freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Hey guys (gals)...
I've been doing track days for about 10yrs or so...either in my Porsche 911 or my 3 series turned race car...both these cars I ran Toyo ra1 tires and I knew starting cold pressures to get to the recommended hot pressure...

I'll be doing my first trackday with the new Supra but I'm unsure what cold pressure I should start with? I've never used the Michelin sports on track before...

So what's the cold pressure and what pressure should I be aiming for hot?

TIA for any recommendation...
Steve
Sponsored

OP
OP

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@Benjilis ...
What are you talkin about...
I asked a question on a tire I don't know about...
In what way am I tryin to flex...
If you have no knowledge of pressures for track use then please go elsewhere...
Steve

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Hey guys (gals)...
I've been doing track days for about 10yrs or so...either in my Porsche 911 or my 3 series turned race car...both these cars I ran Toyo ra1 tires and I knew starting cold pressures to get to the recommended hot pressure...

I'll be doing my first trackday with the new Supra but I'm unsure what cold pressure I should start with? I've never used the Michelin sports on track before...

So what's the cold pressure and what pressure should I be aiming for hot?

TIA for any recommendation...
Steve
28-30 psi cold - trackday.
Reset your tpms at this pressure.
Enjoy the track day.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
it depends on ambient temperature and how much you'll be on the edge of the tire performance.

I started /w 32 psi on warm day and car passed above 40 PSI. However, later inspection of tire revealed that outer tire is worn more than inner. that was my 1st set of PSS. I'm on different tires now and still analyzing this current set.

my recommendation is, start with moderately lower pressure and bring it down as you need it. given 39 PSI was recommended, start with 36~37 and see how you feel. also having tire monitor on infotainment screen helps a lot. if you feel it needs to be lower, you can do that for next session. it is easier to lower the pressure than pump air in at the track.

you may find thread below helpful.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/track-settings.6086/#post-91371

notice that my recommendation changed since then -34 psi before. This was due to tire inspection was done after those days.

OP
OP

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@nibble...
So it sounds like I may chew through these tires pretty quickly no matter what...

On the other cars I've tracked using toyo ra1 and a very aggressive track alignment (2.5 of degrees of camber) I wore out the outer edges first....
I really hoping to get a couple of track days with these tires?

Thanks for the recommendations..
Steve

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
@nibble...
So it sounds like I may chew through these tires pretty quickly no matter what...

On the other cars I've tracked using toyo ra1 and a very aggressive track alignment (2.5 of degrees of camber) I wore out the outer edges first....

Steve
Test it out as is and find out what you need. as for me, I go to almost every NASA NE events. in 2020, i had about 20+ track days.

so far, only mod I'm having on this car is sway bar on both front & rear. see my build thread for more information.

OP
OP

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks guys for the insight...
Guess I'll shoot for hot psi of 36ish n go from there...
Thanks again
Steve

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
@nibble...

Steve
Just as an additional reference, in 55-60 degree ambient I was starting at 30-32 cold and they did fine 20 minutes at a time, adjusting through the day like the others mentioned to hover around 36-38 hot.

You're going to cycle through the performance lifespan of this tire pretty quick. If your intention is to track this regularly you should just start eyeing some better consumables for the job -- the 200 TW market is insane these days. FWIW -2.5 isn't that aggressive especially on the front axle when you're heading into r compound territory which the RA1 arguably is. Pyro reading will tell you where you need to be.

Have fun!

OP
OP

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@handsoffsam ...Thanks man...just hoping to get 1 weekend(8 20min session) and tomorrow (open track private day)....
And I guess I misspoke.. an aggressive street alignment on my previous cars...
But thank you for the info..
either way I'm gonna have fun til the rubber gives up...
Sponsored