Snow?

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by King OS, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Dank Sinatra

Dank Sinatra Active Member

Car(s):
    2020 LE Supra
    Liked:
    With the stock tires the answer is the Supra does not do snow. We had our first snow about a month ago, not a ton so I figured I would take the Supra to work. Literally got 20 ft out of my driveway and I was sliding all over the place and couldn’t get up the small hill outside the apt. Had to reverse it all the way back into my parking spot. Since that incident I have a bought an old Tahoe for snow days

2. OP
    OP
    King OS

King OS Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Omar
    Car(s):
    Supra MKV
    Liked:
  3. fuzzysmith

fuzzysmith Member

First Name:
    Smith
    Car(s):
    2020 Supra - Nitro Yellow
    Liked:
    My guy at the dealership recommended going with a separate set of wheels for the winter tires. (I bought the Michelin Alpin in the same size as the stock tires). Something about the stiff sidewalls on the summer tires making it so you'd scuff the hell out of them putting them on and off the wheels. A few lessons learned:
    1 - I had a hell of time sourcing wheels to match since the front and back are different sizes. I ended up needing to install hub spacers as well. Not a big deal, but without them, you get wobbly at high speeds.
    2 - TPMs. Take the time to get the OEM TPMs from Toyota. The tire shop I went to tried multiple sets with no luck. The third party ones simply wouldn't talk to the car.
    3 - The supra can "remember" a set of summer tires and winter tires so you'll only need to go through the TPM programming process this once.

XtremeMaC, King OS and RRKnight like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    King OS

King OS Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Omar
    Car(s):
    Supra MKV
    Liked:
    Yeah I figured i'd have to do that. Did you get two different size winter tires as well? I think i might do that, plus its an excuse to actually use my new shed finally at home to store my summer sets. Do you know how much the tpms are ?

5. fuzzysmith

fuzzysmith Member

First Name:
    Smith
    Car(s):
    2020 Supra - Nitro Yellow
    Liked:
    Yes. I matched the stock set up with a wider pair in back. The Tpms were somewhere around $90 each. They may be back ordered at this point. I was told we grabbed the last 4 in the US as of last week.

6. Cornholio

Cornholio Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Beavis
    Car(s):
    2020 Tungsten Supra Premium
    Liked:
    With a set of winter tires it will do great until it gets too deep that it bottoms out. I had a 370Z with Blizzaks a while back and it got around great with up to a couple inches of snow