Supra facelift discussion thread

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
i dont think you realize how BMW works. the LCI (facelift) for the Z4 has already been confirmed. 6-7 yrs is typical for when looking at the lifecycle of past Zs.
What were the changes that bmw made to the exterior of the z4 2003-2008?
Sponsored

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Ok maybe a tiny bit more of a change than the gt 350 :dunno: Kinda like the 18 5.0 facelift

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I bet the driver assist and engine cooling stuff hinders drastic facelift possibilities. I don't see Toyota changing the now iconic nose and headlight design. That leaves very little to play with.
Same, but for a different reason. I don't see them messing with the nose because that would probably mean they would have to rework the lines on the hood to match which equals more money. If I had to guess, a J29 facelift would be very similar to the A80 in which only the housing of the lights were changed along with a grille and a new steering wheel for the interior.

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
I suspect only minor tweaks from here until the J29 is retired. If anything, I suspect most of those tweaks will come from adjustments to the availability of parts in the BMW supply chain rather than Toyota calling for them. Perhaps the occasional aesthetics only “Special Editions” as they have with the A91 and CF editions here in the North America. Such a low volume car I can’t see them doing much else. If someone is holding out for a manual or the M4’s engine I think you might as well get a different car altogether, live for the here and now.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
as i said before, the Z4 is getting a LCI so why wouldnt the Supra get the same treatment?

OP
OP
supraboi

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
I suspect only minor tweaks from here until the J29 is retired. If anything, I suspect most of those tweaks will come from adjustments to the availability of parts in the BMW supply chain rather than Toyota calling for them. Perhaps the occasional aesthetics only “Special Editions” as they have with the A91 and CF editions here in the North America. Such a low volume car I can’t see them doing much else. If someone is holding out for a manual or the M4’s engine I think you might as well get a different car altogether, live for the here and now.
Supposedly the manual is coming next year. If true, that's not too long of a wait.

A clearer screenshot from the video, because this is getting funny, lol.
I can't release any more info as I don't want my source's job to be at risk.

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 12.57.56 PM.png
Manual is apparently coming and from the sound of it to the 3L for MY23.

Merry Christmas :D

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
So there seems to be a lot of debate on whether or not a facelift is coming and this topic has even spewed into a few of the other threads. My 2 cent on the matter, which a number of people on this thread have already touched on.

Despite the car being unveiled in January 2019 the final design was already locked in years in advance. The official patent date is September 2016. However, iirc @Carmaker1 stated it was already frozen sometime in 2015. Regardless, 3-4 years is eternity for a car designer and in their eyes why the initial product already feels dated when the roll out takes place. This is why as soon as a car is unveiled a new team is almost immediately assigned to gather feedback and make cosmetic changes where needed.

We also have to keep in mind that a facelift can be something as simple as new lights and restyled bumpers. Case in point, A80 and E85. NOT all refresh are major overhauls like with the 2014 Camry and 2021 Lexus IS where pretty much every exterior panels were retouched.

Now addressing some of the questions and comments people have posted.

Why haven't we seen a camo prototype?
Well, Toyota has their own private track in Japan. The same reason why we never saw public testing of the refresh 2021 IS or IS500.

But the car has such a short life cycle.
It's not really short considering past Z4 lifespan. It's worth noting that the 3rd and 7th gen MR2 and Celica also had a short life cycle and they both received a cosmetic refreshes.

With such a small number of sales, why would Toyota even bother with a facelift?
To say competitive with the rest of the pack and even the worst selling Supra history in history (A80) with 45k world wide had a refresh.

COVID COVID COVID
If I had to take a guess, work started way before the pandemic even took place and has probably already been completed by now.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Here is the refresh 8 series. It looks like BMW just changed up the front bumper and grille a bit.

Before
2e41d223-bmw-8-series-2019-1.jpg

After
2023-BMW-8-Series-Facelift-76.jpg

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Why does it look like an E89 on Steroids now?
BMW-E89-Z4-Roadster-images-02-1024x683.jpg
Sponsored