Model code designation? / Why do we use the A90 name for the 5th Gen Supra?

Do you think we should continue to use the a90 nomenclature even though our cars are not an A chas?

• Total voters

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Powered by an announced, but not detailed, new 3.0-liter inline 6-cylinder engine, the outlet reports that the engine will be debut as a part of Mazda’s new Skyactiv-X family. It also claims that the engine will be coupled to a mild-hybrid system, similar to what a number of luxury manufacturers are doing at the moment to both improve torque and fuel economy.

While little else is known about the forthcoming coupe, Best Car says Mazda is hoping to deliver the car with over 350 horsepower, which would put the car firmly in the Mustang, Camaro, and Supra territory. Pricing was also theorized, with the outlet saying that it would cost between, “5 million to 6 million yen.” At the current conversion rate, you’d be looking at around $45,000.
This probably should be for another thread but as an aside it's worth noting in conjunction with that BestCar quote on Mazda's new Skyactiv inline-six engines:

https://www.motor1.com/news/355606/lexus-rc-mazda-engine-rumor/
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/how-w...-platform-and-inline-six-engine-ar185837.html
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...rwd-platform-and-inline-6-engine-makes-sense/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterl...n-radical-new-6-cylinder-engine/#43e433ad7eb6

Mazda can design such architectures and make innovations in their Skyactiv engine families but even while they want to grow as an automaker and move upmarket they have always had some trouble doing this (anyone recall their almost-launched Amati luxury brand that spawned the 90's 20B Cosmo and a shelved LS400 competitor?).

Enter Toyota/Lexus who are eyeing yet another co-developed series of RWD vehicles. By sharing costs Mazda can then afford to put these engines and a RWD luxury car platform into production to further their efforts to make the Mazda brand name more luxury oriented-- at least by creating for it a couple of high end vehicles above the Mazda6.

I don't buy the Topspeed article's claim that a Celica would get this engine or especially an MR2 but they're probably looking at the co-developed Mazda platform for a future IS and possibly another Lexus coupe (another SC??) that will be a sibling to whatever Mazda's RWD coupe will be. I can also see Toyota Japan expanding this to a new RWD I-6 Mark X as the article suggests (and for once it would be great to get that car in the U.S.). The Land Cruiser was also mentioned as a candidate for that Mazda I-6 engine.

This is just how Toyota is doing things these days. If any of these above rumors do pan out there will be some more nice cars on the horizon.
Sponsored

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
But you're argument about companies these days whose core business isn't sports cars not doing anything cool is weak sauce. Midengined c8, Hellcat, Demon, 4th gen Miata (and its spin off), Type R Civic, new NSX, Kia Stinger, new Mustang, etc.
to be fair - the mustang, mx5 and vette have a long-standing business case. They haven't been out of production and need resurrecting in a new climate.

civic R, hellcat, demon, Kia stinger - and most of the AMG/M/RS range are all souped-up passenger cars.

The NSX is clean sheet - but again - it started life in a different era.

The C8 is a pretty remarkable feat, especially given the american car industry - which is awesome. on a side note, in Au, that's going to be a $150k+ car :(

yeah, they could have based it on the Mark X RWD chassis, or a lexus Chassis - but it would have been more of a GT than sports car. Thrown a V6 in there and called it a day - and to be honest, I'd be more disappointed with that than the current outcome - at least BMW make the best inline sixes in the world, and V6s are shit imho (the sound is enough to put you off right?) I've always tuned my Supras to be more corner-carvers than drag warriors - so the BMW partner direction suited me personally.

The LFA was a modern-day 2000GT and probably one of the most exciting cars I've been in around a racetrack (only a passenger) but mein gott.... what a machine.

I am watching what Mazda do with a keen eye - I hope it comes to fruition! and if the next Toyota sports car is electric, I hope it's not called the Supra... let the name die with (debatable) dignity (cough Holden Commodore)

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Meant Hellcat Challenger, Red Eye and all too. But really, the Demon, wow, what a crazy product to bring to market. But yes, there is no doubt, the Americans have been killing it for the last decade when it comes to enthusiast cars. The Japanese owned it in the 90s, kinda doubtlful they will have another run like that. Well, kinda doubtful the sports car will have another run like that.

Mazda yes! I'm a die hard Toyota fan, but of all the Japanese brands, Mazda is the one thats been tempting me away from Toyota the most. A Miata RF is almost the perfect car, if it had about a 20cm longer wheel base and an inline 6 under the hood, I'd already own one. Man I wish that Skyactive i6 had happened about 7 years ago...

BMW making the best inline 6s in the world... I would not of given them that crown when the 2jzgte was in production. They got it by attrition for a long time, unsure how the b58 stacks up to the new Merc i6. Looking forward to Mazda getting into a comparo with those 2.

I've always thought the 350z/370z vq v6 sounds pretty good. Not inline 6 good, but good enough. v6s have their place (under camry hoods ha ha. mostly kidding).

The LFA is utterly amazing, and utterly irrelevant to your average enthusiast.

Last edited:

Nexus90

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra A91 Edition, 19 Camry, 04 Sequoia
So i wanted to post this because i find myself a bit personally troubled. i notice a lot of people reference the 21's as the a91 even though the "a91 edition" is just a trim level. and in general i also see our cars refer to as the a90, this is more palatable i guess, but even Toyota says our car's are not a90s but they want us to adopt the name, hell its way better than j29. maybe I'm just looking for useless interaction and throwing around of opinions but how do you guys and gals feel? should the 20's and 21's be referenced as a90 and a91 respectively, should they just be the 20's and the 21's?

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
personally doesnt bother me. I know its just technically another marketing technique by Toyota to make us feel like it has a closer connection to the MKIV than it actually does. However as you stated it sounds and feels better to say A90 than J29 and honestly that for me is enough. Theres nothing i do with my car which really requires me to call it a J29

Nexus90

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra A91 Edition, 19 Camry, 04 Sequoia
Lock down boredom... :dunno:
i dont join forums until i have the car of the respective forum. i didnt check to see that the subject was spoken on, this was simply my looking for interaction from fellow members.

Spoiler

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
After reading through all of this, I have decided to rename all of my ex-wives as follows:

EX1
EX2
EX3

(despite what the differences were with their chassis’)

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
While googling J29 sources to show others that "A90/A91" chassis don't actually exist, the most pathetic poll result from 2019 popped up stating that over 80% of members here support labelism.

Then I go to the general page, and of course, Supra fanboys are posting their rebadged BMW topics with a "A90" and "A91" title on it. :doh: This forum is a disease.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ get lost then?

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
While googling J29 sources to show others that "A90/A91" chassis don't actually exist, the most pathetic poll result from 2019 popped up stating that over 80% of members here support labelism.

Then I go to the general page, and of course, Supra fanboys are posting their rebadged BMW topics with a "A90" and "A91" title on it. :doh: This forum is a disease.
I never understood the cult-like / gatekeeping mentality of elitist enthusiasts in any community. From gaming, to beer, to automotive, and beyond... It seems to always stem from wanting to feel special/exclusive. Then the vitriol that comes to the surface when someone doesn't share the same views as them is ridiculous.

What's funny is seeing someone with a well-defined stan mentality calling others fanboys.
Sponsored