Steering rack failure...

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a few
I wonder how the dealer deemed the steering rack failure as a result of tuning the car or putting it in dyno mode. Based on the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, they cannot deny warranty unless the failure was something directly related to what was done. Even if it was a failure caused by tuning the car, they cannot deny the entire warranty.
It's like them denying warranty because you changed your own lightbulb.

twarner776

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE, Audi A6
While concerning about the failure, the warranty issue may have been more of a result of swapping the rack between the 2 cars....not sure why that would matter but just a thought.

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a few
While concerning about the failure, the warranty issue may have been more of a result of swapping the rack between the 2 cars....not sure why that would matter but just a thought.

I'm wondering why the rack needed to be swapped in the first place.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
I agree. The EPS controller would be associated with the other car, and I doubt these guys had the software tools to re-train it to the new car. So you have a broken rack with an EPS controller from another car that has a record of dyno mode. That probably raised some eyebrows and maybe caused Toyota to stop looking any deeper. That's unfortunate if this is a real issue that they need to address.

The other problem is that the guy is talking about BMW EPS issues that pertain to older cars, and the kit he linked isn't even for those issues, it's for a noise issue. He's not on-message here.

Supra Dupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV LE (Nocturnal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. The EPS controller would be associated with the other car, and I doubt these guys had the software tools to re-train it to the new car. So you have a broken rack with an EPS controller from another car that has a record of dyno mode. That probably raised some eyebrows and maybe caused Toyota to stop looking any deeper. That's unfortunate if this is a real issue that they need to address.

The other problem is that the guy is talking about BMW EPS issues that pertain to older cars, and the kit he linked isn't even for those issues, it's for a noise issue. He's not on-message here.
Aren't these the same guys who were saying that they're developing a manual for MKVs for ~$12,000? They're not exactly inspiring confidence by posting this sort of stuff. (Not that the steering rack failure isn't a real issue, but for the reasons you've stated here.)

lsdlsd88

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MX-5 mk1, Celica mk7
I think you are forgetting about the other guy with similar symptoms, completely stock car, failing only for been run on dyno?

meh.

Supra Dupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV LE (Nocturnal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
They're both worrisome, but EAG seems to be leaving a lot of stuff out / generally misinformed about a lot of things relating to this. That other guy's steering rack also didn't fail anywhere near as hard as EAG's (not that that means it isn't concerning, but yeah...).

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I wonder how the dealer deemed the steering rack failure as a result of tuning the car or putting it in dyno mode. Based on the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, they cannot deny warranty unless the failure was something directly related to what was done. Even if it was a failure caused by tuning the car, they cannot deny the entire warranty.
It's like them denying warranty because you changed your own lightbulb.
That's not how that works. They can deny any claim they want. Then it's up to you to lawyer up and prove otherwise. And by the time you're done, you will have paid more in fees than the repair.
If you don't want warranty claims denied, DON'T MOD THE CAR. it's that simple. You do things that might get your claims denied, like a tune, a dyno run, whatever, you take the risk of this happening.

YungMercureal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium Supra - Nitro Yellow
I think you are forgetting about the other guy with similar symptoms, completely stock car, failing only for been run on dyno?

meh.
While concerning, I think we need a larger sample size. There have been plenty of cars on the dyno and so far we've only seen two examples of the failure. I'm not saying that the either situation isn't somewhat concerning, but sample size is important. You'd think that we would have seen more examples of the failure by now, especially with the amount of modified ones out there. Granted it is a safety issue so it's fair to be concerned about it.

We'll have to see if this continues to happen on any other cars, stock or modified and whether or not they've been on the dyno.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
Get ready MKV owners, this could only be the start of what’s to come. EAG mentioned this is a known issue with the EPS on BMW’s.

What’s also something to really focus on is Toyota denying the warranty. This can get ugly.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
Get ready MKV owners, this could only be the start of what’s to come. EAG mentioned this is a known issue with the EPS on BMW’s.
EAG is way off on this, they are unrelated issues. If their problem is real, it's a new problem and I wish they were being a little more focused on a diagnosis/solution. Trying to lump this in with older BMW EPS problems, and linking to repair kits for different issues, really hurts their credibility.
Sponsored