SunTek PPF edge lifting

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I recently had front end ppf applied. Because of the sculpted nature of the front end, a significant portion was cut to fit. It’s been ~4 days since picking up the car and I notice a particular edge lifting under the nose where it meets the grill.

5CD861B5-A02A-49F9-964D-FA66BC9DB2EB.jpeg

F4CB14CE-2BF3-4C79-B9DF-108C710E4B88.jpeg

Initially it was more than these 2 small portions (essentially one part, >1cm), though I applied pressure because the amount of lift was too much for me and air flow kept pushing it up more so it created what you see above. I plan on talking to my installer about it tomorrow, but it was already a little bit of a headache because they received a defective roll of film from SunTek which delayed completion. Is there anything I can do in the meantime until I take it back?
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I'd never leave ppf in the middle like that....

With that if you have a steamer heat gun, perhaps hold it for few seconds, get a soap water try to push it down. If that fails, do a super fine cut and try like that.

But best course of action is to wait for tomorrow as they should stand behind their work within a week....

Last edited:

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Your best bet is to apply a touch of heat to the lifting area with a heat gun or blow dryer… then try to press it back on place with your finger. If dirt has gotten beneath the film in the lifted edge… I would request the film to be replace.

Honestly… I more concerned about the short piece of film. That’s not the way it should have ever been applied. The installer needs to have the correct size film. For instance the hood is a 72” piece.

OP
OP
obito

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Your best bet is to apply a touch of heat to the lifting area with a heat gun or blow dryer… then try to press it back on place with your finger. If dirt has gotten beneath the film in the lifted edge… I would request the film to be replace.

Honestly… I more concerned about the short piece of film. That’s not the way it should have ever been applied. The installer needs to have the correct size film. For instance the hood is a 72” piece.
The hood application was good, but they ran into an issue doing the bumper in particular with the defective roll. The gap looks more exaggerated in the photo but I agree, why not just cover the whole portion. It’s my first time having PPF installed. Thanks for the tip. I’ll keep an eye out for dirt but would they essentially try the same thing to fix it?

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I recently had front end ppf applied. Because of the sculpted nature of the front end, a significant portion was cut to fit. It’s been ~4 days since picking up the car and I notice a particular edge lifting under the nose where it meets the grill.

Initially it was more than these 2 small portions (essentially one part, >1cm), though I applied pressure because the amount of lift was too much for me and air flow kept pushing it up more so it created what you see above. I plan on talking to my installer about it tomorrow, but it was already a little bit of a headache because they received a defective roll of film from SunTek which delayed completion. Is there anything I can do in the meantime until I take it back?
I would spray some water or tint safe window cleaner in there to flush out any dust. Then I would take a hair dryer and heat the area while pressing the crease down. Keep pressing down until it cools. It should stay down after that.

I’ve done this many times with good results.

-RJM

Z4UPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
This, bring it back, have them redo it correctly.
I agree. The PPF should be closer to the edge if it can't be tucked in that area.

Z4UPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium

I hope you didn't select a "low budget...deep discount" installer. :)

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
No actually, I didn’t. It’s been brought back
I know some of the film companies suntek, xpel, 3m etc have different patterns, but that gap from the lower grille should have been unacceptable from the start. Glad to know they fixed it.
Sponsored