👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Sti, 2005 Forester XT
Despite loving MT, time is right for me to get a new vehicle and hence if all goes well I'm hopefully getting a LE in July.
If, with absolutely no official announcements so far, Toyota goes and releases an MT under 18mo, I'll be extremely furious and will expect backwards compatibility and minimal price changes from AT to MT!!! @Toyota!!
I do hope LE ≠ sucker...!

Damn...they better come up with MT soon..cos i am about to get my PO this weekend.
Sponsored

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
meh, if the auto sells well Toyota could claim that it shows people don't care about having a manual and thus won't bother investing in bringing one to market.....if too many people hold out waiting on a manual and don't bring up initial sales then they'll cry and say the market isn't big enough for them to invest in a manual variant....pretty dumb position to place enthusiasts in for a car that will never even sell close to the amount of Corvettes out there..

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Sti, 2005 Forester XT
meh, if the auto sells well Toyota could claim that it shows people don't care about having a manual and thus won't bother investing in bringing one to market.....if too many people hold out waiting on a manual and don't bring up initial sales then they'll cry and say the market isn't big enough for them to invest in a manual variant....pretty dumb position to place enthusiasts in for a car that will never even sell close to the amount of Corvettes out there..

hmm..true....

Tallgeese

First Name
Tallgeese
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV when it comes with a third pedal
i am absolutely waiting.

Hopefully not being naive but i do believe that within two years, a manual option will be available.

sdot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Camry
Patience will absolutely pay off. If not in the form of a manual trans, then in the form of a lower price of entry (less ADM, second-hand market, etc.) and having any new-car bugs sorted out in subsequent model years.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
19' Mustang GT, 13' G37X
If I had the money for one now and a choice of auto or manual was here and now I don't know which I'd choose. The auto will always be faster in acceleration and likely around a course. I've had and driven many manuals and at 32 years of age don't care what others think about what I choose and prefer.

In my case, I want the best performing Supra even if it so happens to be auto!

rwhash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3
Maybe I'm being optimistic about this - but reading between the lines from all the reviews seem to point to a Manual version down the road. Hopefully t's just a matter of when in the model's lifecycle Toyota will offer the variation.

I'm giving myself up to 3 years to decide - at that point hopefully I can choose between a MT or a used Auto...

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 Toyota Tundra supercharged, 03 Acura cls-6
The MT would be neat. I'm just worried that the mt trans wont hold the power the auto does if you mod the car. Look at the gt Mustangs. Anybody have any info on the mt in the z4. Who makes it?

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
am 100% waiting here! hear that toyota?!! :p

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm just worried personally the manual will be a thrown together after thought if it happens at all. My biggest concern will be the reliability of it. This engine makes alot of torque and if it doesnt get a really strong trans like the getrag in the mk4 had it's going to be a grenade with an upgraded clutch and mods. Many many cars are very limited by drivetrain strength.
Examples
-The manual getrag in the new mustang gt is a great example.
-2jzgte power behind w58 n/a trans. R154 is better but still not a getrag 6spd.
-Any Mitsubishi with a 4g63 in Awd talons/evos
-The 86 I've read.
-Subarus
My point is the list goes on. Atleast autos have easy mods to strengthen them like tcu flashes. I am a manual trans guy but I'm tired of manual trans headaches

wbradley

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FR-S, 2018 STI, 2017 Prius
Vehicle Showcase
I have no complaints with my '13 Scion FR-S @ 315 HP on the dyno and an HKS supercharger. Stock clutch several years now.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
90+% of manual trans failures are driver and/or setup-related. The MT82 in the Mustang is a good example of that --- some idiots manage to grenade them completely stock and others run deep into the 9's without issue. The former being completely avoidable. It's much harder to 'abuse' an auto drivetrain into a failure mode since the converter and calibration will only allow you to do so much.

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I agree 100 percent. But when your pushing the car to make a time slip or rowing gears fast this shocks the trans it's just a matter of time on a lot of platforms.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.