Sport vs normal mode?

Mksupra55

First Name
Jordan
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra mk5
Which one do you guys tend to drive in? I feel like sport mode wears on the engine more and hurts it but I’d like someone to change my mind cause honestly the cars better in sport mode!!

Advertisement

Baperrin

Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Mazda RX8, 2021 Toyota Supra (ordered)
Not sure that I would say it wears the engine more. I wouldn't feel bad about using it in sport mode though. That's what it's made for!

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Well I'm still breaking the car in 95% normal about 5% sport. Sports is great and it's like a manual and holds the gear longer which as manual driver for 20+years I, like a lot.

The normal is great too and economical for cruising around. It's rapid too but less drama and I like that 2x.

Baperrin

Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Mazda RX8, 2021 Toyota Supra (ordered)
Well I'm still breaking the car in 95% normal about 5% sport. Sports is great and it's like a manual and holds the gear longer which as manual driver for 20+years I, like a lot.

The normal is great too and economical for cruising around. It's rapid too but less drama and I like that 2x.
The paddles still make me wish it had a good old fashioned MT myself.

OP

Mksupra55

First Name
Jordan
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra mk5
You are a hero for following the break in period. I couldn’t resist I let it rip like 10 times when I got it and about 10 more before my break in period ended

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Normal mode when I’m just cruising or commuting.

To have fun, Sport mode = transmission in manual.

This way you chose how fast your engine revs when cruising. In sport auto, the car will run like 3000-3200 rpm in 6 at 60 mph, you can almost feel the engine floating and I really don’t like that.

In sport mode, I only use automatic shifting at the drag strip or when I « race » between 2 traffic lights because the transmission shifts at the best moment for maximum traction and acceleration, I really like how it shortshifts when detecting wheelspin in first 3 gears.

RRF985

Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI 6MT, 2020 Supra Premium
I use Sport most of the time but switch to Normal for highway cruising.

Bkuu18

First Name
BK
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
Sport when I want draw attention. Normal to cruise. Only had it for two weeks though, haven’t gotten over 20 mpg yet lol

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
The paddles still make me wish it had a good old fashioned MT myself.
Maybe it's my age, but driving the zf8 is such a pleasure I have forgotten about the manual experience.

I like how when you brake it also downshifts and you can align braking with the downshifts.

Last edited:

Midlifecrisis

Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium - White
Sport mode exclusively. Only time it comes off is when my oldest daughter asks for “sporty” mode to go off when I’m dropping her off at school (wants it quiet). As an engineer, yes, the engine/tranny are seeing higher stresses in sport mode. But isn’t this why you bought it? Sports cars are very bad investments so enjoy it to its fullest!

Highhorse

Reaction score
Car(s)
‘21 Supra 3.0
This isn’t my first vehicle with sport mode (other is a ‘15 Z06) and I have preferred normal most of the time in both. I simply find no advantage to sport most of the time, as I don’t need sport most of the time. Those times when a faster shift and stiffer springs etc actually benefit the drive are just rare, so I don’t throw away fuel, wear and tear when that expenditure doesn’t mean anything. I’m not shy about swapping modes for those times when it can give me the jollies though, and am very pleased with the fact that I have the option then.

Armen383

Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedez-Benz AMG GTR, Toyota Supra MK5, Lexus RX450h
Start in normal, drive till the engine and transmission have warmed up to proper temperatures. Put everything apart from the suspension (unless ripping through twisties) into sport, enjoy. Plus I noticed that the ZF is less jerky in normal city speeds in sport; looking at the gears chosen - just feels more smooth going 1-3(4) than ripping through 1-7 by 50 km/h... Maybe the tune will change that - we'll see after the break-in is complete.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I drive 99.9% of the time in Sport mode with manual shifting. As for jerky shifts, I found that the ZF likes to shift up at 2100-2200rpm for smooth 1-2 shifts, around 3000rpm for 2-3, (other gears are smooth at wider RPM range), and down shifts I gently blip (more like a gentle tap) the throttle while braking at various inputs as it varies by speed and RPM to assist in the rev matching.

If crawling in traffic I usually hit the shift up paddle from 0mph to crawl in 2nd gear which eliminates any 1-2 jerky shifts.

I am a MT driver so these inputs are normal and keeps me entertained while driving my weekend toy. There is a little learning curve, but got the hang of it rather quickly. I've not hit 1000 miles yet..

Advertisement

Advertisement