13 FoST
    Liked:
    He’s trolled Multiple threads with no facts stating everyone’s wrong and then fights about it. I gave up listening to him

15. ynguldyn

ynguldyn Active Member

Car(s):
    A better one
    Liked:
    Of course it does. Toyota decided how the car should look. The overall interior design (as long as you ignore the obvious sourcing of buttons and switches) is also Toyota. The instrument panel is Supra-specific. And Toyota even had some control over the car's mechanics because suspension tuning is trivial and has to be done for each new model anyway.

Everything else is BMW.
    The car's basic layout and mechanical parts were designed by BMW together with Z4.
    It was tested in Germany alongside Z4.
    It has a BMW built engine and a transmission built by ZF for BMW.
    It uses the previous generation BMW iDrive for infotainment.
    Every single part has the BMW logo stamped on it and a part number in BMW parts database.
    To troubleshoot its issues, you need BMW software.
    The VINs assigned to the cars come out of BMW VIN pool.
    Magna-Steyr is a BMW contractor.

And I'm a BMW troll.

hanswurst24 likes this.