tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I recently had the panels off in the cargo area and also did some further investigation into the OE audio system wiring and component layout ...Here is what I have gathered so far which might or might not be helpful...I don't have pin designations yet but our system and components are, of no surprise, identical to that of BMW's...

================================

OE Audio Amp and ASD Amp location:

Amplifier.jpg

Harman Audio Amp and Active Sound Design Amp Location and Mounts:

Supra HK Amp and ASD lettered.jpg

Audio Amplifier Connections:

Amplifier  3 with labels.jpg

Harman Audio Amp p/n 2622901:

Amplifier part number.jpg

ASD Amp Connection:

ASD pins.jpg

ASD Amp p/n 9442917:

ASD part number.jpg

Supra Audio System Diagram:

AMP ASD Diagram Supra.jpg

Active Sound Design Description:
Active sound design description 2.jpg

Sponsored

Last edited:

Jason In2details

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR Yellow
Based on the ASD being a stand alone thing I wounder if just unplugging what would happen? a Warning light or malfunction? In my 18 Honda Ridgeline a similar unit was just unplugged and it made big improvement.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Based on the ASD being a stand alone thing I wounder if just unplugging what would happen? a Warning light or malfunction? In my 18 Honda Ridgeline a similar unit was just unplugged and it made big improvement.
I'm sure without coding it disabled first it would likely throw an error - whether it would indicate in the gauge/nav as a malfunction or not is less clear. I guess the big question is whether or not the coding prevents any signal to or from the unit or simply mutes the output but leaves the signal intact.

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The ASD module is initially programmed and then communicates with the system via CAN bus as digicidal stated...I'm not sure if the module would throw a code if disconnected and need to test this to see...

Bimmercode disables the audio generator within the ASD module from sending audio overlay signals from the ASD to Amp...That said, I'm not sure if there is still a residual low level bias voltage left on those signal lines once disabled?

Jason In2details

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR Yellow
I need to get tool to reset error codes still. Once i get it I will just unplug the ASD and see what happens. In my 18 Honda Ridgeline it has a active sound reduction processor that uses a mic and then cancels sound via the sub , just unplugging it worked no error codes. Over winter im going to build very high end system in the Supra. Audison amps and DSP. Planning on making new door panels to hold 6.5 inch speakers. Most likely a single 12inch and the trunk area will get total rework removing the stock sub box.

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just found this thread and video posted by our BMW cousins and apparently simply unplugging the ASD module does disable the ASD audio overlay fed to the Amp without throwing codes...Note in the video they have the same amp and ASD modules as our Supra does...I'm going to try this later since I currently have the panels removed...

Disabling Active Sound

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got the chance to unplug the ASD module today...No codes were thrown...So aside from disabling ASD with Bimmercode you can also disable ASD by simply unplugging the module...

unplug ASD.jpg

akasonny

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium (Downshift Blue)
The ASD module is initially programmed and then communicates with the system via CAN bus as digicidal stated...I'm not sure if the module would throw a code if disconnected and need to test this to see...

Bimmercode disables the audio generator within the ASD module from sending audio overlay signals from the ASD to Amp...That said, I'm not sure if there is still a residual low level bias voltage left on those signal lines once disabled?
None that I can detect.

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
None that I can detect.
I actually removed the ASD plug that connects to the Audio AMP today to verify if noise or low level signals were still active from ASD module after being disabled using Bimmercode...the lines were quiet...

I was also pleased to see that physically removing the ASD module from system (unplugging it) didn't throw any codes which was really not surprising as the module only receives info from the CAN bus during initial ASD programming and does not transmit any info onto the bus...This is good info for those of us planning to upgrade the audio amp and deleting the ASD module from the audio system all together..

Last edited:

akasonny

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium (Downshift Blue)
I actually removed the ASD plug that connects to the Audio AMP today to verify if noise or low level signals were still active from ASD module after being disabled using Bimmercode...the lines were quiet...

I was also pleased to see that physically removing the ASD module from system (unplugging it) didn't throw any codes which was really not surprising as the module only receives info from the CAN bus during initial ASD programming and does not transmit any info onto the bus...This is good info for those of us planning to upgrade the audio amp and deleting the ASD module from the audio system all together..
I didn't scope it but...glad you could confirm it.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner

It's likely that replacement amps (at least those specifically designed for drop-in PnP swaps) would include DSP in the amp module. However, for those doing a more custom install... that extra real estate could be very useful for something like an RTA module or outboard DSP. Thinking something along the lines of JL TwK88:
g13698101-o_front.jpg

Trojan1992

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RS3, GT3, TRD Pro 4Runner and 2020 V60 Polestar T8
You guys are doing yeoman's work here.

I just got a V60 T8 Polestar and it has the Bowers & Wilkens stereo which is better than the Burmester my wife has in her Taycan and now I am looking to improve the Supra. Thanks for the insights.

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW Golf R Mk7.5 & Toyota Supra MkV
I recently had the panels off in the cargo area and also did some further investigation into the OE audio system wiring and component layout ...Here is what I have gathered so far which might or might not be helpful...I don't have pin designations yet but our system and components are, of no surprise, identical to that of BMW's...

================================

OE Audio Amp and ASD Amp location:

Amplifier.jpg

Harman Audio Amp and Active Sound Design Amp Location and Mounts:

Audio Amplifier Connections:

Amplifier  3 with labels.jpg

Harman Audio Amp p/n 2622901:

Amplifier part number.jpg

ASD Amp Connection:

ASD pins.jpg

ASD Amp p/n 9442917:

ASD part number.jpg

Supra Audio System Diagram:

AMP ASD Diagram Supra.jpg

Active Sound Design Description:
Active sound design description 2.jpg

Anyone have more a more detailed diagram yet? pinouts? wiring colour coding and polarity?

I would like to do a full rebuild. I am not happy with the sound.

Thinking of the following:

DSP to fix the signal - connect high level front and rear output from exiting amplifier Summed and retuned with time alignment.
6 Channel amplifier

high quality 4 inch component set for doors
6 inch woofers and a shallow mount 10 inch in the a new box removing the complete existing subwoofer arrangement.

I would prefer to simply go for a 2.1 system but I am concerned I will not get enough midbass out of the 4inch component set. The issue I have with the current sound is that they are using the current OEM 8 inch woofers to compensate for the midbass of the current 4 inch door speaker and it doesnt sound right. due to space constraints I dont want to leave the 8 inch woofers in there.

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW Golf R Mk7.5 & Toyota Supra MkV
Im having my doors rebuilt to hold a 6.5 midbass. It going to cost a lot but the outcome should be great. Here is a video series im doing of the build.
My Supra Stereo build series
I subscribed to your channel, so I have been following your build. There are very few Supra's on internet having a proper sound system done.

6.5 inchs in the doors would be so good. Love to see how yours goes..

I am going to have to take the doors off and trace both the wiring color coding to each speaker as well as polarity.

I am reluctant to alter the doors so I will have to stick with front&rear midbass at 4inch speakers and add new subs.
Sponsored