Sound Deadening Doors - Ran into a problem

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW Golf R Mk7.5 & Toyota Supra MkV
So I dealt with the sound deadening in the trunk and the rear Subs area to eliminate creaks and rattles, however i noticed that the doors over certain bumps also felt flimsy and rattled a bit.

around the door lock pin there was a vibration which I think was reported as an issue already.

I was too nervous to remove the plastic moulded door liner - would be nice if someone who's done that can do a video as I would like to get some sound deadening behind the outer skin of the door?

I placed a 5mm butyl foam type sound deadening on the outer door panel which dampens the panel nicely.

So after adding sound deadening and putting everything back together - the car felt very solid.

Drove for a full week and then one morning on my way to work the drivers side door switches, mirrors switch and folding mirrors and blind spot mirror indicator simply stopped working.

I tried the remote control by holding down the button and the windows went down but mirrors did not fold.

Drove all day like that.

First thought was that perhaps the plug was not seated properly and came out. so I opened the door up and checked it and everything was perfect.

Next day same issue.

The following day in the morning I wanted to put my window down half way so I used the remote and then leaned over to the passenger side to put that window back up (which by the way works). and off I went. Now everything is working again properly?

I've been driving now for a few days without a glitch??

all i can think of is that perhaps when disconnecting the negative of the battery and reconnecting it the ECU did not boot properly and maybe using the remote to wind the windows down somehow triggered it??

Just thought to write this to see if anyone has had a similar issue. My car has only 2000km's on the ODO.
Sponsored

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
FYI...Not sure if you saw this info below which you might find helpful....

Here is a video below that shows how to remove door panels...

========================================

I also did a write up here on the forum regarding door speakers which includes adding sound deadening material that also has shop instructions included on how to remove door panels:

Improving OE Door Speaker Clarity and Depth

========================================

And finally I posted a pic a while back showing how to fix the door lock plunger rattle / vibration problem while you have the door panel removed...

door plunger rattle fix closeup.jpg

Last edited:

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
As far as your electrical switch issue...kinda sounds like a plug was not seated and locked all the way after reinstalling the door...

Also, when removing the door panel and disconnecting all the door panel plugs I didn't see the need to disconnect the battery...All you simply needed to do is hold the volume / power button down for a few seconds to power down the system and then remove the door panel and unplug them without any issues....

Last edited:
OP
OP

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW Golf R Mk7.5 & Toyota Supra MkV
As far as your electrical switch issue...kinda sounds like a plug was not seated and locked all the way after reinstalling the door...

Also, when removing the door panel and disconnecting all the door panel plugs I didn't see the need to disconnect the battery...All you simply needed to do is hold the volume / power button down for a few seconds to power down the system and then remove the door panel and unplug them without any issues....
Hi Tadda,

thanks for your help. I did see your post and used it it was most helpful, Unfortunately I wanted to also remove the plastic door liner which the video does not show?

as for the loose connection or inproperly seated plug - I really don't think so I checked it how can a car that didnt work all day while driving over rough roads and bumps suddenly work after being turned off over night? Its just wierd. anyway it appears to be stable and hasnt given any problems since.

I am going to take the door panel apart again and attempt to unscrew the plastic lining to get behind it, this time I will take your recommendation of not unplugging the battery and turn the car off.

Thanks
Sponsored